Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58
18,481 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,786
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
4 members (JPierson, Boondoggle, esshup, Theeck), 994 guests, and 202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 39 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 38 39
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
 Quote:
Well, it's tricky, isn't it bz? However, I was guessing that there was enough ice off to allow the circulation to equalize the water temps from top to bottom.

Dave - You are correct in your guessessment about the amount of circulation causing the equalization. With the influx of 4,000,000 plus gallons of ground water and the circulator running 24/7 there has been a lot of mixing occurring.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sorry for another question, hope that's OK on this thread. But why more ground water now than any other time? Is it because of snow melt soaking into the ground? I suppose the ground water level rises somewhat this time of year? Does that level the DO reading because of mixing? I would think ground water moving in would have very low DO itself. My pond is fed partially by ground water too. That's why I' so curious.

Gotta get back to fishin!
bz #209563 03/23/10 08:04 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Let's let Dwight take first crack at your question, bz. However, have you ever posted a picture of your pond here on the forum? If so, I don't remember, and apologize in advance. If you haven't done so, would you consider posting? I'm always very interested in northern ponds, and what keeps them away from winterkill! :-)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
bz, Here goes:

Quote:
But why more ground water now than any other time? Is it because of snow melt soaking into the ground? I suppose the ground water level rises somewhat this time of year?
A small amount of the additional water comes from snow melt and rain runoff directly, but most of it comes indirectly from the Rock River that runs adjacent to the pond. The river has no direct connection to the pond. As the river rises from runoff it creates hydrostatic pressure on the ground water table. This pressure forces the ground water to follow the path of least resistance for relief. Since the pond is close by and it is a gateway into the groundwater table the pressure is relieved most easily by the water rising in the pond. You may want to refer to this thread for more information.

Quote:
Does that level the DO reading because of mixing?
There appears to be a process that causes groundwater that moves through sand and gravel under pressure to have increased DO levels. This is only conjecture on my part, but I have been monitoring DO concentrations for a long time and every time the water table rises significantly there is a corresponding increase in DO.

(Note to Dave) Someone should do a research paper on the high DO levels that seem to be typical in ponds that are dug down into the ground water table (pit type ponds).

Bremer Pond Weather
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Note to Dwight -- yes, someone does need to do a little digging into the DO levels. The traditional viewpoint is that ground water has no DO, but what about shallow ground water? Near the top of the water table?? Another thought might be that the pit type ponds also tend to be less fertile, and less likely to have the drop in DO over the winter?

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Some info on the subject. Your hydrologic cycle is short and through gravel and sand. Low organic content and high DO moving river water. Thus clear water with high Dos and low N. entering your pond.

What Factors Affect Ground-Water Flow and Chemistry?
Rates and pathways of ground-water flow, and the likelihood that ground water will be contaminated by nitrate, depend on a combination of factors. These factors include soil and aquifer composition, land use, and topography.
The grain size of soil and aquifer sediment affects the rates and pathways of ground-water flow. Coarse-grained sediment forms permeable aquifers through which water readily flows. Fine-grained sediment forms low-permeability aquifers (and confining units) that retard ground-water flow.
The amount of organic material in soil and aquifer sediment affects water chemistry. The amount of organic material generally is minimal in coarse-grained sediment and tends to be more abundant in fine-grained sediment. Organic material reacts with dissolved oxygen, removing it from the water. In areas where organic material is abundant, dissolved oxygen can become rapidly depleted.
Soil composition, topography, and land use commonly reflect the factors that affect ground-water flow and chemistry. Coarse-grained and well-drained soil that contains little organic material often indicates the presence of underlying coarse-grained aquifer sediment that also drains well and contains little organic material. Large upland agricultural fields are commonly located where these sediments are present. Fine-grained and poorly drained soil that contains abundant organic material often indicates the presence of underlying fine-grained aquifer sediment that also drains poorly and contains abundant organic material. Lowland forests and marshes and small fields interspersed in upland forests are commonly located in these areas unless extensive measures are used to drain the land.
The availability of dissolved oxygen and organic material affects the potential for nitrate contamination of ground water. Nitrogen is present in several forms in ground water, and it is transformed differently among these forms depending on the availability of dissolved oxygen and organic material. Where dissolved oxygen is abundant, bacteria chemically oxidize (nitrify) ammonia to nitrate. Nitrate is of concern because it is the one form of nitrogen that readily dissolves in, and flows with, ground water. Where dissolved oxygen is limited, nitrate will not form, and bacteria chemically reduce (denitrify) nitrate that is already present to nitrogen gas (the most common product), or to ammonia if sufficient organic material is present.

Ground-water age and chemistry
The age of the water ranged from 0 to 26 years and increased with depth and along pathways of ground-water flow (fig. 3). Thus, the chemistry of the oldest ground water reflects the effects of land use as early as 1968.
Dissolved-oxygen concentration ranged from 8.0 to less than 1.0 mg / L and decreased with depth and along ground-water flow paths. Nitrate concentration ranged from 7.7 to 27 mg / L as N in water beneath the agricultural field. The lowest nitrate concentration (0.13 mg / L) was in water in the fine-grained sediment.

Typically, underground
water has high CO2 concentrations,
and low pH and oxygen concentrations.
Carbon dioxide is
high in underground water because
of bacterial processes in the
soils and various underground,
particulate mineral formations
through which water moves. As
ground- or rainwaters flow over
and percolate through soil and underground
rock formations containing
calcitic limestone (CaCO3)
or dolomitic limestone
[CaMg(CO3)2], the acidity produced
by CO2 will dissolve limestone
and form calcium and magnesium
bicarbonate salt

Here is a link to a chapter on GW and basic geology.

http://www.dpla2.water.ca.gov/publications/groundwater/bulletin118/Bulletin118-Chapter6.pdf

Last edited by ewest; 03/23/10 01:21 PM.

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Updated Weekly.

The water has warmed slightly in the mid and upper ranges. The water clarity is 60 inches so it has stained up considerably from last week.

Again this week, I estimated the ice thickness. Ice now covers less than half of the pond's surface area. I predict that next week I will be switching over to the open water season chart. \:\)

Bremer Pond Weather
Lunker
Lunker
When do we get to see a comparison of last years readings to this years readings?

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
YES that would be fantastic !!!!

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
 Quote:
When do we get to see a comparison of last years readings to this years readings?

Soon.

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
I switched over to the open water version of the weekly chart so that is pretty boring (not much data).

Below that I have included data and charts comparing the past two winters that is pretty interesting (at least to me).

Updated Weekly

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
This is the look of spring under the surface.

Updated Weekly

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker

Bremer Pond Weather
Lunker
Lunker
59 degree surface temp? I better get the boat project done this week and get out fishing some where!!!

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Later day when I was fishing the surface temp was 60.2 - 60.6 F degrees. Get that boat going!!!!

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
We are in a spring holding pattern. Water temperatures have dropped in the past week, D.O. has dropped and clarity is variable in a 10 inch range. We need some consistently warm temperatures to get things moving in the summer direction!

Weekly Update

Bremer Pond Weather
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Dave Willis, I think you asked me for pics of my pond? Either PM me with an email address or I can post some under a new thread.

Dwight, I lost track of this thread until now. Thanks for answering my questions on ground water, your answers make sense.

I'm still trying to understand Ewest's DO explanation.

Gotta get back to fishin!
bz #215306 05/03/10 01:06 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
bz -- PM sent.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dwight what happened to that early plankton bloom?

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
ewest - At night, I see them in the lights, but the water temperature is holding them back.

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
In spite of cold, rainy and ultra-windy weather the pond is plugging along just fine. Even though the water temperatures have dropped since last week, the water is clearing and plant life is flourishing.

Oh, and the fish, are biding their time………..

Weekly Update

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
While we were gone for a week of vacation (the blink of an eye in pond terms) the water temp rocketed upward 11 degrees, plant life expanded and a plankton bloom occurred. Yesterday the wind blew 40 plus all day to stir it all together.

Weekly Update

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
I am a little early on the update this week because of high winds in the forecast the next couple days.

Updated Weekly

Bremer Pond Weather
Page 12 of 39 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 38 39

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:01 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM