Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,020
Posts558,577
Members18,537
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
9 members (catscratch, etx-pond-c, 2blade, Theo Gallus, 4CornersPuddle, Sunil, Shorthose, Fishingadventure, Knobber), 807 guests, and 215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Oh, geez, you wanted me to ask NON-controversial questions? You have to know me well enough to know I could never pull that off!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Sunil
When I wrote that, I was thinking "man, there's really no gristle in any of that," so Todd, take it as a mini-curse for the next time you have a ribeye or T-bone!

I'm thinking he should break a tooth on the T-Bone and fly to Lincoln to visit some part-time dentist we all know for the repairs. Condello would comandeer the plane, build a landing strip at the new Conderosa and force Todd to be his new fishing bi.....err....buddy...............wait!!! that would all be good!

Todd, considering you work land disputes for venison....move to Missouri and I'll keep you very fat and happy!

If we can pass you off as a yankee, they'll ignore it if you accidentally mistake my neighbor for a deer....your mistake will just get talked about around the hundreds of deer-camp fires until the next prize bull gets claimed as the record 2000 pound deer.

Last edited by Rainman; 01/11/11 03:55 PM. Reason: Amazing how well this thread stayed on topic!!!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Hey -- that reminds me. Anybody coming the the annual WV Aquaculture Conference this coming Friday and Saturday in Lewisburg, WV. I heard that some bald and bearded Pond Boss dude is giving a presentation on Pond Management on Friday, there are some great Pond Boss door prizes, and the conference will close out on Saturday with a "Taste of WV" which always provides local commercial food, better than anything I could ever prepare -- from smoked trout to wines.

Dang, when I first read the part about the "bald, bearded guy" I wondered how the heck can Todd put on a presentation???? I should have known he couldn't grow a beard that fast!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Good intuition - my goatee is all the facial hair I need. And Ken is far from bald - that guy has hair all the way around the perimeter of his head!

More importantly, though, Rex, is that you should have instantly realized he wasn't talking about me because I have virtually NOTHING of value to say on pond-related matters! Unlike JHAP, I don't even have a relevant/meaningful post count started!

Todd La Neve

Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
How long will the bullheads remain in the mud? Exactly 2 hours and 14 minutes after you have absolutely, positively concluded they are no longer there and restocked your pond! ;-)

More seriously, I think big bass will eventually wipe them out by eating the young as the old die off.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rangersedge
How long will the bullheads remain in the mud? Exactly 2 hours and 14 minutes after you have absolutely, positively concluded they are no longer there and restocked your pond! ;-)

More seriously, I think big bass will eventually wipe them out by eating the young as the old die off.

I'm not sure that is really the case. When I was growing up, some very close friends/neighbors had a 30-40 acre lake on their farm in northern Wisconsin. For at least the approximately 15 years I fished it, it had minimal fishing pressure -- mostly my friend's dad, my friend, a few cousins, and me. It had a good population of small to moderate northern pike (15-25 inch) and small to moderate moderate yellow perch (slender 7-10 inch) -- but no real trophies. In those days, there was little catch and release, although we still had to meet state regulations. We took all pike over 18 inches and virtually every perch. We might have taken 25-50 pike and a few hundred perch each season.

But, this lake was dominated by black bullheads. In the early summer, there were huge "clouds" of black bullhead fry and fingerlings. If we wanted bullhead for dinner, we would simply throw bread crumbs off the end of the dock, and then use a dip net to get our needed quota of 1-2 lb. bullheads for dinner.

I don't know why the pike and perch didn't wipe out the bullheads, but they never did in my days on that lake.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
D
DJT Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Update: 2 weeks ago when we had some warmer weather I went ahead and drained it again to see if they had come out of the mud. After completely draining it there was nothing but a few tadpoles. This means that either they are all gone or they have remained buried in the mud since October even the pond had completely refilled by Thanksgiving and stayed at full pool since then. My gut tells me they are still in the mud waiting for warm weather. The rain we had last Thursday completely refilled it again. I plan to grow some forage fish in it.

Last edited by DJT; 02/27/11 01:27 AM.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
M
M
Friend of mine who works in fisheries biology told me a while ago they netted a pond full of bullheads and made a pile of bullheads over three feet high. Over a week later they came back to spread the pile out for decomposition purposes and the bullheads in the middle were still alive, living off of the slime, I guess. My pond has bullheads also. I am thinking an over stocking of muskies is in order.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You may find an overstocking of LMB will do a better job of controlling bullheads than muskies would. Depends on a number of variables, including at what size your over abundant bullheads are stunting.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The LMB would be cheaper than Muskies as well. (and easier to source!)

Welcome from another Hoosier.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
Stocking a new 17 acre, 25 ft deep pond in KC, MO
by fletchccc - 05/20/24 11:12 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by Fishingadventure - 05/20/24 07:17 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Fish Finder?
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 04:03 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
BG sex?
by Bill Cody - 05/16/24 08:50 PM
Newly Uploaded Images