Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,020
Posts558,575
Members18,537
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
8 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, phinfan, teehjaeh57, Sunil, Mainer, catscratch, Angler8689), 972 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Anyone volunteering to contact Applied Biochemists?

I will.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
So did I. You're just to fast AP! grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
OP Offline
T
Cecil, my trout came from Aqua springs in Big Rapids Mi the first two times. We are currently putting a order in with the fish farm in Harrison Mi.
The first year we aerated 24/7 with no dye and lost all the fish. This year we are aerating just 4 hours a day and have added dye. The fish are doing well and seemed to have survived the summer heat.
Our pond sides are quite steep. We get weeds around the edges of the pond (Out to 6 foot or so) but the rest of the pond seems to be weed free. I wish I had some scuba gear to actually see what it looks like down there. Of course with the dye, maybe I wouldnt see far anyways.

Last edited by timberframe; 10/16/10 10:31 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
[quote]Not sure if you're aware of this but if you feed the trout it's not unusual to produce 10 lb. rainbows, 10 pound browns, and 3 to 4 pound brook trout in only a few years. Sometimes you'll get a few that will get even bigger if water temps and oxygen are good.

Wow Cecil, I love the thought of that. But I have put 4 pound test on all the fishing poles. cry

Last edited by timberframe; 10/16/10 10:29 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I caught a 14 lb CC on either 4 or 6 pound test line in my pond, so a 10# trout on 4# test is doable. wink

Just get the drag set right, hope and pray that they stay away from any cover or weeds!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: timberframe
Cecil, my trout came from Aqua springs in Big Rapids Mi the first two times.

That's one of Bob Baldwin's farms isn't it? He and I graduated from the same college with a fisheries degree with him a year a head of me. He's a wealth of information and he's patiently answered many questions I've had.

I'm always on the look out for sources of trout in case my present source has problems, although I'm taking a break on trout for now. Besides my well died the other day for some reason. However even though Michigan is blessed with trout farms, many don't do the testing required for out of state stocking as it's too expensive. Some have gotten out of the trout stocking business all together and only raise trout for the table which requires no health testing.

We are currently putting a order in with the fish farm in Harrison Mi.
The first year we aerated 24/7 with no dye and lost all the fish. This year we are aerating just 4 hours a day and have added dye. The fish are doing well and seemed to have survived the summer heat.

That's a very good sign as this summer was one of the hottest on record in the Midwest and elsewhere. It set all time records down here in Indiana.

Our pond sides are quite steep. We get weeds around the edges of the pond (Out to 6 foot or so) but the rest of the pond seems to be weed free. I wish I had some scuba gear to actually see what it looks like down there. Of course with the dye, maybe I wouldnt see far anyways.

Any underwater camera may be an option.

T
OP Offline
T
Took picture of pond today. It is roughly 150x350 in size. Zipline for the kids run most of its length. Quite a few pussywillows growing along the edge this year. Hope the pic comes through Ok cause this is my first time attaching picture.
We caught rainbows today that were 14" long. They were planted in April at 7" long.

Attached Images
3 640.jpg 3 642.jpg 3 636.jpg 3 637.jpg
Last edited by timberframe; 10/17/10 08:00 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Great looking place, timberframe!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
T
OP Offline
T
We lost 20 cherry trees after we built the pond. Even though they were back aways from the pond, the water must of saturated the roots. Also we are finding that growing grass around the pond is hard to do when using dirt that was gathered from the digging of the pond.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Nice pond and place! Watch those cattails, they can get out of hand along your shoreline and the next thing you know they are all the way around the pond!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We lost 20 cherry trees after we built the pond. Even though they were back aways from the pond, the water must of saturated the roots. Also we are finding that growing grass around the pond is hard to do when using dirt that was gathered from the digging of the pond.

You need to seed, throw on some topsoil, and then roll burlap over that and stake it. You can buy 300 feet X six feet wide rolls from Dayton Burlap for about $100.00 on the Internet.

Straw is cheaper but if you don't keep it wet it has a tendency to blow into the pond.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/17/10 08:18 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Sorry to hear that - I bet it would have been absolutely beautiful to have those blooming around that nice looking pond. Surprising that they died if they were set back far enough. I don't know much about cherry trees (other than if you chop one down, you are overcome with guilt and can't lie about having done it), but that seems odd.

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

You need to seed, throw on some topsoil, and then roll burlap over that and stake it. You can buy 300 feet X six feet wide rolls from Dayton Burlap for about $100.00 on the Internet.

Straw is cheaper but if you don't keep it wet it has a tendency to blow into the pond.

Don't forget to get a soil test done to see what's needed.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
OP Offline
T
Can anyone tell me if I need to establish structure in my pond for trout? The pond bottom is flat with 10 to 12 foot of water, depending on the time of year.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I believe trout like structure just like other fish, but prefer differences in water movement over anything else.

T
OP Offline
T
I figured if the trout never spawned because there is no inlet or outlet, maybe I didnt need structure. Anyways it seems to me that all the trout that were delivered were females.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think the stream trout prefer structure for various reasons and I've seen lake and pond fish hang in weedbeds. However trout are very happy being pelagic too as long as they get something to eat.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
I believe trout like structure just like other fish, but prefer differences in water movement over anything else.

HIJACK ALERT

So, Omaha, what the heck is with the UT logo on your signature now? Have you switched allegiance after the 'Horns put it on Nebraska so badly last weekend? grin grin

Todd La Neve

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Lost a bet man. Have to wear it for a month. Disgusting isn't it? frown

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Anyone volunteering to contact Applied Biochemists?

I got an e-mail back from Arch chemicals and they said that they haven't done any tests to determine affects of pond dye on water temp.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Lost a bet man. Have to wear it for a month. Disgusting isn't it? frown

Scandalous! Just try to avoid reading your own posts during that time, and remember that when you change back to your own colors, all of these hideous UT cow heads will disappear and it will be like it never happened!

Todd La Neve

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Omaha; Tried to slip that one by, huh?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I will that Todd! Dave, I knew it wasn't going to slip by anyone...unfortunately. frown

Lunker
Lunker
I didn't make any bets.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Will I can say the man stoodup and took it like a man.

Just working my pond for Grandkids
GET THE NET PAWPAW
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by Fishingadventure - 05/20/24 07:17 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Fish Finder?
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 04:03 PM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 03:50 PM
Stocking a new 17 acre, 25 ft deep pond in KC, MO
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 03:40 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
BG sex?
by Bill Cody - 05/16/24 08:50 PM
Newly Uploaded Images