Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,994
Posts558,311
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,578
ewest 21,508
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jason D, cgmbny, JKK, Zep, Theo Gallus, Brian from Texas, esshup, Cliff76169), 914 guests, and 235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
You guys are too funny!
It must be winter.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Ken [/quote] We are pretty sure he and Randy are the same guy who just set up two profiles. ... though Randy doesn't seem to have the same culinary gifts that Ken has! grin

Welcome to the posting side of the forum! [/quote]

I have seen both in person at the same time so they can only be twins ! laugh

Absolutely welcome to posting.

Last edited by ewest; 01/14/11 10:52 AM.

M
Fingerling
Fingerling
M
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! We will revisit this in a few months and see is you still feel the same :grin

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I was a lurker for a year before I signed up, probably some of us are afraid of saying something dumb if we don't have much knowledge of the subject.
I'm not afraid of saying something dumb anymore, whistle and probably a few people wish I was still a lurker. grin

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
AP everyone here has learned a lot by the exchange of info. All of us have made dumb posts in the process. In the process we have avoided a lot of bad mistakes and made good friends.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
I have seen both in person at the same time so they can only be twins ! laugh

At the last Pond Boss conference we were easy to tell apart. Randy and JHAP (where is that boy???) made friends with the skunk.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
I was a lurker for a year before I signed up, probably some of us are afraid of saying something dumb if we don't have much knowledge of the subject.
I'm not afraid of saying something dumb anymore, whistle and probably a few people wish I was still a lurker. grin

Just think how boring this forum would be if everybody only posted well thought out, politically correct, and highly researched answers like those from EWEST and Cody. We all have learned an incredible amount from people like EWEST and Cody, but they've also helped keep this a very welcoming and animosity-free site. It wouldn't have been anywhere near as much fun learning this stuff if we didn't have people like ********, ******, and ***** ***.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond

Just think how boring this forum would be if everybody only posted well thought out, politically correct, and highly researched answers like those from EWEST and Cody. We all have learned an incredible amount from people like EWEST and Cody, but they've also helped keep this a very welcoming and animosity-free site. It wouldn't have been anywhere near as much fun learning this stuff if we didn't have people like ********, ******, and ***** ***.

I was counting those asterisks Ken! Didn't see five in a row so I guess I'm safe. smirk

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Sorry that I'm all out of dumb stuff to say and stupid questions to ask...I'll try to get to work on that. wink

Seriously, just stopping by to say that I haven't been abducted by aliens or anything...I have been abducted by the business I bought in November.

I'm back to being an occasional lurker myself - thank God and Boss Lusk for the print magazine! At least I'm staying a little bit connected.

The "sunshine" in how busy this business is keeping me is that our busiest season will always be the winter time when it's too cold for my old weather-weenie self to be out there fishing anyway!

Tight lines, y'all! See ya' in the spring.

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
B
Lunker
Lunker
B

To Dam or not to dam

That isn't even a question
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
At the last Pond Boss conference we were easy to tell apart. Randy and JHAP (where is that boy???) made friends with the skunk.

And you, no doubt, were chasing it down with your recipe book in hand! laugh

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Just to tide you over until Ken chimes in wink :

1 skunk, scent glands removed (carefully!)
2 sliced carrots
1 c. clear soup
1 tsp. onion juice

Dissolve 1 bouillon cube in 1 cup hot water. Skin, clean, and remove scent glands and fat from skunk. Parboil in salted water 15 minutes. Drain off water. Then place meat in fresh water and steam until tender, about 1 hour. Transfer to roasting pan and put in oven at 375 degrees. Add 1 cup of clear soup, 2 sliced carrots and 1 teaspoon of onion juice and cook uncovered for 2 hours.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Fingerling
Fingerling
M
Originally Posted By: Todd3138

And you, no doubt, were chasing it down with your recipe book in hand! laugh

grin

Last edited by M E Atkins; 01/14/11 11:56 PM.
F
OP Offline
F
Good Morning Yall!!! It tickles me how a thread about active user %'s can morph into skunk recipe's and such! Makes any thread like a box of chocolates and keeps someone from making the assumption that " I already know what they're talking about".

Last edited by findfoolfight; 01/16/11 08:43 AM.

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: findfoolfight
I asked about the other day heres a pic and a question. Is this a BG? Shellcracker? can you even tell when they get this big? Can you sex a fish just by looking at it? If so m/f? I have never really been very interested in panfish (my wife caught this one by mistake on a big crankbait). But since my recent acquisition I think I need to learn a lot fast! Thanks Ken S

It appears to be a pure strain female bluegill. The gill flap is shorter than a male's, and it has more yellow on the breast than a male would. I see nothing that makes it look like it is some kind of mix.

Other opinions??

Oh -- and I'm ignoring the comments above from my so-called friends. I think Randy made a hat out of the skunk.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I agree that it sure looks like a normal female pure strain BG. I also see that there do not appear to be black tipped scales, as is common with males.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Did anyone see the recent Two & a Half Men where dude got aced by a skunk, twice?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
yep; good yuks
Took me back to camping in a 16 ft travel trailer in the U.P.; 3 boys + Ma, Pa, and the family dachshaund. The dog yanked the leash from my mom's hands and bolted after something during a night walk. When she caught up and leaned over to grab the end of the leash, Whammo! Both she and the dog took a direct hit. When we gathered all the tomato juice in the campground that could be found, the bath house completely cleared out as the attempted de-stinking was underway. I think the only reason I remember it so clearly was simply because of the trauma. Looking back, I realize that suffering the smell was a big nothing compared to wearing it. My poor mother...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

It appears to be a pure strain female bluegill. The gill flap is shorter than a male's, and it has more yellow on the breast than a male would. I see nothing that makes it look like it is some kind of mix.

Other opinions??

Originally Posted By: Todd3138
I agree that it sure looks like a normal female pure strain BG. I also see that there do not appear to be black tipped scales, as is common with males.

Agreed gentlemen. That is a nice looking female. I also like her hat. grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/15/11 10:38 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R

"Agreed gentlemen. That is a nice looking female. I also like the hat. grin "

Fish ain't bad either..
You guys get up too early to allow me to properly defend myself. Yes, Ken is
the more talented twin - all I bring to the table is a warped sense of humor, and a 6 pack.
Any of you GA or E AL pondaholics want to meet sometimes, I'm in.

Just do it...
F
OP Offline
F
Hey!! Thanks foe the replys you guys. Heres a quick follow up question I have wondered about for years. This brim was caught in a 40 acre scdnr lake that is hyper-managed. Lake has lmb, bg, cc and crappie. I have been fishing here for 10+ years..I am convinced that lots of these fish must simply die of old age. Why don't I ever see any floaters??? I have seen fish kills in my life and they always float. Surely fish don't have to die en masse to float? No big deal... just a puzzler. Thanks Ken S

Ps Cecil I din't know if your last compliment was one of those "double entendre" things or not...but either way thanks..any compliment paid to my wife or the fish I put her on is a compliment to me.

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Randy, these days, a 6-pack is just not enough. You need to up your game, Man!

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: findfoolfight

Ps Cecil I din't know if your last compliment was one of those "double entendre" things or not...but either way thanks..any compliment paid to my wife or the fish I put her on is a compliment to me.

Randy,

Definitely a compliment. But no worries I'm happily married as I'm sure your wife is. wink

Oh btw the fish looks like a female to me also.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/15/11 11:09 AM.

F
OP Offline
F
Hey rmedgar ...I've got family and friends in Daughtery and Lee county Ga. I get down to visit a few times a year to fish and call turkeys. I have access to a couple of those members only Quail Plantations between Leesburg and Thomasville and have spent 100's of hours on Eufala and Seminole PM me when the water hits mid 50's!! Thanks Ken S. Oh and see my post to Cecil re: double entendres:) I think your compliment was one of those single entendre ones...either way I appreciate it! I am one of the luckiest guys ever.

Last edited by findfoolfight; 01/16/11 08:44 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Randy's wife might be happily married to someone else though...

(I think Randy is divorced)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
Is my feeder toast?
by Zep - 05/07/24 08:42 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/07/24 07:22 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Little update and a question on harvesting
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:21 AM
Newly Uploaded Images