Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,921
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
11 members (Jward87, catscratch, Sunil, canyoncreek, Joe7328, DrewSh, teehjaeh57, jludwig, Shorthose, Justin W, Don Kennedy), 881 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I have not seen any postings related to this story, I thought it was interesting...

Two aquatic biologists have proven that you don't have to travel to exotic locales to search for unusual new species. They discovered a distinctive species of crayfish in Tennessee and Alabama that is at least twice the size of its competitors. Its closest genetic relative, once thought to be the only species in its genus and discovered in 1884 about 130 miles away in Kentucky, can grow almost as big as a lobster.

The researchers found their first specimen under one of the biggest rocks in the deepest part of a creek that has been a (literal) stomping ground for aquatic biologists for at least half a century. The new species is described in a paper in the Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington.

The new crayfish belongs to the genus Barbicambarus, which in addition to being big is very distinctive. Most notably, Barbicambarus have unusual "bearded" antennae; the antennae are covered with a luxurious fringe of tiny, hair-like bristles, called setae, which enhance their sensory function.

"This isn't a crayfish that someone would have picked up and just said, 'Oh, it's another crayfish,' and put it back," said University of Illinois aquatic biologist Chris Taylor, the curator of crustaceans at the Illinois Natural History Survey and a co-discoverer of the new species with Eastern Kentucky University biological sciences professor Guenter Schuster. "If you were an aquatic biologist and you had seen this thing, because of the size and the setae on the antennae, you would have recognized it as something really, really different and you would have saved it."

The new species, Barbicambarus simmonsi is more than twice the size of a typical crayfish found in Shoal Creek (which drains into the Tennessee River) -- and yet generations of aquatic biologists who
frequented the area somehow missed it.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Nice coloration on the second picture.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Nice find JHAP. Very cool!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
JHAP, because we know that you love crayfish just a tad more than GSF, I think that second crayfish picture is the answer to the question you've been asking yourself for a few years now...."what kind of large, full-body tatoo do I want to get on my back?"

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
But how's the taste?

F
F
If this is not photoshopped or some kind of crustaceous snipe hunt I'm impressed. Somehow the pics lack credability a little??

Attached Images
crawdad.jpg

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Got a link ?

If its real then a bunch of streams in the area will soon be off limits to anyone but aquatic biologists .

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Greg2010
But how's the taste?

On JHAP'S back? Man, that's just wrong. grin

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I grew up in shoal creek. I dont know if its the same shoal creek, but i use to find some monster crayfish in it..(not that big though)

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
JHAP, because we know that you love crayfish just a tad more than GSF, I think that second crayfish picture is the answer to the question you've been asking yourself for a few years now...."what kind of large, full-body tatoo do I want to get on my back?"

another reason to wear his new skinny jeans

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RAH

Perhaps they are measuring just the body and not the claws?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
If you cut and paste Barbicambarus simmonsi into Google you will find a multitude of links related to this new find. I did not "doctor" any the photos above. They both appear on multiple websites.

As of this point I have no plans to include those images into my full body tattoo.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I did not mean to suggest that anyone on this forum was being deceptive, just that the popular-press articles may have led some to believe that these are giant crayfish similar in size to lobsters.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
No worries RAH, for some unknown reason some readers of this forum think that I would post altered photos to this site. I can't imagine where they would get that idea.

The strange thing is I have read a multitude of articles on this new species and haven't found one that indicated how the mud bug was measured.

The crayfish/lobster standard for measuring is to measure the length of the carapace - from a point between the eyes back to the end of the main shell before the tail segments.

The more I think about it though I doubt that is how it was measured though because that would be one huge crayfish!

Strange that none of the articles mention how the bugger was measured though.

They could of at least taken a photo of the crayfish next to a ruler.

And no not the Queen of England type of ruler.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
The one I caught over the summer looks that big. Probably not the same species though.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thats an eater... lol

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
B
B
The other closely related species is found in the green river system in Kentucky, I believe. It is called the Bottlebrush crayfish, due to its feathery antennae. These frequently reach 10 inches in length. They are difficult to collect, as they are also found under large rocks in deeper portions of the river. I personally know several people who have collected them while sampling. They say that they are amazing. I plan to take a trip down there this year, and collect a handful, and try my luck at breeding them. Might be a viable aquaculture species. Might be more viable in temperate climates than the Australian giant crayfish species. I happen to have a Kentucky scientific collectors permit, so there are no legality issues. Just not allowed to touch federally listed species. Have to wonder how they would fare in a pond.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
brier - if you find some of thees crayfish trophies get us a couple pictures.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/25/11 07:22 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
F
BRIAR After reading your post Evil Knievel has decided to come out of retirement!!!!! He is going to attempt his most Daring Stunt EVER>! He is going to run across Ethiopia with two of those Bottlebrush crawdads tied around his neck!! Will be carried live on Versus 3/10/11 8pm EST Don't miss it.

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I'd pay to see that, are they gonna dig him up, or is he gonna have to crawl out of the grave. crazy grin

B
B
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
brier - if you find some of thees crayfish trophies get us a couple pictures.

Absolutely. I actually have several photo tanks, and plan to take some good pics. When sampling streams, photos are usually all I take.

F
F
WELL TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH EVIL NEVER REALLY DIED...THERE IS NO BODY IN THAT GRAVE (much like the Jim Morison-Elvis myth) he is flying in with the NATURE BOY -RIC FLAIR!! and then riding from the airport to the starting line on a custom 75 Honda CB350 and instead of running he has decided to Push an old Elsinore 250 to make the stunt even more death defying!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Need help
by Jward87 - 04/23/24 11:37 AM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by Kanon M - 04/23/24 11:04 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/23/24 10:16 AM