Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
just throwing this out there... spent about 3 hours of cutting and raking weeds from my pond YESTERDAY. TODAY, i've got little bumps that look like mosquito bites or pimples all over my feet and legs. roughly just to my knees and that's how deep i waded... could this have came from something in the pond? i didn't notice these till today. they are red and itch like crazy. i'm at a loss here....

MY POND: 50'X100' (1/8 ACRE) dug in 2006. get's deep quick with a trench dug in the middle that reaches 17' deep. i have aeration. i stock bluegill, bass, trout, and perch and couple crappie.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Could this be swimmers itch?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Poison Ivy? I have it now, for over a week and it sucks. Itchy like crazy and red bumps.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: scruffy_fish
Poison Ivy? I have it now, for over a week and it sucks. Itchy like crazy and red bumps.

Scruffy -

Whenever I get a severe case of Ivy or Oak I request a steroid and cortizone shot and it's cleared up in a day. Not worth the suffering!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
I bet swimmer's itch. I think it is caused by a small organizm that has a life cycle of birds and snails. It burrows into your skin and causes the bumps and itching. We have it in quite a few lakes in MN. Some beaches will apply chemicals to keep the little organism out of the area but it only works until it dissipates. See this web site:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/swimming/swimmersitch.html

Gotta get back to fishin!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Swimmers itch would be my guess as well. Did you towel dry after getting out of the water?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
after searching the net, my best guess is chiggers. still uncertain though. i've had swimmers itch and i don't remember it being so.... defined little bites. not oak or ivy...

MY POND: 50'X100' (1/8 ACRE) dug in 2006. get's deep quick with a trench dug in the middle that reaches 17' deep. i have aeration. i stock bluegill, bass, trout, and perch and couple crappie.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
My experience with chiggers is they don't stop at your legs...They go for the crotch if they can. They are brutal as what you described.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
poison ivy normally isn't a bunch of little dots that look like bites. Poison ivy will blister and will be bunched up. The blisters come from the oil so if you brushed against it, it will be typically in a line. Unless you rolled all around in it....lol !!!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sounds like swimmer's itch to me as well. After last summer I'm an authority on it. grin

Just be aware your doctor may not be familiar with swimmer's itch if you got it bad enough to see him or her. Apparently they don't see a lot of it.

Guys I wasn't aware poison ivy grows under water or chiggers lived under water! shocked Seriously isn't it telling the welts are only where Sadworld made contact with water? wink

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Schistosomiasis

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/09/10 09:38 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
heres the confusing part... in my research i found that many, many folks claimed to have the chigger bites around the ankles or between ankles and knees. matches the description perfectly right? well, so does swimmers itch if i only waded in up to my knees. it must be one of these, i'm just confused as to which one?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sadworld
just throwing this out there... spent about 3 hours of cutting and raking weeds from my pond YESTERDAY. TODAY, i've got little bumps that look like mosquito bites or pimples all over my feet and legs. roughly just to my knees and that's how deep i waded... could this have came from something in the pond? i didn't notice these till today. they are red and itch like crazy. i'm at a loss here....

That's why my vote goes to Swimmers Itch. Chiggers wouldn't limit themselves to just where your legs were covered with water, and chiggers aren't in the water, they are only on land.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
just for added info... my pond is basically in the woods. very close proximity about halfway around and mostly tall weeds and grasses at the very edges. this is party why i was torn tween chiggers and swimmers itch? also i don't know if its worth noting but i restocked this year so a little water from another pond got in there, PLUS i added beneficial bacteria too this year....

if its swimmers itch how does it get in there and how to get it out.....?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sadworld
just for added info... my pond is basically in the woods. very close proximity about halfway around and mostly tall weeds and grasses at the very edges. this is party why i was torn tween chiggers and swimmers itch? also i don't know if its worth noting but i restocked this year so a little water from another pond got in there, PLUS i added beneficial bacteria too this year....

if its swimmers itch how does it get in there and how to get it out.....?

Read Cecil's link in post #220857. Stocking RES should help, but keep any ducks/geese off of the pond as well.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I'm kind of leaning towards chiggers.Were there a lot of cattails around where you were working? I've had something biting me for the last 4-5 weeks working around cattails and weeds. They may not be chiggers but they itch like them. But it seems like the bites stop where my clothing gets tight. The worst bites are in the crease between my biceps and my fore-arms. Been putting my wifes clear fingernail polish on the bumps to kill the itching. (Now thats a way to get dogs away from you).

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Way too low for crabs!! smile

A dozen worms $2.00
Buying your grandson a new pole $25.00
The look on your grandson's face
when he catches his first fish PRICELESS!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails