Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK
18,516 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,991
Posts558,271
Members18,517
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,575
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
1 members (BarkyDoos), 625 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Love the wood, nice stain, blah, blah,

.... enough small talk, tell me about the car. laugh

(Actually I love the building thread but put a vintage car in front of me and I lose perspective of most everything else).

1965 olds cutlass, 2002 fuel injected ls1 4l60e 4 speed auto, 23+ mpg, top speed way faster than I will ever see,complete pro-touring suspension. All I can say Jeff is it handles like a new Corvette now. Only problem is the original seats are hard to stay in around those 1G turns. I forgot and went around a corner the other day with my 89 year old Mother-inlaw in the passenger seat. See ended up in the floor board between the buckets. My boss in the back seat was none to happy with me even if it did put a smile on her mothers face.

Last edited by rockytopper; 11/30/10 12:55 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
LOL, great story Rocky. Beautiful car and great drive train combo.

For years I had an Olds sleeper. It was a 72 Olds Cutlass convertible that was factored ordered with a 455, Hurst dual gate shifter controlling a TH400, posi, dual exhaust, 4bbl carb (basically the engine and drive train of a 442 but the car was not a 442 just a Cutlass). It was also factory ordered in Ebony Black with a Madrid White interior (not a standard color on the cutlass line in 72).

It was a blast to drive (I could roast the tires at will) but got horrible gas mileage (9 mpg and no that's not a typo).

I love your approach to the car though, modern engine and drive trains are the way to go IMHO.

Your car is a beauty Rocky, love the color and the wheels!

This photo was take at the "Route 66 Rendezvous." My car was chosen as one of 20 (out of over 2,000 cars) to be a VIP cruise car. That's me driving, JWHAP as co-pilot, and Scott Pruett as the VIP.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I still can't believe you let the nomad get away.

We are planning a trip in the hot rod to Hot august nights (South Lake Tahoe) then on to the redwood forest(does the highway still go thru the middle of a tree? my earliest child hood memory)then up highway 101 and turn right to Yellowstone.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Rocky, I can't believe that I sold the Nomad either!

Funny you should ask about the tree...

Unless something has changed in the past 6 or 7 years, you can still drive through the redwood tree. In fact I bought the Nomad in Washington state. JWHAP and I drove it 1,600 miles home and we went right through the redwood tree (actually it is in a park of some sorts).

Driving the Nomad through the tree caused quite a stir, with folks demanding that I drive very slowly so they could film it.

Ricki always wanted to drive through the tree so I drove through it twice, once with her outside to take a photo and once with her in the car so that she could experience the drive through.

Oh and you really know how to hurt a guy with that video. laugh

I've heard Hot August Nights is supposed to be very fun but also very crowded. You will have a blast though! I haven't gone to that event personally but I know quite a few people that have.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
WOW!!!!! PM SENT

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Ok sorry I hijacked my on tread. Back to the pond techno stuff Jeff really wants to see.

We have been some what successfull with grass on the new spillway but we have had zero rain to speak of. I used a landscapers mix has rye and fescue. I'm hoping to get a good soaker before we get another Bird floater. It rained almost 13 inches just after we finished the dirt work and has only sprinkled sense. Our pond at the house has already dropped to the level it was when we increased it by cutting out the front section of the dam. We cored the dam of the front pond above and it is holding water much better than before but still managed a path threw the dam. Over all we were at least 98% successfull. I'm very happy considering the soil conditions we encounntered.

spillway

still lots of grass seed on the ground.

The Rocks swimming hole

view from the back porch pond has dropped about 24 inches but still has a nice appearance sense we increased i's size and depth in areas.

My running buddy he's running this project.

Same view of the new dam section with water this time

The wet spot

The cut in the lower pond exposed again

Last edited by rockytopper; 12/11/10 12:30 PM.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: rockytopper
Ok sorry I hijacked my on tread. Back to the pond techno stuff Jeff really wants to see.

laugh laugh laugh

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Pretty neat Rocky. Like you, I haven't seen rain since the first of September. La Nina is pretty tough on pond owners.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
We are down about three feet - need rain bad!

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I think it may be time for a regional pondboss meeting at our favorite Tex Mex spot.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
PM sent ...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ok with me. Just say when.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
George is tied up this week how about next Tuesday. Have you guys seen Fatty lately?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tuesday sounds good to me.

I'll PM Fatty.

Anyone else around the metromess want in?

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Ok a quick update. The fish have gotten so big in my pond I had to take drastic measures on my fishing gear. More to come......

Last edited by rockytopper; 12/27/10 07:00 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
zip line?

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Brettski
zip line?

Sorta I will reveal when I complete latter this week.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Here is the progress on the new house we have completely pre stained all the siding and exterior trim.

We will be pre building all of the headers for the wood structure next.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
wow, now there's a load of dough
Who did the staining...you? brush or gun?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
RT I hope you had a warm place to work with that much wood and stain.

On your heavy duty fishing pole above - not much action in that rod tip.

Last edited by ewest; 12/28/10 10:48 AM.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Brettski
wow, now there's a load of dough
Who did the staining...you? brush or gun?

Well it wasn't me. 2 things I hate. painting and concrete work.

I have hire my nephew to do the dirty work that I don't get much enjoyment out of. I am teaching him the fine art of being a framing carpenter as we speak. I am a few cuts ahead and he is nailing and gluing headers.

I gave him a sprayer but he chose a brush. Took more labor but less stain.

Yes we are staying warm in the shop and looking at what you guys are going thru up north east I can't complain about 43 degrees and drizzle...

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
First off Happy New Year to all.

It was a very busy and productive week to end the year.

The giant fishing pole is actually the ancor to our new shade sails we erected to control heat build up and fading issues. I am some what disapointed with the final look because this material is designed to be stretched tight in all directions. It did not turn out like the drawing board. We had limited time with the lift I rented so we had to rush the installation. It does do the job it was designed to do so hopefully I can figure out how to revise it to improve the appearance. We also did some repairs to our eve soffet which had come lose in spots and dropped down after 13 years of weathering.

We turned two pickup loads of 2x12 and 1/2 B/C ply into headers. A lot of screwing and gluing. We pre built all the headers and beams for the new house except the 50 footer that runs across the back porch.

Lastly we stained the concrete floors for the new structure. I am very pleased with how it turned out so far. We are going to clean the stain residue off the slab latter today and hopefully get it sealed tommorrow.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
RT:

Have you used stain on high traffic areas before? I prefer to get the concrete colored as it's delivered, it seems to last longer, fades more evenly and any chipped areas don't show. Yeah, it costs a bit more but in the end it's not that much more $$ for the results.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well RockyT, that is indeed an extreme project to battle solar problems. I hate to see it happen to such a unique and beautiful home design, but something tells me to hang tight and wait to see what that architecturally overactive mind of yours will come up with next. I mean that in a good way.
Is the sail cloth going to be something that goes up and down based on seasons?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
BirdD@wg, BWillis, Mike Troyer
Recent Posts
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by BarkyDoos - 05/05/24 11:33 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/05/24 11:23 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/05/24 09:39 PM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?