Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave Davidson1), 781 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Ok next spring I am going to go for it and stock some Tilapia in at least 4 ponds, some are ours and others are some friends etc.

We can use the 1 acre stocking method and I can either multiply or divide those numbers once we recalculate the surface area next spring.

My goal for each pond is different and need to know how many to stock based on the following:

Pond 1
Stocking them to feed on and clear the muck from an old pond no current fish population.

Pond 2
Stocking them to feed on and clear the muck from an old pond that has a few LMB and HBG.

Pond 3
Stocking them for algae and vegetation control (as well as forage), many fish present, GSF, HBG, LMB, CC.

Pond 4
Stocking them to grow out to transfer to other ponds or for food in the fall, no known fish population.

Please let me know what sizes are recommended for each and how many should be stocked.

Thanks

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Any ideas from the experts?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I can tell you this I hope you have deep pockets! Cause it's going to cost you some pretty good green to stock 4 ponds!!

I have a 3/4 acre pond and Rex told me once with my muck issues he reccomended 10 pounds of TP for the one pond. I think if I remember right it was 25 dollars a pound but don't quote me on that.

Last edited by RC51; 09/17/10 11:30 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
That is why I am trying to get an idea how many I need for each situation. If I can afford to do them all next year I will, if not I will take the ones I see most beneficial to myself or friends and go that route.

I hope to get some ideas as to how many I need so I can start planning and saving for the event.

Thanks

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Here in Texas you can get Tilapia for $10 a pound from most suppliers including Todd Overton. Most of the things I have read suggest 7-10 lbs per acre. You could stock now and might get a month or two tops before they die off. Next spring stock when water temps are above 60 and you know they will stay there. If the temps drop back down, your Tilapia might die off. If you do this each spring, your bass will have ample forage all spring and summer.

Last edited by ezylman; 09/17/10 12:40 PM.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Check with Todd Overton for stocking rates on your various ponds.
He may have sold out for this year but getting late this year anyway.
His costs are $8.00/lb

Don't know about N.E. Oklahoma but in N.E. Texas no such luck on vegetation and muck removal - FA control and forage only.

Five to ten lbs tilapia/acre stocking rate for our ponds depending upon FA problems.
Six years experience tilapia program - they are a magic bullet!
Good luck

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
ezylman, in Tx., only Mozambique are legal for stocking. TX has a long growing season, and water heating costs for overwintering are at a minimum. Plus there are several suppliers so the volume and competition lowers the price. TX is also about the only state that has a mostly mixed sex stock of tilapia (Moz.) grown primarily for pond stocking. Mozambique and the far more common Nile tilapia do very poorly outside very warm climates. There is a vast differance in not only what each tilapia species can do, but the results are even more pronounced in different climates. This difference makes stocking rates vastly different as well in each climate.

Pure strain Blue Tilapia, (what I supply) have a comparatively much lower cold tolerance than either Mozambique, Nile, or any hybrid tilapia. This lower cold tolerance allows Blues to reproduce at colder temps than others and in same-length growing seasons, Blues can produce nearly twice the number of offspring than other tilapia's. The higher reproduction is NOT a good thing in warmer TX climates, but a must for colder climates, roughly from North American Hardiness zone 8a and lower. (8a is the transition zone)

Texas is rather unique for supplying Tilapia because there is a large demand for pond stocking that could be filled, yet did not really exist anywhere else outside the state. I set out to supply a Tilapia species that would live longer in colder climates, therefore satisfying and increasing, even creating the demand with a Tilapia that could produce RESULTS. There are other tilapia suppliers that have fish at a lower price, but they are not showing the desired results, mostly because of either mostly male stockings and reduced cold-tolerance/reproduction potential.

One large central US fish farm tried distributing tilapia and got them at a low price only to tick off a lot of customers from a lack of results. They found out quickly what most people do when they stock solely based on price....All tilapia are NOT the same. They lost a few clients, but worse, they ruined a potential market with inferior fish! In this fish farms case, he purchased hybrid fish for pond stocking that were primarily grown for the food industry. The fish were 95%+ males and there was virtually no reproduction. All Male stock makes up probably 95% or more of all tilapia produced and raised in the United States.

As with ANY product, small orders will alwyas be more expensive than large orders. As an example, the 10 pound order RC51 mentioned would cost him $25/lb and have 700 miles of transportation cost, 12-15 hours of delivery labor cost, 8-10 months of growing cost with untold hours of labor involved, etc....probably close to $800 to deliver a $250 order......there has to be the large volume to cover the expenses and the volume takes time to develop and lower prices.

Last edited by Rainman; 09/17/10 02:22 PM.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Rainman,

You have an idea what rates I would need for the situations I have above?

I am sure Blues would be my best option based on location and what I am wanting done, but I may be off base here.

Please let me know what you would recommend, and if you will either be through Oklahoma next spring or how close you will be where I could meet you at that stop.

Thanks

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Blues have shown to do a good job with muck removal....What city are you in? Northern Oklahoma can be tricky on stocking rates with the wild climate swings and wind.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey RM,

Nothing wrong with having to turn a profit hey! I know you go through a lot of man hours rasing them pure Blue TP and to ensure quality fish! Hard to put a price tag on that! Make no bones about it boys Rainman is the guy to get TP from he knows his stuff and he is NOT going to dissappoint you that's for sure! And if something does go wrong he will have your back there is no doubt.

Last edited by RC51; 09/17/10 02:18 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Corey, I appreciate the Kudos.

Yes, we all have to turn a profit. It's also not easy (or cheap) to introduce something to new markets that can do so much in a pond.

George1 likes to call them a magic bullet, and they are in the right situations for certain goals. That is what makes giving blanket stocking rates immpossible. Every pond, goal, and climate is different.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: Rainman

Yes, we all have to turn a profit. It's also not easy (or cheap) to introduce something to new markets that can do so much in a pond.

George1 likes to call them a magic bullet, and they are in the right situations for certain goals. That is what makes giving blanket stocking rates immpossible. Every pond, goal, and climate is different.

That is why I tried to explain what my goals are for each pond above. If there are other variables you need please let me know.

As far as the ponds locations:

Some are just north of Nowata.

Some are just west of Bartlesville

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
Ok next spring I am going to go for it and stock some Tilapia in at least 4 ponds, some are ours and others are some friends etc.

We can use the 1 acre stocking method and I can either multiply or divide those numbers once we recalculate the surface area next spring.

My goal for each pond is different and need to know how many to stock based on the following:

Pond 1
Stocking them to feed on and clear the muck from an old pond no current fish population.

Heavy stocking at 50-60# per acre

Pond 2
Stocking them to feed on and clear the muck from an old pond that has a few LMB and HBG.

Very heavy stocking to overwhelm predation at 60-80# per acre

Pond 3
Stocking them for algae and vegetation control (as well as forage), many fish present, GSF, HBG, LMB, CC.

Standard NOK rate at 25-40# per acre depending on normal plant growth desired to be reduced

Pond 4
Stocking them to grow out to transfer to other ponds or for food in the fall, no known fish population.

5# and fertilize/aerate the water to produce HEAVY algae bloom and avoid a DO crash along with greatly reducing canniblism...Seine weekly starting 2-3 weeks after water temps at 1 foot hit 80* with a 1" net. (should produce in excess of 500# of forage annually) Be prepared to either do a final year end seining with a 1/8-1/4" fine mesh at 60* water temps to remove most fish or you'll be cleaning up a truckload of dead fish.

Please let me know what sizes are recommended for each and how many should be stocked.

Thanks

This is based on the Tulsa/B-ville area with the Blue Tilapia stocked in the standard UNGRADED 7-9" average sizes and your stated goals on each pond. Other 50/50 mixed sex tilapia species would need to be stocked at a rate 70-125% higher for comparative results. It is also for a first year stocking---future stockings would need adjusting and are usually around 20%-50% lighter for maintaining the seperate goals.

Last edited by Rainman; 09/17/10 03:03 PM.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M

Wow that is some high stock rates, and this would be adjusted for size of pond as well? For instance one main pond is about .3 acres.

How many fish do you get per pound?

Also would it be possible to use a smaller fish to start out with say 3-6 inches? If so would the pounds stay the same?

I thought I had read that the smaller fish actually eat more of the muck etc. than the larger fish, is this true for the Blues?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Fish per pound can vary from <1->15/lb but will average 3-4.

You are looking at the stocker fish short-sightedly---Yes, smaller fish are more voracious eaters, but in 2-3 weeks your 4-6 inch stockers are now 7-9 inches long and producing 1000's of babies versus 100's each spawn. Starting with larger fish will produce far more fish and total flesh grown (nutrients consumed) in the same growing season.

Your goal of Muck removal sounds easy, but that muck has to be converted to flesh. Dig out a cubic yard of muck, dry it and see how many pounds it weighs....it takes a LOT of fish to eat a lot of food!!!

Last edited by Rainman; 09/17/10 03:59 PM.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Rainman

Rex, in all fairness to you and Overton being friends of mine, and wanting both of you to be successful in your business, and to be fair with Mr. Hello, I wanted to share my successful tilapia experience with Mr. Hello.

As you say N.E. OK may be in a transition zone, Mozambique may be as successful as Blue tilapia.
Overton has a representative in N. Texas and a pick-up would eliminate a very expensive delivery charge.

Overton as well as you, has a vast knowledge of the various tilapia species and a reputation for supplying high quality fish grown out on his fish farm as well as out of state reliable suppliers..

I personally would ask for bids from both you and Overton.
Maybe Todd will chime in …..

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Not a problem George. I refer a lot of the more southerly inquiries to Todd because it would cost the customer less. In your case, you use the tilapia primarily for algae, plus you manage your water far better than most. That makes a HUGE difference in what rates need stocking. In this case, having lived in Mr. Hello's area while in College, His climate is far cooler than your's (8-12 weeks shorter) and the Mozambique and Niloticas just don't last nearly as long as they will in your area. I have also followed Mr Hello's descriptions of his ponds, muck/plant problems and they are bigger issues than most have. We may have even spoken at length on the phone and that may have led to him joining the PBF.

U
U
Rainman referred me to Overton's and I've been happy with the tilapia I got from them. Pond is clear of FA and there are schools of small tilapia swimming all over the place right now.

I stocked 30# in a 2.5 acre pond for $240 +gas and they have done wonders. And they are a lot easier to work with than chemicals.

Last weekend while hand feeding the channel cat I saw one tilapia come up and eat a couple of pellets that looked like it had about quadrupled in size from when I stocked them in late May. They were all in about the 5" to 7" range then.

Stumbled across the place I think is their North Texas affiliate just West of Gainesville a couple of weeks ago. Sure am glad to know about them because that cuts about 6 hours of driving time off the trip to Buffalo, TX from Ardmore, OK.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
This is why I posted this to get some ideas as what could work, and most important get feedback from people that have actually used them for similar goals as I have stated above.

I just hope I can afford to do this next year, if nothing else I plan to at least make one of them happen.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
They aren't a sure thing magic bullet. Some friends of mine stocked 150 pounds, yes POUNDS, in a 1.5 acre pond for FA Control. This was after having it sprayed with Cutrine Plus.

The FA came roaring back with a vengeance. I told them to forget about it for this year and we will start earlier next year.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
B
Seems like ponds without a fish population, might be better renovated with a pump, and heavy equipment? Guaranteed to remedy the problem, and you are not losing a population that you have built. Might invest the money stocking tilapia in ponds that you want to maintain in good health. So it would seem that ponds 2,3 and 4 are tilapia candidates, while pond one is a candidate for an excavator.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
This would be ideal to fix it as needed, I just thought I might try some Tilapia until we decide to fix it, which may be next fall or 2 years from now.

At any rate I hate to see the water set empty and thougt that I could put some in it to clean up as much as possible, provide some forage for another pond, or just some relaxing fishing catching the TP with the kids for good times.

Either way we should be able to at least get some nice size ones out before they die off and have them for a tasty meal.

Each pond we have could benefit from Tilapia in one way or another, I am just trying to figure out what kinds can or should be used and how many of each and of what size should be stocked.

Rainman has given some good ideas and I should get in touch with him for more details.

I would also like to hear from others as well as I think that is one of the best uses of this forum is to get results from other PB members.

I love this site and wish I would have found it first before stocking the pond in December.

I subscribed back in July so still learning here.

Thanks

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
They aren't a sure thing magic bullet. Some friends of mine stocked 150 pounds, yes POUNDS, in a 1.5 acre pond for FA Control. This was after having it sprayed with Cutrine Plus.

The FA came roaring back with a vengeance. I told them to forget about it for this year and we will start earlier next year.

Agreed! It would be nice if we could get the fish to eat what WE want rather than what they want! shocked shocked smile

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO

Pond 1

Pond 2

Pond 3

Pond 4

Thanks

Here are my recommendations:
Pond 1, no predation expected, expect overpopulation and possible stunting of tilapia, stock 5-10 lbs per acre initially

Pond 2, expect predation on tilapia and larger growth potential, stock 10-15lbs per acre

Pond 3, expect an uphill battle to control FA with predators present, stock 30-50lbs per acre

Pond 4, stock 5-10lbs per acre

According to Dr. Joe Lock, a veteran Texas fisheries biologist who has extensive experience with tilapia around the world, Mozambiques are a better choice for forage production than nile and blue tilapia, due to the fact that they mature at a younger age and spawn more often. Will this trait have a profound effect on reproductive performance in northern ponds as well during a given growing season?

IMO, mozambiques may still be the best choice in northern ponds for forage production and algae control, but if you are looking to maximize size potential and life span, then the nile or blues are the better choice.

You also have to consider costs. Do the math.

It's ALL about the fish!
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: UltralightManiac
Rainman referred me to Overton's and I've been happy with the tilapia I got from them. Pond is clear of FA and there are schools of small tilapia swimming all over the place right now.

I stocked 30# in a 2.5 acre pond for $240 +gas and they have done wonders. And they are a lot easier to work with than chemicals.

Last weekend while hand feeding the channel cat I saw one tilapia come up and eat a couple of pellets that looked like it had about quadrupled in size from when I stocked them in late May. They were all in about the 5" to 7" range then.

Stumbled across the place I think is their North Texas affiliate just West of Gainesville a couple of weeks ago. Sure am glad to know about them because that cuts about 6 hours of driving time off the trip to Buffalo, TX from Ardmore, OK.

Thanks Rainman for this referral, we appreciate it very much. I don't want to come across as trying to jump in here and cost you a sale or anything like that.

FYI, this location just West of Gainesville is NOT our affiliate, our representative is located near Bowie, TX. His name is Walter, and he can deliver tilapia to North Tx and Oklahoma.

Last edited by overtonfisheries; 09/18/10 12:07 PM.

It's ALL about the fish!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails