Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo
18,513 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,988
Posts558,232
Members18,514
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,567
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
10 members (x101airborne, pebaugh, KiwiGuy, B storm, Sunil, Mainer, Meandvls, JKK, Knobber, DrewSh), 1,024 guests, and 145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I found one on Craigslist, and I'm picking up one that is in almost brand new condition for $200.00 in the morning.

I'm building another rotating biofilter for my second RAS, and absolutely refuse to cut the PVC parts and 50 circular plates with a sabre saw this time! I've always wanted and needed a bandsaw around the shop and will finally have one!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/14/10 08:42 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I picked it up this morning. Hardly used, extra blades, safety goggles etc. This will sure beat the sabre saw!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Grizzly makes good stuff for home use.. They don't seem too hold up in a commercial setting as good though. You got a good deal. Is it verticle or horizontal or both.. If you find a Bridgeport in same condition let me know lol.. Also what does RAS mean?

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Lunker
Lunker
Grizzly tools made from about the turn of the century on are good stuff. Their earlier tools weren't as good (think Harbor Freight) but they then started having stuff made to a higher standard.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Harbor freight still sells grizzly..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm thinking central machinery not grizzly

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Hmmm, whats the subject?
Grizzly or bandsaw?

PAUL
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0580-14%2522-Bandsaw-HP/dp/B0007D2WS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287243381&sr=8-1

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Hey,

Your link dont work. I was going to copy and paste, but when I highlighted and right clicked, an option came up to go to the site. I clicked it and it opened up in a new tab.

Thats a neat feature.

BTW, Nice Saw smile

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Hey,

Your link dont work. I was going to copy and paste, but when I highlighted and right clicked, an option came up to go to the site. I clicked it and it opened up in a new tab.

Thats a neat feature.

BTW, Nice Saw smile

Try this one:

http://grizzly.com/products/g0580

It sure will be nice to cut the PVC halves for the water baffle and the plates now for the second biofilter! I think $200.00 vs. $469.00 was a good deal no? Of course mine is a little used but not much. The guy only used it for one project.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/16/10 11:00 AM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Thats better.

I miss my shop and all of the toys, but the chain of events that occurred... frown

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Minor SNAFU: I went through the manual and noticed the previous owner had the blade upside down. (Teeth faced up instead of down). That was an easy fix but then noticed the blade tension was set for 1/8th inch blade not the 3/8ths inch blade that was in the saw. However I encountered problems there. Turns out the Blade Adjusting Screw Assembly Bolt and Square Nut were cross threaded and I'll have to order a new one in the morning. At least I still saved a lot of money getting it for $200.00 vs. almost $500.00.

I think he sold it 'cause he didn't think it cut very well. (Well yeah the blade was upside down!)and he messed up the tension adjustment! grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/17/10 08:03 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A band saw is an indispensible wood shop toy. I have an old cheapie Craftsman and it's still kickin' some 30 years later.
Nice toy, CB1.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

Any idea what the thread size is on that? I probably have a tap and die that can clean up the threads.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

Any idea what the thread size is on that? I probably have a tap and die that can clean up the threads.

Not really. Thanks Scot but I'll just order another specialized bolt and nut and be done with it. It looks like the square nut got messed up too. Sure appreciate the offer though!

BTW, the two freezers that were blocking the hallway between my taxidermy shop and the new fish tank room are now along the back wall of the garage, next to a bench the wife build years ago with her Shopsmith -- along with the band saw. My boat came out of the garage and now there is so much room!

Hopefully the friend with the gallon of epoxy to repair the tanks will be by soon so I can get that out of the way! When I finally get the tanks going I'll have to wait for the second one to recycle! Delays delays! At least I've have some filter material sitting in the clarifier to collect bacteria for the last few weeks, which should speed things up.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/20/10 11:04 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski
A band saw is an indispensible wood shop toy. I have an old cheapie Craftsman and it's still kickin' some 30 years later.
Nice toy, CB1.

Yeah I'm excited to use it!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, I think you'll get more use out of that than you think!

hey, save the old parts. Next time I'm over that way I'll grab them from you, clean them up and get'em back to you for spares.

When do you need help seining?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil, I think you'll get more use out of that than you think!

hey, save the old parts. Next time I'm over that way I'll grab them from you, clean them up and get'em back to you for spares.

When do you need help seining?

Used it tonight to make the baffle plates for the second RBC. Wow it's amazing how much fun it can be when you have the right tool!

I'm getting my epoxy tomorrow and got the old stuff all ground down and roughed up today. Going to paint the entire inside of the tank.

As far as seining I'm still waiting for a bill from Purdue and the paperwork I need. The vet says all the fish tested negative.

At least the BOAH vet is the one going to bat for me. She's good and will put the pressure on for me.

In a year or so I hope to have holding tanks in a pole barn so I can do this more seamlessly.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/22/10 01:25 PM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I would be interested in knowing what permit would be needed from Missouri. I am only aware of salmonids requiring an importation permit.....nothing else requires it as far as I know.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
I would be interested in knowing what permit would be needed from Missouri. I am only aware of salmonids requiring an importation permit.....nothing else requires it as far as I know.

Rex,

Here's what I got from the contact person with your department of Ag in Missouri, Linda Hickam:

Cecil,

Missouri Dept. Of Agriculture requires a permit (have your veterinarian call 573-751-3377) and. Certificate of Veterinary Inspection for any aquaculture entering MO. VHS susceptible species must meet USDA testing requirements for interstate movement-the test results must be submitted to the Animal Health Division prior to issuing a permit.

Please contact me if you have any questions,

Linda Hickam

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/22/10 05:38 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jones furnishes a cert for FHM and GHS - coming from Ohio.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Pehaps they should put that requirement in the codes....A pre-entry permit simply isn't required unless it is a salmonid. There is the APHIS permit/certification required though. Ask the woman what permit is required.

Here is the latest I've seen and went into effect in May 2010

Missouri Department of Conservation Regulatory Authority

Missouri Department of Conservation has most of the regulatory control over aquaculture and baitfish activities in the State. A good summary of State regulations can be found on the MOAA website: http://moaquaculture.org/regs/regs.htm

Aquaculture

Aquaculture facilities raising approved aquatic species do not require annual facility registration (discharge permits may apply). The approved aquatic species list can be found at 3 CSR 10-9.110(3)F:

www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3c10-9.pdf

Exemptions exist for rearing species not on the approved species list for confined aquarium, “closed systems”, and species that cannot survive in fresh water. Written authorization is required from the Department of Conservation for rearing non-approved species in “closed aquaculture systems”.

Salmonid import permits

A salmonid import permit is required to import live fish or gametes "of the family Salmonidae (trouts, char, salmon)" into the state. (see 3 CSR 10-9.110(4)):

Sources must be currently certified as negative for viral hemorrhagic septicemia, infectious pancreatic necrosis, infectious hematopietic necrosis, Myxobolus cerebralis or other diseases which may threaten fish stocks within the state, must have been certified negative for the previous three (3) consecutive years and must not pose a threat of introducing unwanted species. Certification will only be accepted from federal, state or industry personnel approved by the department and only in accordance with provisions on the permit application form. Permits applications can be obtained from the MO Department of Conservation (see contact above).

VHS susceptible species imports from Great Lake States

This activity is covered under the VHS Federal Order.

Baitfish dealer permits

3 CSR 10-10.735 Sale of Live Bait (excerpts)

(1) Any person, group or business that sells live bait, as defined in 3 CSR 10-6.605, must register annually with the department as a live bait dealer. Registration forms may be obtained by contacting the Department of Conservation, and are available online at the following website: http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/12483.pdf

(2) Live bait may not be sold if obtained from the waters of the state except when taken by a licensed commercial fisherman from commercial waters. Live bait purchased or obtained from a licensed commercial fisherman or other legal sources must be species listed in the Approved Aquatic Species List (3 CSR 10-9.110(3)(F)).

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm with you Rex. If one needs a permit they need to clearly post it somewhere which they didn't. I shouldn't have to ask them to find out. I was referred to two websites for fish transportation by the NCRAC list serve info for Missouri and it was not on either. Of course sometimes these state agencies don't know for sure themselves.

As you know all of these states can't get together and come up with similar rules. Hell some require a permit just to pass through their state as you know. I believe West Virginia did when I hauled some trout from Virginia.

My vet is taking care of it and she is in contact with Hickaman's office. She says I should have the permit next week.

BPS has decided they want me to transport the fish now. It's extra money I suppose. I'm going to have the trailer and vehicle gone over to make sure there are no problems. Repack the bearings in the trailer wheels too.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/23/10 07:29 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
My First
by x101airborne - 05/04/24 05:54 PM
What made this noise?
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 02:58 PM
RENOVATION TO A POND FILLING IT WITH CONCRETE
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 02:10 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 01:34 PM