Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl
18,507 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,971
Posts558,050
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,550
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
15 members (tim k, Ibanez540r, Joe7328, Shorthose, Rick O, J. R., Sunil, JoshMI, Theo Gallus, azteca, Augie, DrewSh, rjackson, esshup, catscratch), 708 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks for checking in Nick and for the kind comments. How about a few comments on what you have been up to over the last year and your journey from north to south ? I bet the PB family would like to hear about the journey and the story behind it.

Dave as I noted before , its not how many but how good that is important.

Last edited by ewest; 11/22/10 09:56 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Soak in that 2000th post.. Congrats

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Congratulations Dr. Dave on your 2,000th post!

We are very lucky to have you take the time to post on these forums.

Plus who else (well, besides Bill Cody) would take the time to include photos of GSF in their presentation just for us GSF aficionados!

We very much appreciate the contribution that you make to these forums Dr. Dave!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
F
Fingerling
Fingerling
F
It is an absolute HONOR to be number 2,000! Quite an accomplishment!! I will try to keep the Pond Boss family updated throughout my research. Very interesting and important study directly related to pond management!

Nick

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
How about a few comments on what you have been up to over the last year (Since PB Con. III) and your journey from north to south ? I bet the PB family would like to hear about the journey and the story behind it.

F
Fingerling
Fingerling
F
I guess I could do that ewest!

First off, for those who don’t know me, my name is Nick Peterson. I’m a small town, farm raised, corn-fed Iowa native transplanted in Mississippi for the time being working on my Master’s degree in Fisheries Science. I attended South Dakota State University for my undergraduate degree and came to know the Pond Boss family through a mentor of mine that you all may know by the name of Dr. David Willis, current head of the Wildlife and Fisheries Science Department at South Dakota State University.

While at SDSU, I was provided the grand opportunity to conduct undergraduate research working with largemouth bass and bluegill in South Dakota small impoundments and presented our research at Pond Boss III in Springfield, MO where I met my current advisor, Dr. J. Wesley Neal. Dr. Neal mentioned some research opportunities working with largemouth bass in PUERTO RICO, and soon after offered me a position. The opportunity for a 23 year old Iowa farm boy to live and work in Puerto Rico AND work with the notorious largemouth bass... couldn’t turn it down! smile

I started my Master’s Degree at Mississippi State University in January 2010. The focus of my research is to determine the importance of genetic diversity in LMB populations from small impoundments throughout the Southeastern US. In Cerrillos Reservoir, Puerto Rico, we have a LMB population that was originally stocked in 1957 from a low number of fish (only 30 individuals). These individuals potentially have been inbreeding with their siblings for 53+ years! You don’t see that very often! We will use this population as a model to compare with small impoundments throughout the Southeast US. Also, we will be working with the Big Dog himself, Mr. Bob Lusk, to collect some LMB from around the south! Looking forward to it!

In the end, we hope to be able to provide recommendations for the importance of genetic refreshment in isolated populations (i.e., private ponds/impoundments). Pretty much: What happens when you stock an isolated pond with LMB and not restock/supplement with alternative genes for many years? How often should LMB populations be ‘refreshed’... Or should they be ‘refreshed’ at all? I would love to start a discussion on the PB Forum to collect some opinions on this topic. smile

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yet another great contact made at the Pond Boss Convention!! What a great opportunity! Are you going to make it to the next one in April Nick? I met Wes at the meeting too ~ he was in the fishing tournament with my dad and he went to NC State like I did ~ he is a great guy!

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Nick!

PB family , Nick is one of the students you helped. Dr. J. Wesley Neal is a PB Forum member and has some very thought provoking posts. Doc Neal spoke at the PB III conv. In talking to Wes we learned he had a position for a masters degree student doing research . In talking to Dave Willis and Nick we learned that Nick was considering masters work but was not sure at the time. So we all sat down in the area adjacent to the meeting room and shared ideas and what-ifs and now you know the rest of the story.

The point - you guys' help with the SDSU students through PB touches the lives of real people offering opportunity and encouragement through your involvement (time, donations ,presence , advice and caring). Well done PB and Nick and their facilitators Wes Neal and Dave Willis. Just look at what you started Bob. cool

F
Fingerling
Fingerling
F
Sue- I still dont know for sure if I will attend PB IV this March. Graduate school tends to keep us graduate students quite busy! However, Dr. Neal and I contacted Mr. Lusk about the possibility of giving a talk over our research...to make it an excused absence with the graduate school. smile I had a great time last year, so hopefully things work out!

Thanks ewest! I still remember the talk we all had at the lodge that day during the convention. You're right, Mississippi is a beautiful place! If only I could find some free time to hunt and fish a bit while I'm here!

Last edited by FutureBoss; 11/23/10 07:04 PM.
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Hello, everyone!
I'm pretty excited about Nick's and Dr. Neal's research...I've always loved research. In this case, it's stuff that will directly impact the way we think as pond managers.
Nick is a thriving example of all things good about higher education.
Nick...start making plans to come to Pond Boss IV. You and Dr. Neal will definitely be on the program.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
Frustrated
by tim k - 04/30/24 07:58 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/30/24 06:49 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by H20fwler - 04/29/24 09:41 PM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:18 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:34 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!