Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,105
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
11 members (jbird5986, Deancutler, Angler8689, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Treeguy27, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS), 713 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I have made a few posts about my recent pond renovation but never know where to put them. The topic doesn't really fit under the exisiting forum topics. Can we get a new one called "Project Updates" or "Pond Renovations" under the MANAGING AN EXISITING POND or POND CONSTRUCTION headings? There are many other larger scale projects out there that could be grouped together. Any one else agree?

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Makes sense to me.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Done

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Thanks!

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
How about a classifieds section? Everyone has odds/ends they are looking to buy and sell relating to ponds-from lures to tractor accessories to land for a building a pond. Keep it non-commercial

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Mike Holliday
How about a classifieds section? Everyone has odds/ends they are looking to buy and sell relating to ponds-from lures to tractor accessories to land for a building a pond. Keep it non-commercial

Sorry to disagree, but my vote would be an emphatic no. I think it would zap all the energy of the moderators.

For a number of years I had a business in a small town where I paid for, hosted, and maintained a community website. Things went along pretty well for several years but the community activities section was taking more and more time. So, I added two features. One was a bulletin board where people could post community events. The other was a classified section. Both operated much like a forum, where people could post without my intervention. The items would stay up for 30 days.

It became a nightmare to enforce and it caused a lot of anger in the community while it was running. It caused even more when I took it down.

Just my opinion.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Lunker
Lunker
I disagree--many other user forums have classifieds with no issues. I belong to several. I can't tell you how much better it is to get your stuff sold quickly and to target the right audience with a classifieds section on a topic-specific forum like this. It's a win-win. I usually get more stuff sold quicker at a higher price in less time than E-Bay and the buyer gets a fair price and the peace of mind it came from a member who used the item in the same manner as his intended use.

For example, I have a couple of pond aerator compressors for sale. What better place to alert people I'm selling them is this board? I think it would spur more board activity and spark more interest in ponds.

Respectfully submitted...

Bennie
LMB, HBG, YP, CC, FHM, located SE Michigan
1/3 acre 8-9' deep, aerated 24/7 1/4 hp rocking piston
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
It became a nightmare to enforce and it caused a lot of anger in the community while it was running. It caused even more when I took it down. mad

Ken, could you elaborate on what exactly is no high maintenance about a classifieds section? Another site I frequent has a very active classifieds section and I've never heard or seen anything anything that would suggest inconvenience for the moderators. Could be wrong though and I have an email to one of them to get his opinion.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
See the response from my buddy on another forum I frequent...

Quote:
It's not that big of a deal, hell, copy paste our guidelines for the classifieds. the big thing is no commercial sales. Modify to suit pondboss' needs.

The Outdoors Marketplace has been created to help our members buy, sell, and trade fishing, hunting, and related outdoors gear. Sellers, buyers, and traders are solely responsible for all aspects of transactions, protecting themselves and resolving any disputes that may arise as a result of a transaction. The Nebraska Fishing Forum cannot mediate disputes or assume responsibility for any transaction or its outcome.

Please keep the following guidelines in mind when using this forum to buy, sell, or trade your outdoors items. Using this forum to buy, sell, or trade outdoors gear constitutes your agreement to these user guidelines.

1. All standard Forum User Guidelines are applicable to posts appearing in this forum. Please be familiar with these guidelines before buying, selling, or trading an item using this forum.
2. All transactions conducted using this forum must conform to any and all applicable laws. Sellers may only advertise items they are legally entitled to sell.
3. Commercial advertising is NOT allowed in this forum. Only members may buy, sell, or trade merchandise using this forum. If you have any questions about whether your thread would constitute a commercial advertisement, please contact a moderator for assistance and guidance.
4. All items being sold, purchased, or traded using this forum should be listed in a thread on this forum. Links to third party websites such as eBay or GunTrader.com are permitted and so, too, is using your own server or image hosting service for displaying pictures of listed items.
5. Include as much detail about the item you’re looking to buy, sell, or trade. If possible, include detailed descriptions, and photographs. Please indicate, in your thread title, whether you’re looking to buy (WTB), sell (WTS), or trade (WTT) the gear you list. There is now a drop down list next to the thread title. Please make your selection with the above stated abbreviations by selecting the appropriate one in the drop down list.
6. Once your item has been sold, please indicate this by including "SOLD" in your thread's subject heading.
7. Your listing must include an asking price or if is an Ebay auction a current link.
8. If your item is listed on an auction site please make a description of the item in the thread rather than just a link to the auction.
9. Please DO NOT post private contact information within your thread. Buyers, sellers, and traders should be contacted using either a reply within the applicable thread or though private message (PM).

The Nebraska Fishing Forum reserves the right to reject, cancel, edit, or remove any ad in this forum, especially if that ad violates any of the above stated user-guidelines. In the event that your ad is edited in any way, you will receive a PM explaining why that course of action was undertaken.

This is certainly not to take away from your experience or opinion Ken, you've been there, I haven't. But thought I'd add another opinion as well...

Lunker
Lunker
I belong to a woodworking forum and they only allow people with 25 or more posts to use the classifieds, which keeps the casual person who has one thing to sell from joining and posting their ad for sale. This makes sense.

Bennie
LMB, HBG, YP, CC, FHM, located SE Michigan
1/3 acre 8-9' deep, aerated 24/7 1/4 hp rocking piston
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The classifieds will have to be monitored often usually several times a day to keep out the 'trash'. Here some older members and new members do not take time to read or obey the rules. The Outdoor Marketplace rules above are pretty good ones but I question how many will read the rules before trying to post esp non-pond related members and advertisers. Just my opinion. Hopefully others including 'mods' will provide opinions.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
All;

My feeling is that any classified ads would first undergo an approval process by Pond Boss to ensure all guidelines are being followed. I see some issues that may arise if the classified ads are made available to outside vendors/users. I feel it important to protect the loyal Pond Boss advertisers and also the forum members. We're working on the template as we speak...now we're just testing testing testing and putting ideas on how to set up the process.

Let's hear some thoughts and ideas!

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I would use it. I think that someone using it would have to have some sort of track record on here, either # of posts, or length of time registered. A transaction feedback part would be nice, but wouldn't want it to turn into a bitc* fest.

I'm not pushing for it, nor against it, just that if it was available I'd use it. Since the group is so diverse I don't think it should be limited to pond stuff.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
How about only members that have made donations are able to post items for sale?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I was going to suggest a classified ad section a while back.

I know of a couple forums that have them, and they seem to work.

Rules should be pretty tight, Honesty being the Golden Rule!

I think allowing commercial ads would also be a good idea. Maybe one would have to register each ad with a modest fee. When I first got cable internet, it was for my shop. It cost twice as much as home service, for less service. I asked the rep., why the price difference? and to my surprise, this was the answer:

"Businesses use the internet to make money, and we want a piece of it". At least she was honest!

I can help members out with shipping issues, if needed. I am on ebay a bit, and have shipped stuff all over the world. Plus, I have shipped heavy machinery and equipment that needed to go by truck, throughout the lower 48.

I was also thinking that PB could hook up with fish suppliers/aquaculture facilities throughout the US, and maybe get linked up.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
maybe PB should solicit the current paying advertisers to see what their thoughts are

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I have something for sale.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Lunker
Lunker
Theres plenty of issues to navigate regarding Classified ads. Primary concerns are:

Do classifieds provide a benefit to the forum - is this a service the forum wants? The welfare of the forum members is critical.

How are the interests of Pond Boss advertising vendors protected? Used equipment seems as if it would not present a competitive challenge, but what about new equipment? We can't create a process whereby normal sales channels between customer and vendor are being circumnavigated. We need to be very careful and work with PB advertisers in this regard, as Bski has said.

If the forum community benefits, and advertisers' concerns are addressed, how does PB factor into the mix? This product needs to be built - and resources need to be provided to continue providing the service. So, how does PB derive revenue to cover capital expenditures? % royalty of item sold like Ebay? Flat listing fee regardless of item type or cost? A sliding scale listing fee based on price of the item? Is a fee collected only AFTER a sale has happened?

There is plenty to consider prior to moving forward. Again - the integrity of the forum and welfare of it's members and advertisers is a primary concern. Open to ideas and suggestions...let's hear from you!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dwight
I have something for sale.

FINALLY! will you accept PayPal?

Lunker
Lunker
D -

I'll take one of your log splitters...I'm thinking of running a side business during the off season providing firewood for my Eco Mow customers. I have an endless supply of Pin and Red oak, and need a commercial splitter.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ: When would you be needing the splitter? If you are going to be getting into the wood business, you really, really need something like this:
Shoe string relative perhaps?

Look into wood processors.

For more info. on general wood cutting/splitting etc.
arborist site

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I've bought about half of my current fishing tackle from fishing forums I regularly visit. Sold a bunch of stuff that way too. I've been lucky - no bad experiences. But, I'm also careful about checking into the reputation of the people I do business with.

Would I use it? Maybe. Probably. Mostly for rods and reels.

Can it be abused? Absolutely! One site I visit almost as much as this one shut their swap-and-sell off because it was flooded with guys using it for their business. Not spam, exactly. Just abuse of a free forum that was supposed to be member-to-member. They also had a rating system so you could tell who had good experiences.

I do believe it would require some extra work by some moderators.

So, I'm not for it or against it, either. I have plenty of other outlets for most of what I would use it for if it was here.

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
Lunker
Lunker
Very cool, I wish it were a relative, maybe I'd already have one!

Al - my idea is for PB to authorize every listing to help prevent abuse of any kind. In my opinion anything that poses even an remote threat at undermining the integrity of our forum simply isn't worth thinking about. In other words fellas, don't sweat it - we're on it!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails