Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,089
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (FishinRod, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 740 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I would never want to dispute any others experience, obsevations or experience with a fish species. In the interest of providing as much comparative information possible, I've questioned some information to consider and provided some extra.

I agree Mozambique tilapia mature earlier, but only by about a week on the average. In optimal conditions, Moz first spawn at an avearge of 11 weeks of age where Blues spawn at an average 12 weeks of age. There are also many reports and studies that show Moz mature as late as 4-5 months and Blues at 5-6 months as well. One consistant comparison I have noticed in the many reports I have read that clearly compare the 2 species is that Moz mature at a minimum size of 14cm and Blues at 10cm.

With all the inconsistancy in cited scientific studies, fact sheets, articles and reports, how can any layman know which ones are accurate.....or even CLOSE to accurate in many cases?

As an example since Dr. Lock was mentioned, Dr. Lock states in this Paper "Tilapia directly feed on phytoplankton and reproduce every 6 to 8 weeks beginning
when they are 8 to 12 weeks old, depending on species. The T. mossambica and/or T. zilli are probably the best forage
producers, but T. nilotica and T. aurea are excellent.".

Now just to highlight the improper generalities that confuse people terribly and are often made in reports and even worse in studies, Dr Lock says spawning occurs at "10-12 weeks" old. Now I know from research this statement ONLY refers to T. mossambica and T. aurea, because on average, T. zillii reach maturity at 104 weeks (2 years) and T. nilotica at 26 weeks.---I don't see how his stated range is anywhere near accurate average of his four stated species. I am not questioning his knowledge, merely pointing out how easily flawed information can be when not presented clearly for people researching the fish to make an informed decision.

Given the closeness of maturity between Moz and Blues, I would agree that in the same time frame and conditions, Moz would produce more fish due to the early maturity. However, without going in to the brain exploding math required, IMO Blue tilapia will produce more total forage in a growing season in the same climates and without predation.

Further, and most importantly IMO, is that Moz become lethargic at a temperature where LMB metabolism is higher and the higher metabolism prevents as many lipids (fat) from being stored as compared to the LMB's metabolism when the Blues become lethargic and are gorged upon. This single fact will reduce winter weight loss, increase energy stores and increase the overall health and condition of LMB in the following spring. Actual flesh created from the tilapia's consumed should be nearly identical, but I am unaware of any study that would actually verify the flesh comparison.

It can also be reasonably debated that Blue tilapia will consume a wider variety of material than other tilapia since many user want them for far more plant control than mainly algae.

It does come down to the math, but to reach a desired goal, there is far more to put into the equation than price in what will reach the desired goal. If it is simply a matter of the outright price per pound, Blues won't be a good choice.

Given the considerably better cold tolerance of the Blue, I can't see how any other tilapia can out produce the Blue in sheer numbers and nutrients consumed in a single growing season, but I could be wrong.

FWIW, as I stated, I based this particular stocking rate suggestion overly high to attain the stated goals in a single season. Future stockings would be much lower once the goals are reached.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: overtonfisheries

Thanks Rainman for this referral, we appreciate it very much. I don't want to come across as trying to jump in here and cost you a sale or anything like that.

Happy to do so Todd!

I didn't take your post as any sort of a slam. Quite the contrary, I like all the information and options available to the members here your post added. I'm much more interested in helping a potential customer reach their goal than making a sale...I know you have the same philosophy as well.

These types of threads are what make Pond Boss so unique! With aqll the misinformation and myths out there for people to take as gospel, PB breaks throught the BS to offer readers MANY choices based on actual experience.

U
U
Originally Posted By: overtonfisheries

FYI, this location just West of Gainesville is NOT our affiliate, our representative is located near Bowie, TX. His name is Walter, and he can deliver tilapia to North Tx and Oklahoma.

Thanks for letting me know!

Bowie is still closer than Buffalo. wink

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Thanks Rainman for that I appreciate it and I respect what you are doing and all the work you are putting into it. For you and I both we strive to produce a high quality product...priceless.

It's ALL about the fish!
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I think it would be interesting to run an experiment with true blues vs. true mozambiques in both climates. I would like you to see my tilapia production ponds right now in the peak of the season, they are why people thought Jesus walked on water......worthy of a youtube video.....

It's ALL about the fish!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Perhaps Bill Cody and or Ted Lea could be persuaded to find a few ponds in northern Ohio willing to volunteer for that next spring...?

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
This may seem like a stupid question but since I do not know much about either Tilapia would it be wise or hurt to stock both Blues, and Mozzies?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
It wouldn't hurt anything at all. If the hope is to gey a more cold tolerant hybrid, it won't happen. The better cold tolerance of the Blue does not pass on in a hybrid...some hybrids even end up with less cold tolerance than both parent species.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
What about growth, spawn, or taste?

Also is there a name for this hybrid?

What is a T. Zilli as mentioned above?

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Does each type of Tilapia (Blue, Mozzies, Niles) eat different types of Algae, plants, etc. from each other or are the diets about the same?

G
G
Does anyone know a supplier in or near west Texas? Buffalo and Bowie are half way across the country.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T

G
G
Thanks, 250 miles to the nearest, wow.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Gmoore

That's just around the corner in Texas standard isn't it? shocked

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Rainman

That's just around the corner in Texas standard isn't it? shocked

250 Miles, is 250 Miles, no matter where you come from!

G
G
Yea, just around the corner. lol.
I'll plan a trip to the Dallas area for a weekend outing or something and try to make a side trip while there. It kinda sux to live in BFE, but you live where the work is I guess.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
One good thing...Tilapia won't have much issue with a long haul. Just make sure your supplier doesn't feed the fish for at least three days prior to your pick up date.

G
G
Hey, how about that? My first hijacked topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Hey, how about that? My first hijacked topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Gmoore!!!!

Now if you click the "Donate" button in the upper right hand corner, the Pond Boss will give ya some gold stars! grin grin grin

K
K
That's why I am an idea of what I need for each situation. If you can afford to do so next year I will, otherwise I will stick with the one I see most beneficial to me or friends and go in that direction. I hope to have some ideas on how I need to start planning and saving for the event.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday