Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
7 members (Sunil, Justin W, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 757 guests, and 208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I was waiting for a response from the other end of the planet........took you long enough.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Fantastic Nate. I knew you'd find a way to exercise those lures to the fullest extent.

Have you ever thought about all the free help you could get if you allowed Pond Boss members to spend a week of their vacation assisting you in your daily life?

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Nate. A lot of HSB. That minnow has caught some serious fish on its journey.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Updates???

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Just putting the finishing touches on our rather unproductive story. One more attempt on the pond this afternoon, and then sending them off to James. The cold front that hit when I got back from vacation was wonderful, but bad for the fishing. Time to go and hit it. pictures and story this evening.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
All right,

Here is our adventure.

The lures arrived when we were on vacation. We got back, excitedly opened the package and headed to the ponds. I have three different ponds that we fish: my new pond with one-year-old LMB, BG and YP; my neighbor's pond with some nice sized LMB and BG; and our neighborhood pond with a mix of everything, including NP.

I hit my pond and worked it for an hour and drew a goose egg! Many of my small BG hit, but did not or could not suck the hooks in.

That night, the cold front came through. I recruited my two daughters and we headed to the neighborhood ponds with much anticipation. Darby, my youngest, chose a lure that matched her shirt.

I chose the spoon.

my oldest (pictured later) chose the little crayfish Rebel.

We hit the pond, which is loaded with BG, LMB and Crappie and, after an hour, had nothing. The fish were on lock down. I did lose two small bass on the Spoon. We were getting ready to go when my youngest complained that her minnow was stuck in the FA. My first concern was that we were going to loose a lure (egad!). I went to help her and noticed that the Algae pile was moving. Fish on!!

We quickly landed the beast, and took a picture.

The Blue minnow had come through!

AT this point, I did not have a very good story, and it was getting time to send the package to James.

Kerrigan said she wanted to try one more time, so the next morning we head to my next door neighbor's pond. I was determined to catch something with the spoon, and Kerrigan switched to the in-line spinner.

We hit the pond and I caught a bass on the third cast.

Kerrigan decided she wanted to try the spoon, and caught one on the next cast.

I switched to the jointed Rapala and Kerrigan stuck to the spoon. We spent the next hour catching about 10 bass and 5 BG.

It was time to ship, so we wrapped up our fishing adventure and put the box in the mail. We did not catch anything on the in-line spinner, the Road Runner or the crayfish. I didn't try the jig head. I was very pleasantly surprised how well the spoon did (plus I could throw it a country mile on my light tackle).

I can't wait for the next story.

Brian
Retired Coach

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CoachB
Just putting the finishing touches on our rather unproductive story.

I sure wouldn't put this in the unproductive category. I've been sport/food fishing for nearly sixty years. Like the rest of life, some days are better than others. Optimism must reign supreme. Friends make life wonderful.

In today's world, I would hope that learning and fun trump the curmudgeon's world of unhappiness and despair.

I strongly believe that the "Traveling Lures" resulted in an immense amount of camaraderie and friendship. It certainly did for my bride and me. We had interactions with some wonderful people because of it.

We need more projects like this that can bring people of disparate backgrounds together for a common purpose -- even if it isn't about fishing.

Ken

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
what cat said.

Looks pretty productive to me. Smiles all around. Nice job folks.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes and just think how many ponds and fish that jointed Rap minnow has seen. What a trip its had !!

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
True, true. The time with my daughters trying to catch a fish that first night are precious memories that that far outweigh the lack of fish. As my oldest always says, "that is why they call it fishing, not catching!"

I truly meant unproductive from a photo's standpoint. smile

Brian
Retired Coach

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
nice story coachb, appreciate yer humility, very productive story and +2 to catmandoo.

eric, that brown trout jointed rap has significance (for me) much beyond the traveling lures. it was not that lure exactly, but an identical one that was responsible for the greatest evening of fishing in my entire life, and the evening that my late brother and i reconnected as friends. i collected several more of these brown trout lures after that trip, one donated to this wonderful story. the original one i laid to rest w/ my brother.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
First off great story and photos Coach, I love it.

Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I strongly believe that the "Traveling Lures" resulted in an immense amount of camaraderie and friendship. It certainly did for my bride and me. We had interactions with some wonderful people because of it. We need more projects like this that can bring people of disparate backgrounds together for a common purpose -- even if it isn't about fishing.

Originally Posted By: burgermeister
what cat said.

Originally Posted By: ewest
Yes and just think how many ponds and fish that jointed Rap minnow has seen. What a trip its had !!

Originally Posted By: CoachB
True, true. The time with my daughters trying to catch a fish that first night are precious memories that that far outweigh the lack of fish.

Wow guys thank you all for this input. To be honest I thought we had come to a point where people didn't particularily care about the Traveling Lures anymore and had become somewhat dishearted about the entire event.

This thread went quiet a while without any updates and I thought that perhaps the event had been a mistake. JWHAP and I spent quite a bit of time researching the presentation box and deciding what lures would go in it and thankfully Todd jumped in and has done all of the calendar work and schedule coordination.

It's good to hear that people have enjoyed the event as much as I have in reading about it. I had already planned an event for next year but had decided to scrap it because I didn't think people were particularily interested - - perhaps now I will begin the planning stages of next year's event. Thanks for the feedback, I truly appreciate it.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
JHAP - I appreciate both yours and Todd's work to keep this rolling and would like to request this event continue. I wish we had other events to get us together just like this.

In fact, I'd like to register for another slot if there is one for September. Things are slowing down for me and should provide more ample time to give this project the attention it deserves.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't know what the next event could be, but it would be great if we could figure out if there was a way that it could be like the Olympic torch relay. I don't know if we could get 11 vestal virgins to start it off, but . . .

Maybe it starts at the next conference. People from four or five parts of the country start off with something or some idea, whatever it might be. The final outcome is completed at the following conference. It could be just for fun, or it could even be to raise money for something worthwhile, like a scholarship.

It could be something as simple as progressive dinners. I figure I'm within a two hour drive of at least six fairly active forum members, scattered in four states. If we just started in Illinois or Indiana and headed due east to the Atlantic, we've got Brettski, Nate, ESSHUP, Cecil, Cody, Theo, Sunil, Todd, me, Victor, CJBS -- and all of us are surrounded by other active members.

And, I'm sure I'm not the only crazy one who travels a lot. As of next Tuesday, I get transferred to a new boss in Sacramento, CA, even though my operation will remain in Northern VA. I could easily stop by and see DIED on one of my many anticipated trips. I get to a lot of other places too.

So, just a thought . . .

Lunker
Lunker
I like Ken's idea of get togethers - in NE we have Omaha, Bruce Condello, Shorty, and Bullhead that are active forum members. I think we have some KS and IA guys who also could make the trek this way or vice versa.

Didn't PB used to have informal "mini conferences" in different parts of the country? I would be in favor of one of those - maybe get Bob to travel to these - perhaps one per quarter?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I'd like to contribute if you get the lures again TJ! grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Speaking of traveling, I was at the tire store the other day and since 9-22-09 I've racked up slightly more than 30K on the car.

There are a few PB members around here.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: esshup
Speaking of traveling, I was at the tire store the other day and since 9-22-09 I've racked up slightly more than 30K on the car.

There are a few PB members around here.....

Is that all? grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
. . . perhaps now I will begin the planning stages of next year's event. Thanks for the feedback, I truly appreciate it.

One of my all-time favorite movies was "Never Cry Wolf." My favorite line from the movie was "Good Idea." I think it fits very well here and now, even if we aren't eating mice in the name of research.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman

Is that all? grin

Yep. Remember this isn't a business vehicle. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
TJ, go ahead and sign up again. I don't see any problems with folks having multiple time slots. Remember this isn't a contest it's all about having fun. As soon as I know my October schedule I'm going to sign up (I haven't seen the lures since I first mailed them out back in April).

The next event that I had planned had nothing to do with get togethers. I'm certainly not opposed to them, in fact I'd love it, but unfortunately we don't have many pond meisters on Pond Boss that are in California. In fact lately the only two active forum members in California are DIED and myself. We have our own get togethers every time we can (ususally ever time I'm up north).

Also I'm not going to be able to attend the next conference so I wasn't going to kick off anything there.

Perhaps the best idea would be for me to discuss my idea with someone (Ken? TJ?) that will be attending the next conference and have them run with the idea (or any other idea that they see fit).

Also Ken make sure you let us know when you are going to Sacramento, my place is only 45 minutes from DIED's and to the best of my knowledge we are about 1.5 hours from Sacramento. Are you ever down in San Diego anymore, we couldn't get together the one time you were here but most of the time our schedule is free.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
You know me, I love projects that involve the community. I have 9 hrs of windshield time tomorrow as I'm driving to LL2 for a few days. Please call me on my cell I'd love to catch up.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
TJ, do you get emails on your phone?

I ask because, if so, we'll start a PM thread with a hundred or so folks, and that way, we'll be reaching out and touching you everytime someone makes a post.

Grimes loves it.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I hope you get a lot accomplished this week TJ!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
TJ, do you get emails on your phone?

I ask because, if so, we'll start a PM thread with a hundred or so folks, and that way, we'll be reaching out and touching you everytime someone makes a post.

Grimes loves it.

Yes I do get emails on my phone. However, I can't access PB Forum on my blackberry - it's too small a screen and is a total pain. So, email is best over the next few days.

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images