Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,105
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
9 members (Bill Cody, Boondoggle, FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Treeguy27, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS), 701 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#240504 11/07/10 11:17 AM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Greetings, fans of Pond Boss.
Here I sit, in a hotel room in College Station, Texas, savoring the Aggie's win last night against OU. We've had a fun time. My brother, Ron, invited me and a group of his friends to tag along with him for a weekend in Aggieland. We've had a blast. A great meal Friday night at Christopher's Grill, a trip to the Dixie Chicken and then Midnight Yell Practice in Kyle Field. Son Jonathan was a yell leader in 2003-04 and took Ron, his friends and I on an inside tour of the Midnight Yell. We followed the yell leaders on their march into the stadium and were on the field the whole time. After Yell practice, we called it a day and were asleep just around 1:30. Up at 6 sharp, Ron and I drove toward Bastrop, Texas, for a lake consultation with a fellow from Austin. Then, back to Aggieland before most people were out of bed. And, then there was the game.

Step off in the Quad. The Corps of Cadets, the heartbeat of Aggieland, form up and head to the game Saturday afternoon.

The Aggie Band. Texas A&M won the game and halftime, too.

Fall is here at LL,2 and the grandpeeps love to play in the leaves. Good times.

As always, we need to see some fish on this post! Here's a threadfin shad, (top) and a gizzard shad. See the differences?

Bass eat some interesting things. This bass regurgitated a partially digested gar. Count on us to show you some weird or disgusting things...but I know our audience. You pondmeisters love this kind of stuff.

Look at the pigmentation on this 7 lb bass' tail. I've seen several bass in this lake with big, distinct black pigmentation.

We harvested tilapia and had a group of friends over to share the bounty.

Here's some of our crew. Granddaughter Jentry, the Pond Boss, yours truly, Josh Flowers and Chad Fikes, staff fisheries biologists.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Bob Lusk #240508 11/07/10 11:26 AM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Earlier in October, Debbie and Gayle (my editorial assistant) wanted to set up a photo shoot to get some images for our Christmas cards. Here's what they did.

Back in 2005, our home burned down. We decided to rebuild. Debbie tried to be finished by Christmas, 2006, but it wasn't to be. So, we wanted to celebrate Christmas at LL,2, so we found a neat spot across the pond and we planted a living Christmas tree. We celebrated Christ's birth and enjoyed family around that tree. Here we are, 2010 and that gangly tree is almost 9 feet tall, up from the 4 feet it was when we planted it. It's overcome all Texas odds from intense heat to a shortage of moisture and is doing quite well. So, we decided to decorate it early and use it. We'll spend time there around Christmas, too. Here's some of the photos for those two days.

Gayle wanted to display the traveling lure collection before it headed off the California for its next adventure.

Bob Lusk #240510 11/07/10 11:34 AM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker

In the third week of October, I went to Cushing, Oklahoma to help a man design a management strategy for his ranch fishing lakes. Spent two days there, gathering data and making a plan for him. This is a nice bass from one of his lakes.

We got to hang with the grandpeeps for Halloween. I love those kiddos.

On Halloween, we electrofished James Holt's lake. Here's a nice hybrid striper from is north Texas lake.

After James' lake, I headed to Eagle's Nest preserve, to be involved with Lee Roy and Tandy Mitchell's Cinemark board of director's meeting. My role was to entertain and teach the board and Cinemark staff about the Wildlife and Fisheries management program at Eagle's Nest. I have a story to tell you...it will be part of my editor's letter in the Jan-Feb issue of Pond Boss. It involves the fellow in the photo below.

Roger Staubach was one of those role models when I was a teenager. I got to spend a little bit of time with him Monday and Tuesday of this week before heading to College Station. Be sure to read the Staubach story next issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails