Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Layne, Sunil, Angler8689, jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, jbird5986, Rick O, anthropic, Justin W), 974 guests, and 200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
i just added my first dose of bacteria ever. i used cygnet bioblend 2 wsp. it tells me the initial dosage and the maintenance dosage but i can't find anything about how often to ad this stuff? anyone know? thanks. matt.

MY POND: 50'X100' (1/8 ACRE) dug in 2006. get's deep quick with a trench dug in the middle that reaches 17' deep. i have aeration. i stock bluegill, bass, trout, and perch and couple crappie.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Interesting question, Matt. I don't know the answer but am sure someone will be along with one before too long. I'm very interested as I'm considering use of bacteria in my pond but haven't yet reached the point of acting on it. I'm still awaiting results of a water analysis and am not yet sure what direction to go. However, I suspect bacteria may be something I need to try. I'll be anxiously awaiting along with you on this one!

Experts, what say you?

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
This has been a frequent subject on the forum. I can't find one of the better threads about it from several years ago. But, if my collective memory serves me at all, I believe that the general consensus has been that beneficial bacteria provides a minimal benefit.

My younger son worked for a team of pretty smart soil scientists for a number of years. Part of their work included installing and maintaining all types of conventional and alternative waste water management systems for homes and businesses. At least in these applications, they felt that adding beneficial bacteria was only beneficial to those selling the product.

I believe that several regulars PB members supply such products. Possibly they can provide a little more scientific information and backup.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
To add to what Cat says, don't bother asking for a warranty.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
beneficial bacteria makes sense if you could prove that it worked. The only way I can prove that is though lots of measurements of a pond treated with and without the stuff and take measurements of muck over years of study.

A lot of people claim they do ok--other than walking around your pond and feeling how much muck is there, how do you know?

I'm adding it and I think it's gotten better but my results are confounded with my other preventative measures so it could be helping, but I just don't know to what extent.

I think this might work better in preventative maintenance plans instead of treating an existing muck issue.

Bennie
LMB, HBG, YP, CC, FHM, located SE Michigan
1/3 acre 8-9' deep, aerated 24/7 1/4 hp rocking piston
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Sadworld, I'm not sure about the product that you're using but the product that we distribute is recommended once per week at a given concentration. If you're applying for sludge digestion it helps to scour the bottom to seed the bacteria and expose the the underlying organic sediments that you want the bacteria to feed on. If you scour, do it in the morning on a sunny day as it could create additional oxygen demand.

Bennie brings up a good point. How do you prove that it works? Most people aren't willing to go through the initial steps to determine if they are good candidates for bacteria let alone follow any sort of scientific approach to whether it's working or not. This leads to a lot of anecdotal determinations of its efficacy which is less than compelling IMO. I guess what I'm trying to say is that testing is a very important part of a pond management plan. Lack of testing/information can cause you to waste money.

And yes Bennie, it is mainly a preventative maintenance tool which makes it even more difficult to tell if it's working. It's obvious if it's not working which IMO is why it gets a bad rap sometimes.

People that take vitamins every day still get sick occasionally. Does this mean that vitamins don't work? My Dad takes about 25 vitamins twice per day. When he visited last week I ask what each one was for and he can't remember why he takes half of them...but he keeps taking them. Maybe he should take something for his memory laugh

Richard Dennis
EP Aeration
rich@epaeration.com
www.epaeration.com
(800) 556-9251

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I have seen it work great, and not work at all. There are certain applications also. If anyone says beneficial bacteria do not work in a biological filter they are wrong. And that is what you use. I also have bacteria in my tubs with gravel and rcok to grow on. They do keep some of the nutrients and algae in check with other methods. Now, the muckbuster and sludge eaters, boy, that is tough. I don't know if they are different strains, or they get overwhelmed and die or what, But I have stirred up the bottom, scratched the muck, used product exactly per manufacturers instructions and just shook my head, never seeing tangible results with periodic adds. At best, in my experience I would say results inconclusive. I mean, in a lab environment I guess you could have enough control to get measured results. I like it for plant eating, filtering, battling algae. I get results there, but I tried the sludge eaters and just would not go that route again. I'd rahter go plants that eat it, and then get rid of them if I had to. As far as how often, it should say right on the package, both dosage and frequency. I think it is every two weeks. 8 lbs per surface acre initially, 4 lbs every two weeks after.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 06/13/10 02:42 PM.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Some threads regarding bacteria:

Bacteria

Should I use bacteria???

Bacteria in a bag

Bacteria control of FA and sludge

New Tech Bio

What's your take on this?

Easy searching, paste this into the Google search box, bacteria site:pondboss.com

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday