Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,093
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371), 710 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: JKB
There is a surplus place near the Indiana/Michigan border.

JKB:

Where is the place at? I occasionally need stuff like that for projects and it would sure beat buying new stuff. Is it the place that's South of Constantine on 131?

Ditto.

The one I was thinking of was farther east just east of 1-69 south of Angola.

The place is Johnson Surplus.

It is on 12, just west of 131 in White Pigeon.

So that must be the place esshup was thinking of.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Anyone have any experience with this small bio-wheel filter?, I've been thinking about getting one for my 40 gal. tank that the PS fry will be transferred into.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/emperorpower.html

I had a 330 on my aquarium, and it worked really well. I kept several hundred various bait fish in it at the time without any problems. That is of course after it was cycled.

Thanks for the info, I'd like to get one soon so the tank will be ready when I need it. Their in a 10 gal. tank now and that's good for awhile.

I am going to get a couple for my 75 gallon tanks. I will have to do a bit of surgery on the tanks as the rim is 1.25" wide. I believe these will just fit over a 1/2" rim. Then, sandblast the inside and paint with a dark, non reflective epoxy. I may have to diffuse the out flow a bit to adjust currents, but that is easy enough to do.

I also have two 125 gallon aluminum tanks that are 10 ft long. I am going to segment these with removable slide gates for breeder tanks. I think I can retrofit one of their sump models or just use the wheel assemblies and rig up the rest.

I could just kick myself right now for getting rid of my 150 gallon and 700 gallon tanks.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I just bid on a Shopsmith bandsaw attachment on Ebay to attach to the wife's Mark V Shopsmith. There's only two bids including mine, and there is less than an hour left. If I get it it will be a fifth of the price of a brand new one and shipping isn't too bad.

Anyway I think I will probably build another RBC, and sure as heck won't do it this time without a band saw to cut the fiberglass plates! One cool feature of the Shopsmith bandsaw is an attachment that will allow me to cut perfect circles up to 36 inches in diameter. That will sure the heck beat wearing out a half a dozen sabre saw blades and vibrating the heck out of my hands!

With the drill press attachment the wife has already, I may be able to build these commercially if there is a demand! The whole thing including the frame could easily be shipped disassembled, although the 50 fiberglass plates aren't light. One thought would be to downsize the filter for growing out less than 100 lbs. of tilapia over the winter which would also make it more affordable.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/15/10 09:57 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, you better have extra band saw blades. Fiberglass eats them up just like jig saw blades. Once used on fiberglass, you won't want to use them on wood.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Fiberglass is a bit abrasive. Carbide Grit blades would probably be the best. I always used Starrett or Morse bimetal blades. They hold up the best for me due to the varied materials we cut.

Cecil,
You could also get the roof panels in PVC. They are on sale right now at Menards for 10 bucks each for a 2ft x 8ft panel. That would cut the cost well in half from the fiberglass.

I would change the design a bit and put thin a flat panel between each roof panel to increase surface area. You really only need about a 3/8" gap and the roof panels easily provide that.

I think it would be a good idea to see if you could peddle a few.

Last edited by JKB; 08/16/10 05:18 AM. Reason: added stuff
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Anyone have any experience with this small bio-wheel filter?, I've been thinking about getting one for my 40 gal. tank that the PS fry will be transferred into.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/emperorpower.html

I think it may be made by Marineland along with this one as well from the same site:

http://www.aquariumguys.com/penguin350b.html

Maybe someone can recommend one over the other as they seem to be very similar but one has a better warranty and a little less money.

Thanks
Thanks

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Here's the best price I've found on the 400 model.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl...l400powerfilter

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil, you better have extra band saw blades. Fiberglass eats them up just like jig saw blades. Once used on fiberglass, you won't want to use them on wood.....

That doesn't surprise me. It will still be better than using a sabre saw. I'll get some extra blades if I go with the fiberglass!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Fiberglass is a bit abrasive. Carbide Grit blades would probably be the best. I always used Starrett or Morse bimetal blades. They hold up the best for me due to the varied materials we cut.

Cecil,
You could also get the roof panels in PVC. They are on sale right now at Menards for 10 bucks each for a 2ft x 8ft panel. That would cut the cost well in half from the fiberglass.

I'll have to check that out. I can't imagine why the PVC wouldn't work. I assume it's corrugated?

I would change the design a bit and put thin a flat panel between each roof panel to increase surface area. You really only need about a 3/8" gap and the roof panels easily provide that.

I already do that. That's what the sheets of polystyrene plastic are for. They are light weight and cheap too. By adding the thin sheets vs. just the panels one goes from 300 square feet to 600 square feet.

I think it would be a good idea to see if you could peddle a few.

I may in the least bring one to the next Pond Boss convention silent auction to raise some money for the SDSU scholarship fun.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/16/10 09:14 AM.

S
OP Offline
S
My book finally came two days ago and I been getting a chance to find out all the things I been doing wrong.

Also my pool is leaking and I've spent way more on water than I ever saved.

I was looking for the best pool for the money and this is the one I came up with. It's 4 inches shallower than ideal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZVOXE6/ref=pd_luc_mri?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Is 32 inches going to be deep enough? I will probably only be able to fill it 24 without the fish jumping out. At 120 dollars including shipping this seems like the best pool for the money to raise fish in.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: surfsteve

Is 32 inches going to be deep enough? I will probably only be able to fill it 24 without the fish jumping out. At 120 dollars including shipping this seems like the best pool for the money to raise fish in.

I think that is deep enough. My stock tanks are only 23 inches deep with the water coming up to the 19 1/4 inch mark.

If I had a fish species that I was afraid of jumping out, the deer netting could probably be stretched over the tank easily and fastened around the tank with a few bungee cords.

Somewhere in the AES catalog they cut short pieces of PVC pipe and and cut a slot into that piece. It acts as a spring loaded piece that fits over the net and the edge of the tank.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/16/10 04:23 PM.

S
OP Offline
S
I've seen them make clamps out of PVC by cutting a slit in a short piece of pipe. They almost look like clothespins.

This morning I saw two fish swimming around in circles for a few seconds as if they were maybe interested in mating. I was thinking about throwing in some flower pots or something for them to nest in and hoping for the best. I also got 5 clarifiers running on the pool and one on the goldfish.

I am wondering if I build the domes over the pools like in the book if I will be able to squeak by and have fish outside all year long.
I just looked up our weather
http://www.desertusa.com/Cities/ca/trona.html
and compared it with the weather in the book
http://cityinfo.local.com/city-information/Kutztown-PA-weather
and we are a good deal warmer than Krutztown and the book was claiming a 9 month growing season with the domes. I'm thinking that if I do a good job on the domes I might be able to squeak by while keeping my fish out doors year around. I'll probably take some inside this winter just to be safe and see what happens with the rest.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I would think you would have a great shot of raising fish year round with domes. Not only are your days alot warmer but you have much more sunshine than PA. to carry you thru cool nights.

S
OP Offline
S
I sure hope so. Our clear skies might make it colder at night is my only other concern. It's worth a try. Thanks for the encouraging news. This is all turning out much better than I thought.

Also I just ordered one of those $120 pools. Tried to find a smaller pump but I got another 300 watt 3000 GPH pump. This time used for 40 bucks including shipping. The only other decent pump I could find was a 38 watt 350 gph pump for 28 dollars. I may try to order two of those to run the 12 foot pool but I thought I'd start out with too much pump and use the bypass for aeration till it gets cold and the fish slow down. Then switch to a smaller pumping system.

Last edited by surfsteve; 08/16/10 06:50 PM.
S
OP Offline
S

Here is a good website for small water pumps at really good prices.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4587+8164&pcatid=8164

S
OP Offline
S
Here is my first youtube video of me feeding my fish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhsijMTNXfc

I also found airstones for 33 cents each on amazon.com. The price for shipping 100 stones is only 6.49. I think that I can make a ring out of that black drip irrigation tubing and use the drip tool to make a hole and push them right in. At that price I can just plug new ones in the ring as the old ones clog up.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AQHCS/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A33WNC5RWNU3Z1

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I do not know if this is appropriate to post, but a Fish Hatchery in Lima, OH is selling live fish and the PVC Ribbon Bio-Fill Material on ebay for really low prices. The PVC Ribbon would give one an SSA of about 1800 square feet in a 55 gallon drum. And, this stuff works pretty well in water applications >65F. The water needs to supply the O2 as with any submerged bio-filter, and as with any bio-filter, one needs a decent solids filter in front.

Search "Aquaculture".

This stuff will work much better than deer netting, and seriously cut your electric costs.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JKB,

Are the live fish that are being sold in Lima, tilapia? I'm not in the market for tilapia right now but curious as to who this is. Can you provide a more specific link?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
JKB,

Are the live fish that are being sold in Lima, tilapia? I'm not in the market for tilapia right now but curious as to who this is. Can you provide a more specific link?

They have various species including Tilapia
http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-Blue-Tilapia-fi...#ht_1927wt_1137

But I did not see Tilapia on their website

http://www.sugarcreekfishery.com/

Darn internet croaked yesterday when I tried to edit and add info. I wish they would get this thing fixed mad

Last edited by JKB; 08/20/10 04:53 AM.
S
OP Offline
S
I do not know if this is appropriate to post, but a Fish Hatchery in Lima, OH is selling live fish and the PVC Ribbon Bio-Fill Material on ebay for really low prices. The PVC Ribbon would give one an SSA of about 1800 square feet in a 55 gallon drum. And, this stuff works pretty well in water applications >65F. The water needs to supply the O2 as with any submerged bio-filter, and as with any bio-filter, one needs a decent solids filter in front.

Search "Aquaculture".

This stuff will work much better than deer netting, and seriously cut your electric costs.

I was all set to order when I found out it was only 8 dollars a cubic foot but then they wanted 80 bucks shipping on 5 cu ft... Oh well it was a thought. If I could find it for 10 or 15 a cubic foot shipped to my door, I would try it.

I been thinking of adding additional deer nets to my filters too. I don't think that's going to double the filtering capacity if I double the netting. But it's got to help some.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Hey Steve,
Ya need to play the auction to get a good deal. The one I saw for 5 ft3 came to 12.00/ft3 including shipping. That auction ended.

If you bid 5.00 on the 2 ft3 auction and win (which you probably will) shipping is only 13.90. So that comes to 9.45 per ft3 delivered. Then you wait till they list more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-CUFT-PVC-RIBBON-BI...0#ht_730wt_1137

Aquatic Eco Systems sells it for 49.00/ft3.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/2637/Bio-Fill

You can also make it yourself if you have access to a lathe, although it sure is a PITA.

Last edited by JKB; 08/20/10 04:16 AM. Reason: added stuff
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JKB,

They have various species including Tilapia
http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-Blue-Tilapia-fi...#ht_1927wt_1137

But I did not see Tilapia on their website

http://www.sugarcreekfishery.com/

Darn internet croaked yesterday when I tried to edit and add info. I wish they would get this thing fixed mad

One of our members ships blue tilapia also. I know Rainman (Rex) sells blue tilapia and delivers but not sure if he ships?

Pure Blue Tilapia Fry and Fingerlings For Sale in the US

Pure Line Blue Tilapia
(Oreochromis Aureus)
Fry and Small Fingerlings Available

FREE sample of Premium Fish Food Co. Tilapia PowerStart Fry Powder or Crumble to get you started

http://tilapiasource.com/zc/images/btilapia.jpg
This is a picture of one of our young female Blue Tilapia with her offspring

A Few Words about our Blue Tilapia
Our Blue Tilapia are a 100% pure line. We use no hormones and no dangerous chemicals. Our fish are free from any kind of genetic modification. They are known for fast growth and fantastic cold water tolerance (down to 45 degrees). Our various Tilapia lines are used by a host of educational institutions throughout the US, and we supply fish to many commercial operations as well. They are high quality fish, and we believe them to be some of the best Blues available in the US. We are big enough to handle larger volume orders, but we primarily cater to backyard operations, home aquaponics growers, pond owners and farmers market growers. You should expect to get a roughly 50/50 mix of males and females in every shipment. We also include a free sample of Premium Fish Food Co. Tilapia food that is appropriately sized for your fish. More info on PFC Tilapia Foods can be found at www.premiumfishfood.com.

Shipping Information and Live Arrival Guarantee
We guarantee live arrival of your fish. White Brook Tilapia Farm (tilapiasource.com) takes great care to ensure you receive healthy fish. We carefully pack our fish in a special double insulated shipping container with just the right amount of conditioned/ammonia stabilized water and pure oxygen and ship them to you via UPS Overnight shipping. During the winter months, when temperatures are on the low side, we also place a special heat pack in the container just to make sure your fish travel as safely and comfortably as possible.

We add some extra fish to take care of that extremely rare occasion when a few of them don't make the trip alive. Usually this just means you get a few extra free fish as we rarely experience mortalities in transit.

We will replace fish or provide a refund for any shortages due to mortalities.

Questions? Feel free to contact us!
info@tilapiasource.com

He also sells Nile Tilapia in the fall.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yes, Rex also ships the Blues. He used to have an ongoing auction on e-bay, but I'll bet he let it lapse while he was in the hospital.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Yes, Rex also ships the Blues. He used to have an ongoing auction on e-bay, but I'll bet he let it lapse while he was in the hospital.

I saw Rex's ebay add this morning, It's still up.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I saw it too. I didn't see it earlier in the week tho.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass