Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,057
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch), 633 guests, and 184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
I have been reading a lot of the posts about aeration and still have lots of questions.

Our pond is 3/4 surface acres with a 14' channel through the majority of the middle with the average depth being 8'.

I have stocked walleye ( 24 ) , YP ( 60 ), LMB ( 20 ) ,Channel cats ( 6 ) , BG ( 36 ) and 18 trout.

Over the past 3 years everything is thriving and growing beyond my immagination. Just this morning I started to notice the trout hanging in the shallows and I know that means trouble. My question is ... is there a way to oxygenate the cooler water near the bottom without destroying the thermocline and loosing the cooler waters below ? It would seem that the DO levels are most likely less than ideal in the cooler waters or the trout would not have came out of them for oxygen. They survived the past 2 years but last summer was more of a prolonged spring/fall than an actual MI summer. I run a 2hp pump continually oxygenating the surface water and to create current to push floating debris to a homemade skimmer but that doesn't seem to be enough.

I realize Trout in MI for any other reason than put and take is a stretch but any insight would be appreciated.

1 other question, Does anyone else find their walleye to be very sensitive to catch and release ? they seem very delicate once their on the hook.

1/2 acre 14' Deep. LMB, WE, YP, HBG, BG, Rainbows.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Some of the users here have had luck running a bottom diffuser hooked to a thermostat so that it keeps the pond cool running when air temperatures are below 70F or so.

Ponds in TX, lake place in WI, me in CA
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: txelen
Some of the users here have had luck running a bottom diffuser hooked to a thermostat so that it keeps the pond cool running when air temperatures are below 70F or so.

I tried that earlier this year and while it probably oxygenated the lower water, it also heated it up by mixing it with the warmer, upper level water. That was with the compressor set to turn on at 70° and below.

I figured out where the thremocline is in the pond yesterday, and my next step is to suspend the diffuser a couple feet above that level. Hopefully I won't see the trout in the shallows like I did when bottom aerating.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
H there
Welcome to PB.
There is customised solutiones hypolimnetic solutiones
http://www.airation.com/id2.html
Wethere you can get something for the zize you need (small) or you have to build your selfe? I don't know.

Last edited by andedammen; 06/25/10 12:03 AM.

PAUL
A
OP Offline
A
First let me start by saying thank you for the welcome mat.

Secondly, I'm a bit of a Macgyver and on a very tight budget so I stole a process from my protien skimmer on the old saltwater aquarium.

I decided to test my theory. I have the 2hp water pump recirculating water from the homemade skimmer to the discharge pvc that is mounted about 6" above water level and in turn aggitates and surface aerates as it returns to the pond.

#1 - I placed the garden hose in the skimmer box and kicked it on to add cooler water at the source of mixing

#2 - I drilled a hole on a slant in a piece of pvc and ran 2' of clear tubing down the pipe with about 6" outside of the sidewall in the pvc, as the discharge water rushes past the tubing it draws air from the opposite end and in turn saturates the discharge water from the pump with aerated water. I angled the pvc under water about 3' off the dock and the water/air mix is pushing out visably around 12-16' from the docks edge 3' underwater.

My question now is ... does this benefit me anymore than the original surface aggitation and would there be added benefit to running the pvc even further down the dropoff below the existing thermocline.

My intent is to simply aerate the cooler water enough to support the trout and walleye and keep them cool and happy through the summer.

Thoughts and experience are very welcome.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Now idea if the set up will woork exiting to see iff anybody else have thoughts on this.
Here is a link pdf on page 13 there are some diferente drawings off differente hypolimnetic aerators
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wat/wq/reference/aerationapd22.pdf
I know the principal woork a friend off mine did service as a engenier soldier with NATO in former Joguslavia they buildt aerators like this in wery shalow (3-5m) bow's to be used as drinking water suplies for small wilages.
So if you have the skils to jump at it it would be great if you document the build.

Can you keep track on temp. and DO ?
And if so read any changes with your set up?

I would consider getting the trout out, or keep close atention to them anyhow.

PAUL
A
OP Offline
A
This was interesting reading and not too far off from what I'm currently doing. The main difference is the depths I have the pickup and discharge lines at.

I left the discharge at 3' and the trout retreated to deeper water by the next morning. I did loose 1 but the others seem active again around the 8-10 foot depths.

I'm not sure if it was the cooler water being added from the well or the aeration but the appearance of the pond was like night and day within 3 days. Today ( 4 days later ) , all of the surface algae that was hanging around shore is completely gone, the bluegills and perch are much more active and I swear I have a male bluegill guarding a bed now ( seems late in the season for that ).

To say the least I'm very pleased with the results I see so far. I will probably try to find more info on the hypo systems and get some tools for record keeping below the thermocline but for now I'm very pleased with what seems to be a less stressful environment for the fish overall.

Thanks for the article and insight.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Paul:

Thanks for finding that. With the hypolimnetic systems shown, A or D seems the easiest to replicate for my pond. One more project to put on the "to do" list to get done before next summer.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Paul,

Thanks for that link! Really interesting stuff. "A" looks as if it could be built relatively cheaply using PVC pipe. The main engineering challenge would be keeping it upright and at the correct distance from the bottom.

Last edited by txelen; 07/09/10 04:14 PM.

Ponds in TX, lake place in WI, me in CA
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm leaning towards "D". It might have more forgiveness in the critical depth. The box on top could possibly be made into a small floating island to hide it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

A
OP Offline
A
It looks like the trout were able to make it through this last mega heat wave of mid 90's and high humidity. The venturi system seems to have helped although probably not ideal. I'm jumping up to the new discussion on Hypolimnetic systems and will be following that for ideas on a less stressful environment.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Looks like a good subject for a future PB magazine article. Thanks for posting AF.

Russ

Last edited by Russ; 07/11/10 02:28 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I vote Scot (Esshup)to set one up next year and do an article on it complete with daily temp and oxygen reading with my YSI 550. Scot is a whiz at building, repairing, and engineering things. How 'bout it Scot?

Hopefully you'll be able to get some trout next year though Scot, with Crystal Springs out of the running. frown Have you heard anything from Nelski?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/11/10 02:44 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

Nope, I haven't heard from John. I probably should give him a call....

Hopefully I'll have some stay alive this year. I didn't get a chance to get the trot line out, nor fish for trout. I haven't seen any morts in about a month.

I'm game!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB