Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, KiwiGuy, teehjaeh57, phinfan, Boondoggle, x101airborne, lafarmpondguy), 814 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#24426 05/09/07 08:37 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i havent had time to even lurk here and keep up with all the good stuff being discussed. i barely had time to enjoy my wildflowers this april. i did manage to steal an hour last sunday evening and "sample" my fishies. i hope y'all enjoy the pics.

i stocked about two dozen of these bad boys in Feb 06 at ~6.5-inches.....this fella (same fish next two pics) was over 8", and i still have 10 fingers:

now lets look at some nice BG growth. in Feb. 06, i also stocked 1,000+ uniformly colored BG ranging from about 3-5.5". i am really really pleased with their maturation:

bubba's CA cousin??

some more nice colors i'll continue on a forthcoming post:

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D

i stocked some arguably trophy sized GSF in July 06, and they spawned twice last year (maybe the second time over our mild winter) producing two classes of aggressive little ones:

\:D i luv this pic:

sooo.....who wants to see mommy and daddy?

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i wish i had time to let a few of you chime in on my last question, but beings how times not on my side.....i'll let these do the talking....

bill cody.....gape measurements on the 10-incher are 2" lateral by 1.5" vertical.

edit, forgot to mention the 9.5 and 10 incher respectively tipped the boga scale at a pound and a pound plus (not quite 1.25)

GSF are people too!

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Hey, I thought this was a family friendly site.

What are the prictures of the Green Meanies doing here?

Lunker
Lunker
Great fish and great pics, D.I.E.D.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dave - thanks a lot for the measurements.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks for sharing DIED. Great pics. You will have BG and RES spawning this spring/summer from the looks of things. \:D

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Good job, DIED. You're gonna have some Bubba Jr's in there one day.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
As usual, some whopper sized GSF. Hasn't anybody told you that they don't get very big?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks for the kind words gents (yolk...i apologize if i offended you with my topless sunfish cabaret......of course, the sub plot to this thread is bringing awareness to those who claim to hate them, when deep down i know there is a green sunfish lover in all of us).

i cant explain the feeling to fish for just an hour on my pond, and catch really beautiful examples of 3 sunfish species....i am tickled pink.

i am particularly proud of mommy and daddy..i stocked about 29 total last summer, and knew they spawned by late Fall 06. i was worried they didnt survive though...i didnt see any evidence of them all winter, and through early spring. they sure showed up with the warmer weather though and i couldnt be happier. i dont know how many are left. there was at least one floater last year (multiply by 5 rule?) but not only did some survive, i believe they've even fattened up (probably since the BG stocking). they were afterall raised on LMB fry in the ranch pond, and put into a relatively sterile pond with nothing but gams and bullfrog polywogs, but i figure if i kept them alive this long, and they're as mean and hardfighting as ever.....i'll now claim those pigs as mine \:\)

GSF are people too!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
D I E D -- big green sunfish are really cool fish! Don't you think you could start an aquarium business with them??

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Dave,

Great fish! I decided long ago that I wouldn't stock greenies. Why did you want to go and start trouble? \:D

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great photos Dave. Man I can't believe how big each of the species have grown! All of them... Jeez the RES at 8", BG at 6" and the whopping GSF at 10" and over a pound!!! Congrats my friend. You are either gonna have to start culling like crazy or introduce a big predator or by the end of summer you be able to walk across the pond on the backs or your sunfish!

Submit the GSF to Cecil, that Bubba is HUGE!

Did you catch all of these via fly fishing?

Great job Dave. Give it a year and you'll be pulling out not only monster GSF but also big BG and RES as well. A top rate sunfish pond! That GSF must have been a pole bender, they fight like lunatics!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That green sunfish is a pig!! Those other fish are showing great growth rates, too.

Definitely turn in the GS to Cecil.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
aquarium business....hmmm

c'mon bobad, you know you want em \:\) aggressive, hardfighting, fantastic for kids and adults alike. cant ask for more out of a pond fish.

cool huh jeff \:D \:D \:D ....yup you need to come by on yer next visit. all caught with a cheap fly on my little old backpack rod. the two GSF pictured above darn near gave me a hernia, i had to really fight em for a bit, they took line out several times, got wrapped up in weeds, muscled me around, but i landed them gently, quickly got measurements and pics, and back in pond, no harm no foul....except for a little GSF slime on wifey's Nikon :rolleyes:

cecil cant accept my fish, cause my face is nowhere in there....its all a hoax......

so bruce, what are my fish smoking? i never thought the RES could grow 2-inches in 3 months......they were ~6.5 when i put them in, some may have been close to seven, but even an inch in this time?? i was really impressed.....with the BG too....that dark one pictured above (a male???) had to go from 5.5" to nearly 7.5" in the same time, i imagine he was one of the few bigger ones i stocked.

whereas last years two classes of GSF are now 2.5" and 5"?? I think the 5" makes sense, but the 2.5" suggests a late fall/winter spawn.

what's nice is all have fat bellies. i dread the summer drawdown this year......should be interesting one way or the other.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I see a definite male bluegill above.

General rule...

Identify the fish you want to grow big, then assure that there are fewer fish than their particular food resource will support.

You currently have that situation. Managing ponds can be as simple as that. Good job. I just assumed you don't have a face.

Can you get Tom Cruise or Santa Claus to pose with the fish?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
How about Brad Pitt?

Opps no fish, sorry Dave.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
one leg....no face.....i think i'm getting erased.

nice try jeff......you might not know this but Tom and Santa visit me every christmas:

if i knew all that fanchy photo shop stuff, i'd post something funny here (well, funny to me anyway).

thanks bruce, those are words to live by. it sounds so simple, but maintaining that balance.....thats where the art is.

so what are the fastest growth rates in inches you've seen from yer BG and RES......say over a 6 month span?

i'm going to Tahoe this afternoon and for the rest of the weekend and will be battling to get an afternoon on the lake deep trolling (200'+) for macks.....however, the wife keeps reminding me "this is afterall mother's day weekend, could you please get fishing out of yer head for a couple days and spend quality time with your family??? yes dear...

talk to you guys next week sometime and Happy Mother's Day Weekend!

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
nice try jeff......you might not know this but Tom and Santa visit me every christmas:
Dang, I had a feeling that you had connections but Santa and Tom Cruise, dude you are "made"!

The only thing that disturbs me about that photo is that I happen to know that you don't own a dog. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
jeff.......that was (is) my brothers english sheep dog......

hey........hey........i got a real treat for you RES lovers......tonight i witnessed about half a dozen BIG guys and gals on a honeycomb of spawning beds made in the shallows......it was getting too dark for pics, but i hope to try and capture something tomorrow when the light is right....yippee skippee huh? the growth rate in my RES is alarming....some looked to be over 9-inches, males sporting the bright scarlet rimmed ear tab......AWESOME!!!

i had a driller (same guy i used 7 years ago) come in and we witched a spot above the pond....was getting good pulls on the rods and matches intellectually with the geology down there.....spot is picked just need to schedule.

later, when i went to feed, a few of the RES actually came up and took pellets.......i'm still picking my jaw off the ground. conrad (my wife's pet turtle) came in for some nibbles too.

hope to show pics.....keep y'all posted.

life is awlright........

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i really hated to have to compress these from the original shots, but i think you can still see the important aspects........spawning behaviors, etc......the best viewing from shoreline is with polarized sunglasses.....WOW, too bad i cant convey that in these pics.....enjoy if you can........

RES on nest with BG watching from above:

RES guarding nest:

View nesting "honeycombs" each with RES (tough to see in this compressed pic):

RES stirring out algae:

RES on nest:

RES in nest:

same pic as above but close up:

RES quarrying/moving/shuffling small rocks:

i uploaded 8 more shots to follow.....

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
the remaining shots:

another shot at the "honeycomb" area:

Bright (male?) RES ear tab:

RES bobbing up and down quite violently either laying eggs or releasing milt:

RES guarding nest:

RES, BG, GSF all in one pic.....can you identify them?

BG and GSF:

BG and RES:

RES on nest:

so much for billable hours this afternoon.....but hey, it was more than worth it, hope y'all enjoyed.....

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's awesome! I completely enjoyed that. I thought the quality of the photos came out really nicely.

Lunker
Lunker
Great pics, D.I.E.D.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i am really jazzed at what's happening in the pond and that i can see some of it. i've seen ewest's RES spawning pics, but they didnt hit home til i saw mine doing the dance.

since running the aerator regularly (1130 pm to 0730 am) the water clarity has decreased significantly (good good good), has promoted a nice olive/emerald color..new plankton bloom (good good good), reduced aquatic weed growth (good good good), but may be aiding in additional evaporation (bad bad bad).

Since we are in a 95-100 degree stretch, and the pond is leaking about like a medium running garden hose, i am terribly worried about late summer conditions for the fish.

its a good foot lower than this time last year because of a long hot dry spring and the additional things mentioned above:

GSF are people too!

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Well at least you don't have to worry about the Greenies D.I.E.D. They're tuff e nuff!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Awesome pic's!

You have the world at your fingertips
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Beautiful pics, Dave! To what do you attribute the phenomenal growth rates of your fish? Keep the pics coming, please!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i go out to the pond every evening, don a tinfoil hat, link to at least 6 satellites, locate dr. bruce condello's brain waves somewhere in or around denton, draw all that energy and wisdom back through space and time and focus it directly into the pond.

bruce, have you been feeling a little tired lately?

mr. davasta, all i can say is i'm lucky, i really dont know...good water, good vibes, a few snails, and some supplemental aquamax?? i'll take suggestions. fish just seem to thrive here and in the ranch pond down below me....with really very little effort. my biggest challenge is going to be able to maintain enough water for everybody to last until the next rainy season.

if i had to make an educated guess, i would say the system is young, biomass is below carrying capacity (which is changing rapidly with decreasing water levels), and there is lots of natural forage, for now, in addition to my quasi routine supplemental feedings.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
dave, is your expected rain to watershed ratio such that you fully expect the pond to top off every rainy season? How much annual rain do you expect, and how much of it is during the rainy season? How long does your rainy season last?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great Photos Dave, Wow the RES are really making themselves at home.

So far all of the sunfish seem to be mixing well.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
yuppers jeff \:D

bruce, yes, the pond will fill each rainy season. it takes 6-8 inches of combined rain events to get the creeks flowing. once flowing, the pond rapidly fills (within a couple weeks) and the total pond volume is replaced many times over during winter months. All the significant rainfall occurs during the rainy season. it's almost as if mother nature flips the switch on in November, and turns it off in May. with virtually no exceptions, rains come to a halt by May and do not resume with any punch until November. Last year (05/06) we got 55-inches over that timeframe. This year (06/07) we only got 23-inches over the same timeframe.

edited post....BTW bruce, please expand....in your watershed question, were you thinking of something specific about my situation?

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
so a quick follow up question on the RES. they have been on the nests for at least 4 days now. on average, how long will they tend the nests?

the water they are in is getting shallower every day, and i'm getting worried about their spawning success.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I was wondering primarily about whether or not you could have a complete loss of the pond at some point. Glad to hear that you won't.

I think that a lowering water level wouldn't be a great detriment to spawning success. I'm just guessing here, based on some ponds that I know of that have had good year classes during years with significant loss of water. Keep in mind that spawning success is less about nesting areas, and more about availability of appropriately sized forage items after hatching.

You'll be fine when it comes to recruitment, I'm betting.

Lunker
Lunker
I had RES on nest for 3 weeks this year. I don't really think they should need over 2 weeks. And after the eggs hatch, I bet Redear Dads could move their broods to deeper water.

-S. M. Stirling
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks guys...in two weeks time, the area they are in may be dry....lets hope they were there for a while BEFORE i saw them the first time earlier this week.

GSF are people too!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
From start (male on the nest) to swim up size around 15 days. New moon was the 14th so you need about 13 days from then (best guess).

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Why is it that I can never catch green sunfish much above 6" here in NC but I do catch a lot of them?

Those GSF are huge.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
First Bruce measures his enormous Bluegill over a cutting board and now this from DIED.....

Oh, the horror! You could of at least closed the blade Dave. Dang no wonder this poor fish's eyes look so huge!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by Gambusia:
Why is it that I can never catch green sunfish much above 6" here in NC but I do catch a lot of them?
Don't feel bad Gam. Nobody catches GSF as large as DIED's. I've caught a 10 to 11 inch GSF at my place but nothing like DIED has. DIED is rapidly becoming the the "Condello" of GSF. In fact I think there is some untold mentoring relationship between the two. Although I don't have any concrete proof I believe that the Bruce's ranch is in actuality a clandestine operation using the name "Condello Institute for the Creation of Ludicrously Proportioned Blue Gills." I now believe that Bruce and DIED are in collaboration and are developing the El Dorado Laboratory for the Development of Ginormous Green Sunfish. I further believe that DIED has enlisted the celebrity support of both Santa Claus and Tom Cruise. In addition I believe that both Bruce and Dave are using psychological warfare tactics in their operations. First a photo appears on the internet showing Bruce suspending his BG over a cutting board and now DIED's photo which clearly reveals him threatening his sunfish with a knife. I fear that in the quest for the ultimate sunfish many horrific things are happening in the name of science. We already know that DIED is dabbling in the black art of Water Witching, who know what depths he has sunk to in the pursuit of a huge green sunfish....

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
jeff...you a funny man.
you ought to see how they react when i threaten to use the corkscrew \:\)

hey, for me, part of having a fat sunfish population is managing gams.....here's me and tom cruise moving gams from my sediment basin over the dam to the big pond. the sediment basin is just about to dry up, saving as many as we can.

close up of some gams and an occassional baby GSF

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by jeffhasapond:
...First a photo appears on the internet showing Bruce suspending his BG over a cutting board and now DIED's photo which clearly reveals him threatening his sunfish with a knife.
How did I miss this one? \:D

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
How did I miss this one? \:D
Sure Moderator Condello, sure you "missed" this post, we believe you .....or was it yet another case of "plausible deniability." \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
you ought to see how they react when i threaten to use the corkscrew \:\)
May the pond gods have mercy upon your soul (or is that sole?).

Quote:
hey, for me, part of having a fat sunfish population is managing gams.....here's me and tom cruise moving gams from my sediment basin over the dam to the big pond. the sediment basin is just about to dry up, saving as many as we can.
Or sure bring up the unfortunate Gams incident, and show Paparazzi photographs of you and Tom "saving" the Gams. Go ahead, try and divert attention from your heinous laboratory practices.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
speaking of heinous lab practices, while "saving the gams" we also caught and observed EVERY phase in the metamorphosis of bullfrogs......tadpoles, tadpoles w/ buds for legs, tadpoles w/ two legs, tadpoles w/ four legs, frogs w/ long tails, frogs w/ short tails, and full fledged frogs......it was really cool....i wish i had taken a photo documentary but my hands were slimed w/ FA and other fun stuff which is thick in the upstream sediment basin.

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
a brief update for the el dorado sunfish pond. water quality is excellent this time of year, nice olive color with maybe 2 feet of visibility. we need rain though, have had none in march so far, and none in the extended forecast. have been at full pool for several months, but level is now below spillway.

starting about last friday, observed the first surface activity since late november/early december 07....and enjoyed the first little hand feeding coming out of winter. a small group of about 100 BG are taking pellets.

decided to try and sample sunday afternoon and caught some BG who appear fat and happy.. seems like the first class of active fish in the pond are 7-8-inches and mostly females? fished for about a half hour and caught about a dozen all in the same size range, no larger BG, no GSF, and no RES seen or caught, but they should still be in there...perhps need a bit longer stretch of warm weather to bring everyone out.

am aerating for a few hours in afternoon (12 to 5 pm) to cycle around some warmer water, keep water visibility and weeds down and prevent early thermocline development. if it stays warm, i'm going to shift aeration to nighttime, probably 12 to 8 am.

some pics to enjoy:

mrs. DIED hooks a BG on the fly

GSF are people too!

Lunker
Lunker
Those are nice looking BG by my standards.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nice start. Looks like an enthusiastic feeding.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Those BG are growing fast DIED. Better watch them or they will take over the whole ranch.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Nice job, Dave! Or should I say Mrs. D.I.E.D.?

I love the coloration on your BG.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
me too theo. i think the active fish i caught probably represent the smaller end of the stockers which a year ago during stocking ranged from 2 to 5.5 inches.

bruce there are some bigger guys in there, i'm eager to get a pic or two.

the larger ones matured (colored up) and spawned last summer, some of these still look on the "immature" side, or their coloration is light due to keeping the water from getting real clear.(thanks davatsa...i think they are beautiful too!...mrs DIED has great fishin instincts \:\) )

thats the big test this year ewest, will i need to artificially remove BG, introduce a predator, or will the bigger GSF keep up with the present mix of fish given the upcoming summer drawdown? i'm also trying to evaluate the question of what survived last summer's drawdown, how did it affect the %'s and year class distribution of my fish?

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Nice fish photos Dave.

Looks like your medieval management practices are paying off. I guess a corkscrew is good for something other than opening a bottle of Slug Gulch.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
dont forget i know of two ponds that could really use some extra BG...so when i get to culling this summer.......

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
here is a nice (male??) BG at 8-inches caught this afternoon during an all too brief resbit from life.

no stunting here yet and i think i see the beginnings of "helmet" development \:\)

i also caught a couple GSF for the first time this year, two size classes were hitting.....4-inchers and 7-inchers, no big boys caught yet in the couple times i've tried.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nice male. Definitely the start of a helmet.

Are you going to be doing any selective culling of GSF through angling?

Does anybody know if male or female GSF have more growth potential? For some reason I thought that maybe the females grow bigger.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
bruce, i'm actually concerned about GSF viability due to lack of catching and lack of simply seeing them this spring. i'm watching closely to see affects of numerous BG on GSF spawning this year. i'm guessing it'l be the BG needing culling.

i'm also thinking JHAP and I have a date w/ a seine.

confession: for all the GSF talk you've had from me over the last 2 years, i cant tell a male from a female and cant answer that question or even guess. i think the eartab length may be a telling trait but dont know for sure as i've yet to harvest any from here.

maybe bill cody could weigh in on telling male from female GSF.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow Dave what a great BG!

Now ya have me concerned about the GSF though.

Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
i'm also thinking JHAP and I have a date w/ a seine.

I'll be there, seine in one had, corkscrew it the other.

confession: for all the GSF talk you've had from me over the last 2 years, i cant tell a male from a female and cant answer that question or even guess.

Consider yourself very lucky that I'm not up to my normal humor level. This just begs for some irreverant quip or capitioned picture. Brettski? Bruce? Theo? GW? Fatty? Come on, someone help a brother out here.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think the GSA is about to put out a press release stating that they will be closely monitoring any humans who are trying "too hard" to identify green sunfish by sex.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
\:D \:D \:D

That's more like it!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, we are serious. No kinky stuff permitted.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
well i still cant tell a female from a male GSF.........

but i can show you some pics of what's being caught if you fish my puddle.....and it is a puddle......

up front data......no RES detected, no monster GSF detected, catch rate.....one fish per cast, average fish.....see below:

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Actually even 7-8 inch GSF are bigger than anything we see around here. Usually ours are about 6 inches, tops.

Looks like a blast, DIED!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
bruce, those 7-8" GSF are two years old....original stockers June 2006, first spawn late summer/fall 2006.....those are the first generation fish born in that pond. 8" in two years is good/excellent GSF growth rate?

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yes. Absolutely.

8 inches in two years is good for any lepomid...anywhere.

They appear to be in good body condition. Do you agree with that assessment?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D.I.E.D., did you start fresh in June 2006?

It seems odd to me that all the fish are very similar in size. It seems like it could represent a lot of situations, some good, some not.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice BG DIED. I like it when they don't all look the same.

Sunil may be right. I know we have talked about this before. You may now be reaching the point of mgt intervention. A lot of lepomis around the same size with limited food. No doubt that you have a better assessment than us because you have seen the whole pond. Sunil I bet they are the same size in the pics because of the sampling method (creel survey). Probably a bunch of smaller fish as well.

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Pretty fishes Dave.

I don't remember if you're feeding or not. Since tropical storm Fay I now have WM in addition to my FH/RES thanks to Mr. H's upstream pond. That messed up my RES test a little, but I'm glad to have the WM anyway. \:\)

I asked about the feeding because I'm trying to get the WM to take pellets. Has anyone heard of GSF taking them?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
well i still cant tell a female from a male GSF.........

Prepare to be slapped. I think it's only fair.

Dang, DIED you went fishing without me???? Great photos and I see the one cast one fish ratio appears to be holding up.

Did you move any to the ranch pond? I'm telling ya you are going to have to stop hording fish. Eat'em or Move'em (or both).

GW, Died does feed his fish and GSF readily take food. That could be because of the fact that he added feed trained BG and they readily ate feed from day one so perhaps the GSF "learned" to take feed but maybe they would have taken feed on their own I don't know. As a side note it is funny to watch the feeding process at DIED's pond. The BG take sort of a shallow water attack to the feed. The GSF rocket up from the depths to take food.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: ewest
You may now be reaching the point of mgt intervention.

We tried that some my last trip up Ewest. I think DIED is too emotionally attached to his fish. We caught a bunch of fish but we only took 5 out of the pond. Every fish DIED would evaluate to determine whether or not he wanted to remove them. Jeez what a fiasco. We'd catch a fish he'd say "Nope this one is a male, that goes back." Then we'd catch another "nice body condition on that one, better keep that one." Another catch "ahhhh, gravid female, can't let that one go." Reel in another "wow, look at the coloration on that one, that's a keeper." Another was brought to the boat "well I guess that could go in the bucket." Snagged another "dang that one appears to be left finned, don't see that everyday, I don't think I should let that one go." We caught about 20 fish and only 5 came out of the pond. Next time I'm gonna get DIED good and drunk, I'm not sure if that'll help but it can't hurt.

Oh, and by the way DIED, I'm driving up tomorrow so we'll see you soon.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Next time I'm gonna get DIED good and drunk, I'm not sure if that'll help but it can't hurt.

I wouldn't try that JHAP, he'll probably want to release EVERY fish and sing to them too. \:D

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Yes. Absolutely.

8 inches in two years is good for any lepomid...anywhere.

They appear to be in good body condition. Do you agree with that assessment?

thanks bruce, yes i agree, all the older/larger fish have great body condition.

Originally Posted By: Sunil
D.I.E.D., did you start fresh in June 2006?

It seems odd to me that all the fish are very similar in size. It seems like it could represent a lot of situations, some good, some not.

yup, started fresh in 06. GSF in 06, BG and RES in 07. the BG ranged from 2 to 5" and the RES were ~5 to 7" when stocked.

Nice BG DIED. I like it when they don't all look the same.

Sunil may be right. I know we have talked about this before. You may now be reaching the point of mgt intervention. A lot of lepomis around the same size with limited food. No doubt that you have a better assessment than us because you have seen the whole pond. Sunil I bet they are the same size in the pics because of the sampling method (creel survey). Probably a bunch of smaller fish as well.

thanks eric, those gills are pretty arent they? i love their colorations. and i think you hit nail on head. i have definitely reached the point of needing intervention which is why a good friend of mine who is no longer with us put a bass in my pond. there are a bunch of smaller fish ranging from just born to the sizes you see posted above (and some bigger that wouldnt cooperate). the younger BG are thin and need culled.....JHAP be prepared for more take home....i'd like to do this ASAP. the younger GSF are generally fat, in fact all the GSF look really good. they are doing well as top predator, its the young BG that are showing the effects of not enough forage.

Originally Posted By: GW
Pretty fishes Dave.

I don't remember if you're feeding or not. Since tropical storm Fay I now have WM in addition to my FH/RES thanks to Mr. H's upstream pond. That messed up my RES test a little, but I'm glad to have the WM anyway. \:\)

I asked about the feeding because I'm trying to get the WM to take pellets. Has anyone heard of GSF taking them?

thanks gw, yes i feed, but am feeding alot less given my terribly low water conditions. maybe once a week just to keep them trained. the gsf took to pellets almost immediately. like JHAP mentioned, its a hoot to watch the differences in how BG and GSF take feed...the BG just cruise near the surface and slurp them in, the GSF hang deeper and thrust up and attack the pellets making a huge splash, then dive back down.

JHAP, i'm ready, i've said my goodbyes, its either move em out or watch an impending fish kill....bring yer wally world aerators.....

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i didnt get many pics of smaller fish, but here are some, the GSF is nice little guy, but the younger BG are definitely showing they could use more to eat.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
...JHAP be prepared for more take home....i'd like to do this ASAP.

JHAP, i'm ready, i've said my goodbyes, its either move em out or watch an impending fish kill....bring yer wally world aerators.....

Good deal. I'll bring out my aerators and some buckets and we'll get 'er done.

Oh and I forgot to tell you I bought some of the bait that you had and some small jig heads. I had to order the bait because someone, whose name we won't mention but whose initals are DIED, kept buying up the supply at Longs. Also we got JWHAP an ultra light rig. After she saw how far I could cast a 1/16 oz jig and that a 4 lb bass was no problem on the ultra light she promptly wanted one.

We'll get together later this week. Talk at you soon my friend.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: GW
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Next time I'm gonna get DIED good and drunk, I'm not sure if that'll help but it can't hurt.

I wouldn't try that JHAP, he'll probably want to release EVERY fish and sing to them too. \:D

He sings to them when he's sober, I just didn't mention it. Everytime we caught a fish he sang some.

I didn't mind it at first but after about the tenth time of hearing DIED belt out......

"You are my sunfish, my lovely sunfish, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know fish, how much I love you, JHAP please don't take my sunfish away."

....it got kind of old and somewhat annoying.

Perhaps it's me that needs to be drunk.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks for not telling them about my america rendition, you know, remember that one......

O beautiful for spacious waters,
For amber fins of glory,
For emerald streaks majesties
Above the oxygenated pond bottom!
GREEN SUNFISH!, OH GREEN SUNFISH!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From pond to shining pond!

GSF are people too!

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Intervention!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
c'mon gw, i know you got a WM ballad you sing to yer little guys in secret, lets hear it.

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D

i'm thinking of starting a new website called "little bluegill.com" you think there'd be any interest?

GSF are people too!

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Dave, I read poetry to MY fish...

...and this is the sweet little fish I like:

Lunker
Lunker

For amber fins of glory,

God bless Vespucciland!

-S. M. Stirling
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D

i'm thinking of starting a new website called "little bluegill.com" you think there'd be any interest?

ok, i guess not, but that never stopped me before...

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm definitely interested. I would have commented but I was on a dream fishing trip to the Snake River in Nebraska for native rainbows. ;\)

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

For amber fins of glory,

Ahhh, the GSA National Anthem. It brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

I could be a charter member. It seems that I have a knack for catching puny bluegill.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
yippee skippee

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
No need for a caption. I could easily make you out in the image. You're the one with a peg-leg.

I see lots of pretty colors.....

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
What color and for how long fills the pond ?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Those pretty colors are the embers from last yaers fires.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i'd like to forget that saga rainman. we actually had a dim reminder today, cal-fire was conducting controlled burns up on hwy 88 and we were smoked in bad all day today.

thanks guys. i'm not sure i understand those colors ewest, its off a noaa site. i think red is light rain, purple = heavy rain. its comin down pretty good right now. we are expecting a few inches between now and monday, a nice shot in the arm for the pond. however, we will need about 8 cumulative inches to get the creeks flowing. once the creek is flowing the pond fills in a couple days which probably wont happen until into december. nevertheless, 2 to 3 acre inches would be some good volume added to the old water.

i hadnt fed in a while since that scare a few weeks ago. our eagle lake fishing group gave me all the leftover nightcrawlers from the recent trip (about 30 containers each w/ a dozen worms) so i fed those tonight along with about 3 pounds of aquamax, the fish are fat and happy this evening waiting for their drink now.

JHAP is driving up tomorrow, anybody have any words of wisdom for him? i'll be seein him on saturday.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...JHAP is driving up tomorrow, anybody have any words of wisdom for him? i'll be seein him on saturday.

Remind him that if you sneeze while you're driving at 70 mph, that you'll travel over 300 feet with your eyes closed.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Avoid the route that goes through the place where they threw bricks through the window.

Lunker
Lunker
Never order hamburger in a drugstore.

-S. M. Stirling
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
A watched pot never boils.

Just do it...
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
If your head catches on fire, never ever put it out with a hammer. It never ends well.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Club sandwiches… not seals.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i am the master of hijacking my own thread am i not?

not a problem to get it back on track anytime, in the meantime..........i love it, keep em comin....JHAP and JWHAP will get a big kick out of it.

GSF are people too!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
What about the rain ?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: ezylman
If your head catches on fire, never ever put it out with a hammer. It never ends well.

I'm proof of that statement!

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
yeah, D - how much rain?

Just do it...
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks for asking guys, its a pretty big (doppler) bark, not much bite......as of this morning we are at 0.8-inches but every fractional inch is better than none.

supposed to keep going all day w/ scattered showers through Monday, so i am still hopeful we'll end up w/ 2-3 inches.

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
a solid 3.2 inches as of this morning. the pond IS MUCH happier.
more on the way tomorrow.

jhap considered yer words of wisdom, however, after drinking wine all afternoon, he was bent on finding some seals.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
a solid 3.2 inches as of this morning. the pond IS MUCH happier.
more on the way tomorrow.

jhap considered yer words of wisdom, however, after drinking wine all afternoon, he was bent on finding some seals.

That's fantastic!! Great news.

That's better than a pile o' dead water turkeys! \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
"Ladybugs bite really hard!"

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
\:D - - \:\) -

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thats what you get for stickin yer finger in their mouth \:\)

eric, fortunately jhap had no mishap along the brick route.

i was at a local drug store yesterday and they redid their fishing section. to my surprise they had some yo zuri snap beans. i had never used those before but they spoke to me. i bought a couple and couldnt wait to try on pond. at lunch today i opened up one, crimped down the barbs and caught probably 30 fish in 45 minutes.....those snap beans are a HOOT!

the fish are much happier w/ some fresh water, but now the colder weather will probably start to turn things off, probably not too many more good fishn days in the el dorado sunfish pond.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Remind him that if you sneeze while you're driving at 70 mph, that you'll travel over 300 feet with your eyes closed.

YIKES. No more driving while sniffing pepper for me!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Avoid the route that goes through the place where they threw bricks through the window.

Done.

Although the "normal" route through LA taint much better.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Never order hamburger in a drugstore.

What about drugs from a hamburger place?

How am I supposed to remember all of these travel rules?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
A watched pot never boils.

But if you don't watch the pot how will you ever know if it does boil.

Sheesh this is all so confusing.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy
Club sandwiches… not seals.

Mmmmm, Seal sandwiches.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DIED what about the pond - has it filled yet? Snow ? Time to update.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
hey there, an early merry christmas to you eric, and the rest of this PB family.

the pond is not yet full but looking good. we have a cumulative 6-inches on the wet season and it will take a few more inches to get the main creek flowing (which will then fill the pond in a day or two).

tom cruise showed up yesterday, and it seems he always brings wet weather w/ him....indeed, he is a good luck rain charm again this season as we are expecting rain today and every day through the rest of this week \:\)

over the next couple weeks, i'll get some update pics and post em up for fun.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Say "Hi" to TC for me! Any Claus's in town this week?

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
you bet bruce.

today is our traditional cream chip beef breakfast w/ mr. and ms. st. nick....we have it mid to late morning cause santas pretty tired on christmas morning you know....we let him sleep in.

we've had a pretty steady rain since yesterday evening
and the pond is filling.... yay........!!!! should be at full pool in the next day or two.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
DIED's Christmas wish answered...

"Full Pool"

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Great gift for those fish.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i didnt want to be out there too long under these trees in 30 mph sustained winds, w/ gusts to over 50........so what do i do first? prepare a cooler w/ perishable foods, charge floodlight batteries, get the candles ready, or go take pictures and post on pondboss before i lose power??

we are getting lots of the wet stuff. had a couple inches of snow too, and lost some large digger pines...more work for DIED.....but the pond has been full, here's a couple quick stormy shots taken today i thought you might enjoy...

oh and BTW, there is water on Mars:

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OK, definitely my best laugh of the month. \:D \:D \:D

Did you get that from your "mistress" forum?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
That busted pine looks like our whole hunting property in PA. We got hit really bad by a couple ice storms the past few weeks. The black cherries got hit real hard, but several other species were busted up good too! Limbs snapped off all over and laying on the ground. Here is a game camera pic with the ice still on the trees.

It was quite thick, I am guessing at least 1/3"...

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
It's good to see the pond full again.

I hate those digger pines, for those that don't know, in the Sierra Nevada foothills we have a species of pine that is commonly referred to as a Digger Pine. These are sort of the weeds of the pine tree family. They don't grow vertically like normal pines, their trunk raises up in a outwardly curving fashion. The create a problem in that they are not very strong and tend to break off or fall over all together in any significant weather. These are definately not trees that you want anywhere near your house.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
OK, definitely my best laugh of the month. \:D \:D \:D

Did you get that from your "mistress" forum?

i have my sources \:\)

great pic CJBS, cecil posted some great ice storm shots a while back too. if we'd had that ice here, my property would be denuded...is that the correct word???

jhap, for the most part i actually really like digger pines, just not near power lines or structures... the critters love them because they are open structured....you can often see in them turkeys, hawks, owls, woodpeckers..etc.etc.etc... they also filter the sunlight nicely. the filtered light allows various shrubs and wildflowers to take hold underneath them, til they break and crush the shrub you've enjoyed watching grow...

GSF are people too!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DIED you getting any more rain ?

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
its just about over eric. we've received around 2.5" in the last two days and all the hillside drainages are flowing. if it wasnt so dang dark out at night i'd be able to go get a pic of my spillway ....its really moving some water right now (similar to those pics i showed a while back).

i found one. this was from Feb. 07.

lots o fresh water...its a good feeling, been a while.

GSF are people too!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Sure would be nice to be able to save some of that until Aug.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
yes, yes it would.

in reality, water is the new gold rush. if i could just figure out how to store more without exhausting what little money we have left.

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
another storm comin in tomorrow, they are saying its a big one, whoever they are.

jhap, i didnt realize our birthdays were so close together..(thank you (i think) pondboss, i had actually forgotten until i saw yer little e-mail to me this morning).. jhap, we need to figure out how to have a joint party.....whatever that means...

and always remember,
in just two days from now,
tomorrow will be yesterday

been a long week, i need to sleep in tomorrow.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DIED.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
jhap, we need to figure out how to have a joint party.....whatever that means...

This must mean something very different in Northern California than in does in Southern California. \:o

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
You're online now, JHAP?

Happy B-Day D.I.E.D.!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
You're online now, JHAP?

Yes and I have responded to your tauntings.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
Happy Birthday in El Dorado!

-S. M. Stirling
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Happy birthday DIED! May all your greenies be two pounders!

BTW, where's the cake???

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks guys.
b-day spent drilling in the hood. an old gas station site off hwy 99 (south sacramento). good times though, drillers and traffic control folks all good friends so much so i bought lunch today....carne asada burritos...that was the cake...

p.s. sunil gots some nads...good luck bro...funny thread over there.

GSF are people too!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Mmmmm... Carne Asada!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
a quick update on the el dorado sunfish pond. the geese have gotten, the fish are fishy, and the wildflowers are, well, wild.

i dont know if any remember dwight's "branta canadensis down" thread. we had our own misfortunes here at about the same time when our resident mother goose who had had her brood here for many years died. dad was distraught but not done. turns out he found a new mamma this year and she likes it here too. here's a fun sequence of pics:

these following couple fish shots are TERRIBLE pictures, no excuses, i'll be sure and do better in the future:

my favorite little fishies \:\) :

8-inch male gill on the skinny side:

9-inch STUDLY STUD, ~0.75 lbs on boga

plan to get a couple wildflower shots soon. they are nice this year.

GSF are people too!

Lunker
Lunker
My resident suicidal Canada Geese couple are back this year, nesting on the backstop for the rifle range again.

-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Sweet Dave. The pond looks good, nice and full. 8" BG & 9" GSF. We're gonna have a fun summer of fishing!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DIED any observations/thoughts so far on the product of a mixed lepomis pond (RES , GSF , BG , Xs )?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
DIED/JHAP -- it's still hard to believe that the aquarium folks that like the cichlids so much haven't picked up on the green sunfish. As the greenies grow, the fins gets longer, colors are brighter, etc., just like the non-native cichlids! You'd think that the gsf society of america would be working on that?? \:\)

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
nothing scientific eric. i have noticed a few things though i think....

the gsf are all fat and appear to be growing large (as top predator should). my first year class are now 8 to 9 inch fish. these were from summer 2006 and spawned from the original stockers...... which i believe are all gone. i'm hoping they are not yet done growing.

the gills are not suppressing GSF spawning. there are lots of little ones.

if anything the GSF are suppressing BG spawning, but there are also good numbers of little gills around....probably too many for my little pond to handle late in the season.

i have not seen an RES since 2007. i think the original stockers are still alive and proabably quite large, but youngins are absent, so GSF and BG together have crushed RES recruitment IMO....no surprise really.

i have seen nothing that looks like a hybrid. the water is fairly clear so species recognition is strong.

havent seen hide nor hair of the lone bass my late friend mortimer stocked for me, not positive it survived the stocking event, and if it did, i'm sure its a pig. \:\)

sir dave, i would love to start an aquarium, the GSA is working on this, but DWIED keeps threatening to bring down the entire organization everytime i bring it up. its definitely a backburner project. it would be a blast to have a large freshwater tank w/ some nice greenies.

here are some more pics i snapped today while procrastinating on chores......

GSF are people too!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Died, The place is really looking great!

So glad you got some good water and a good flush after that low spell!

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
DIED/JHAP -- it's still hard to believe that the aquarium folks that like the cichlids so much haven't picked up on the green sunfish. As the greenies grow, the fins gets longer, colors are brighter, etc., just like the non-native cichlids! You'd think that the gsf society of america would be working on that?? \:\)

I don't want to put words in the GSA's mouth (lest they return the favor by putting pennies on my eyes \:o ), but they may be in favor of Free Range Sunfish.

P.S. WONDERFUL pics, DIED.

-S. M. Stirling
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks RM and Theo..
i wish i could keep her full all summer.

just for the heck of it, here is a link to a hydroseed thread i started a while back and updated today:

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=159583#Post159583

Last edited by dave in el dorado ca; 04/19/09 06:25 PM.

GSF are people too!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Great pics DIED. Good to see full pool and flowers. Geese ahhhh they are a mess. Now the fish are a different matter - \:D . Thanks for the update.

Last edited by ewest; 04/19/09 07:50 PM.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Awesome DIED. Really great pics. Love the bullfrogs and goslings. They're so much cuter when they're young!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis

Funny you mention this, Green Sunfish in Cichlid Tank Link

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Glad to hear the pond is doing so well. I always think it might be nice to do a sunfish pond when I am finally able to get a place.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
CJBS, you're right on top of things. So, the greenies are indeed a little hard on those supposedly aggressive cichilids, eh? \:\)

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
So it seems... DIED would be happy to know that the mighty GSF can hold its own against tropical bullies! HAHA

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
i really like the turqoise head marking of the venerable green sunfish

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great photos DIED. Water is high, wild life o-plenty, spring has sprung.

I should be up there right at this very moment. But wouldn't you know it murphy's law struck the JHAP household. Our refrigerator went out last Thursday night (we were scheduled to leave friday). So we spent friday refrigerator shopping (oh joy). And since we had received a recall notice on our dishwasher (Mr. JHAP, we have good news and we have bad news, the good news is that your dishwasher reaches such extreme temperatures that your dishes are sure to be sanitized, the bad news is that your house might burn down in the process). So yep, bought a new refrigerator and dishwasher (sticker shock). So they are being delivered today. With any luck at all we should be driving up on Wednesday morning. Save some fishing time for us next weekend DIED.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: cougar
i really like the turqoise head marking of the venerable green sunfish

me too \:\)

thanks for props guys. jhap, lookin forward to a visit or two or three.

GSF are people too!

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I have enjoyed watching this thread for the last 2 years. Any updates?

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
There sure are Ezylman, my new refrigerator and dishwasher are working marvelously. laugh

I'll let DIED give you in his pond update.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Glad your new appliances are doing well. My new washer and dryer and doing marvelously as well. smile

- Ancient Viking Proverb

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Originally Posted By: ezylman
I have enjoyed watching this thread for the last 2 years. Any updates?

thats the nicest thing anybody ever said to me, thanks ezylman.

as far as updates, the GSF have done a good job at limiting BG recruitment over the last couple yrs. hardly any small BG visible or catchable, given my conditions, i believe i found a (dysfunctional) way to grow big BG! the original stockers are getting quite large, but i have yet to have my camera with me when i catch one....a goal before this winter.

taking the 300-400 small greenies out this summer w/ jhap's and pondfrog's assistance really made a difference. i still need to remove more, but it was a good start. and there are still some nice fat greenies in there:

GSF are people too!

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
That is a good looking fish Dave. When you cull out your greenies, what size do you pull? I have a pond on the GF's ranch that is about .25 acres. It has BG, LMB, GSF, CC, and Shad in it. That is what I have seen so far from feeding and fishing. I added a few Tilapia to control the vegetation and that has worked wonders. Everything else came in via runoff from the neighbors pond. She didn't think there were any fish in it at all. smile Not sure what I want to do with it yet.

- Ancient Viking Proverb

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
w/ the mix of fish you describe, you probably dont need to cull any GSF, the LMB should take care of them depending on how many LMB you have.

the GSF are top predator in my lil sunfish pond, and they recruit at least twice in a season. when i cull, i remove all GSF under 8-inches, unless i judge a 6 or 7-incher showing top quality genetics/growth. right now i leave the BG alone.

GSF are people too!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I would say something disparaging here, but to be honest, it's just no fun without Yolk Sac for inspiration (and back-up). Besides, everytime he posts, I have to look up at least 6 words in a dictionary! frown

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by KiwiGuy - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
My First