Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,020
Posts558,577
Members18,537
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
2 members (Boondoggle, Willy Wonka), 579 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
davatsa Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Yesterday, I caught my first ever HSB! I must say it is pretty neat to catch a healthy, hard-fighting 2 pound fish that you once held as a fingerling. I felt like I had succeeded in completing a rite of passage of some sort.

On a more interesting note, my dad and I also removed 73 bullheads by hook and line in just 2.5 hours. Unfortunately, a neighbor has hundreds in his pond, and they end up in both of our back ponds when the creek rises after a big rain. He also has carp and alligator gar, but I don't want to think about that right now. We didn't realize how many bullheads made it into the larger of the two ponds until we were enjoying ourselves on the pier, anxiously awaiting for the feeder to go off. A few minutes before feeding time, the bullheads moved in and literally covered the surface of the water in front of the feeder.

We had been fearing/expecting this, but our hearts sank as our pellet-trained LMB, BG, and RES were cheated out of a meal by the fat, aggressive bullheads. Nothing is worse than seeing these fish devour Aquamax 400! The bullheads had probably been at this awhile as they had the timing down perfectly. The next day, we went on a search and destroy mission, and it seems that we at least dented the population. I caught only four more today, along with a few LMB in their second growing year and 6-10" gills.

We don't know how many bullheads remain in that pond, but I'd guess 150-250, all from 4" to 1.5 lbs. We're relocating our second feeder that was already on that pond to another spot, and will try the same technique after the bullheads begin coming to that one. Unlike my experience with CCs, the bullheads never seemed bothered or scared by us catching so many of their friends. They remained in the same area (near the feeder) and kept falling for our offerings. Has anyone had any similar experiences with bullheads? Are these exceptionally unconditioned fish, or are they just "dumber" than CCs or other types of catfish? I imagine their relatively small size (and thus young age) contributed to their catchability, as well as the fact that the pond gets little fishing pressure, since we are trying not to disturb the LMB too much until they get another growing season or two under their belts or we being seeing more yoy LMB. The BG, however, are ready for a harvest. Any tips or suggestions on what to do and how to do it?

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
First great work on the HSB. You are now addicted to raising and catching your own.

Yep 2 ways at least. Seine deployed and used as per pic below or a lift net (some call it a drop net). Deploy them at the feeder and leave them for a week . Then come back and harvest. I like the seine method better .

Feed into the open area between the seine and the bank for a week. When the fish start feeding good pull in the coiled net via the shore line and drag them to shore.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
That's a much better idea than what I had. I was going to suggest using a funnel trap and some cheese bait. We've used them and bullheads are pretty easily caught. www.nylonnet.com I couldn't find it on their site, but it's part #ft5

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I, too, am about to get medieval on my bullheads.

I was throwing out feed last week, and they really got on the gravy train. Just nasty.

I'm going to try some of those plastic trash can type traps and see what they do.

My guesstimates make me think I need to remove 300-400 bullies in order to sleep better at night.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
davatsa Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

Eric- that is a great idea, and we'll probably try it in a week or two. My only worry is that there are still LMB, BG, and HSB coming to the feeder, even though the bullheads are the ones bullying them out of food and staying on the surface. We'll probably catch some of those LMB and BG with your technique, and I hope we can get all of them back in the water quickly and painlessly.

Cheyenne- Trapping is also a good option. I like the cheese bait idea...that should catch the bullheads and not many of the other species. Maybe some HSB?

Sunil- Good luck, and I'm afraid the numbers you suggested for removal in your pond are a more accurate figure for our pond than what I initially estimated. Let me know how you do it and what works best for you. Watch out for the spines when you handle them...they remind me of the poisonous saltwater catfish, which we call hardheads. I eventually just started wearing an old work glove on my left hand to grab them when we were catching so many. It works well and you can grab them quickly without worrying about how you're handling them.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dave, the bullheads are conditioned to the feed. Get a nylon paint strainer bag and put some(?) feed in it. Hang it in a large trap and toss some pellets around the sides when you submerge it. It doesn't hurt to leave some pellets loose in the trap. You will also get some bluegills but they can be released.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I think the cheese will trap bullheads only. The pellet idea is good as well, but you will trap some BG, I don't know about HSB but we haven't caught any with cheese

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cheese sounds good to me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
Stocking a new 17 acre, 25 ft deep pond in KC, MO
by fletchccc - 05/20/24 11:12 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by Fishingadventure - 05/20/24 07:17 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Fish Finder?
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 04:03 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
BG sex?
by Bill Cody - 05/16/24 08:50 PM
Newly Uploaded Images