Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts558,000
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fishingadventure, Sunil, Cliff76169, jmartin, JasonInOhio, FishinRod, Deancutler, JoshMI, Joe7328), 1,433 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ya know, I hadn't thought about Pearl beer in years. I used to like it. Maybe I oughta try it again.

My earliest ventures involved Grand Prize beer at 3 quarts for a dollar. That would have been about 1960 and I got a lot of knuckle bumps on my head while on that stuff. It was so bad that we had to hold our nose while drinking it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

I was closer to Michigan when it was 18 in Michigan. I didn't go to drink though. I went to meet girls. blush

Drunk girls, always easier to meet eh Cecil??

My grandfather drank Rolling Rock, I still drink it on occasion, I'm no expert on what pee tastes like, though I don't disagree others know more than I do, it was a better beer when it was brewed in Latrobe. Anyone know what the "33" onthe bottles stands for??

Sunil, ten miles??? I have spent several nights at the Keystone State Park campgrounds, I used to eat dinner at the Oasis and the Roadhouse, you must know where those are as well then???

I either fish or I drink beer, I'm very good at both and usually get to my limit while doing either one. I homebrew and make hard cider and various fruit wines depending on the season too. I am glad we all have different tastes, world would be a boring place otherwise.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Joe, I know where both are and essentially pass both going between my pond and my house. I've had the wings at the Oasis...real nice. I have fished Keystone Park many times, but not for about 15 years.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Ken, I place no credibility in the opinion of anyone who eats things that can't even be pronounced and I suspect are temporarily buried to ripen.

Sheesh! I get no respect anywhere! If you were within a mile of my backyard right now, you'd be salivating. There's about 10 lbs. of venison pastrami in the smoker. My granddaughter and I started "dry curing" it last Saturday in spices, black pepper, Mortons Tenderquick, and lots of garlic. This morning, we pressure cooked it in fresh water before putting it on the smoker with apple tree wood. We heavily covered/rolled it in freshly cracked black pepper. It should be done in about an hour from now.

We found a possum skull while my grand daughter and I were out walking the property lines earlier. We brought it back so she could take it to school next week. Before we put it in bleach to whiten it and get the maggots out, it sure looked like it started to form a smile when it smelled the pastrami.

Good eatin'/sippin'
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I gotsta get me some of that pastrami.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I gotsta get me some of that pastrami.

Sunil -- shaved thin and served on a hard rye cracker, and accompanied with a very cold bottle of Yuengling Black and Tan, it is indescribable.

Somehow, I'll make sure you get some this year.

I gotta go get some more!

Good droolin',
Ken

Here is half the batch, about 30 minutes out of the smoker:

P.S. Until I posted this, I didn't realize that even the tree in the background was smiling over the pleasant wafting of spices and garlic.

Last edited by catmandoo; 09/11/10 05:46 PM. Reason: P.S.-- Tree

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
In the slightly modified words of Homer Simpson:

"Mmmm...Deer pastrami and beer!"

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Looks like the cows got out of the pasture.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I would tear into the Cow Pie just left of the one sliced!

Looks Good!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Dang, I got on a fishing trip this weekend and come to find this thread grew legs and RAN! Interesting stuff...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
So, did you tip any back? grin

Ken, I can't remember. Did I drop off a venison ham when I was there?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Sunil the Pizza at the Roadhouse was my favorite, never had pizza taste so good ordered at a bar, I don't know how they do it, but I ate there many times. Our training site is right near Watts Mack off of Rt 22.

Catmandoo how do I get that venison recipe????????????????? I have lots of apple wood and deer season starts in 3 weeks...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
So, did you tip any back? grin

Ken, I can't remember. Did I drop off a venison ham when I was there?

Yes. smile

No. But, I have polished off one package of snacks. Absolutely delicious. We've got an upcoming party, where I plan to serve the jerky and the other bag of snacks, along with my pastrami, jerky, and fried fish.

Originally Posted By: JoeG
Catmandoo how do I get that venison recipe????????????????? I have lots of apple wood and deer season starts in 3 weeks...

PM Sent.

Looks like the cows got out of the pasture.

Geeze! I really don't get no respect. I ain't no city boy! I know venison-on-the-hoof, from a cow pie, from some bull . . .

What you see ain't from no cow! No bull, either. Those came directly from parts closest to the loader bucket in this picture:

We've got a party scheduled. And the 2010/2011 season is almost here! It is time to clean out the freezer.

Good smokn'
Ken

P.S. to DD: Even with the vicious personal attacks on my personal integrity and tastes, you are welcome to join us for a big party -- to include your discredited pastrami -- Sunday after next. But -- your darn Texas dancing worms escaped into my tomato and cucumber patches. If you come for the party, you've got to get those silly things out! My grand daughter thinks they are great. They aren't worth a darn for fishing -- they are actually kind of spooky!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I'm pretty much like the majority - never really thought about adding beer to the fishing experience. However, my brother ejoys a few brews, and when he comes too my place, he likes to build a fire, set some lines out at night, and down a few cold ones while waiting for a fish to bite. I've had no problem in joining him in this endeavor.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ken, wish I could make it. I have never had real pastrami; just that stuff from the grocery store that is blister packed. I bet it's good. I watched some guys making it on the cooking channel but don't figure I will try to make it. I bet somebody around here makes the real stuff.

My Dad spent some time around New York City during WW2(the big one). He always talked about hot pastrami sandwiches and pizza pie. He said it was best washed down with dago red. I had my first pizza at age 18. I soon found out what happens to the roof of a mouth when you bite down on some hot cheese. Yeah, I had been drinking beer.

While I was in Seattle for the summer, my jumping worms just about died out from the heat. However, the W VA immigrants did real well. I'm starting to feed and cover the top of the bed with grass clippings so they seem to be coming back. Right now they're pretty runty but fattening up and growing.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken, wish I could make it. I have never had real pastrami; just that stuff from the grocery store that is blister packed.

My Dad spent some time around New York City during WW2(the big one). He always talked about hot pastrami sandwiches and pizza pie. He said it was best washed down with dago red. I had my first pizza at age 18. I soon found out what happens to the roof of a mouth when you bite down on some hot cheese. Yeah, I had been drinking beer.

While I was in Seattle for the summer, my jumping worms just about died out from the heat. However, the W VA immigrants did real well. I'm starting to feed and cover the top of the bed with grass clippings so they seem to be coming back. Right now they're pretty runty but fattening up and growing.

Dave -- and Sunil,

Not having real pastrami !!!!????

This is just about unbelievable. In the US, there are a few places that consider themselves the "capitol of pastrami."

After New York City, I would have to grade New Braunfels (for non-Texans, it is New Braufulls") as #2. There are too many others for me to mention, who consider them next in line.

I'll make sure I have some venison pastrami at our next conference. Maybe I can even find some "dago red." I think we will try to make it Sunil's responsibility to drag it in.

As for pizza burns and "blister packs" -- I worked for a wonderful Italian family while in high school and early college. When we were college freshmen, one of my cousins, and some friends, came in for a pizza after a football game.

My cousin asked for lots of extra cheese on the pizza. In recent years, it would have been a major lawsuit. But in those days, he just went to the emergency room, where other relatives treated him.

The family I worked for made nearly all the pizza ingredients, except for the anchovies, mushrooms, and olives. We made our own sauce, mozzarella, dough, pepperoni, sausage, Parmesan, etc. No two batches were exactly the same.

To finish the story, my cousin's pizza had about three layers of mozzarella. He didn't let it cool before taking a bite of the first piece. The first bite brought a big avalanche of hot greasy cheese down his chin and throat. Monday morning, in class -- my cousin was "blister packed"

His dad was our town's major insurance agent. Nobody sued anybody, unless it was really serious.

To this day, only a few of us know why cousin Wally's chin is scared and red.

Cousin Wally and I downed more than a few brews as we caught family fish dinners.

Ken

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Ken, can you send that pastrami recipe to me as well?

I still have that 60# of deer meat in the freezer from that Budweiser sweepstakes hunt. I figure Bud paid $184/lb for it and I ought to do somthing with it! grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dang it, I've been in both cities and never thought about ordering pastrami.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I get real pastrami all the time!

The Guv probably does also, but just thinks its garlic bologna.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Rainman that is costly venison, you need to buy another smoker if you have that much stored up so you can increse your volume, send the excess to Sunil. I'm completely out of venison except for canned meat, which keeps for a few years longer than frozen stuff. Makes a great Faux-beef-n-noodles dish on busy nights when dinner prep time is limited. I had 13 doe in my food plot the other night, first baldy to walk past me is going to have lung trouble on opening day.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
JoeG, I just sold one smoker about 2 weeks ago and bought a closeout gas grill with the funds....I was buying up to 20 pounds of Kingsford a week for grilling/smoking. We hardly ever use the oven or stove inside. The wife won't eat Bambi and I'm down to only one rug rat at home now. I can only eat so much deer sausage....lol

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pssttt.... Don't tell her it's Bambi!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I saw this and thought it might be appropriate for this thread.

Too Drunk to Fish.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/28/24 09:32 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner