Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
2 members (Foozle, Croakin' Toad), 712 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#217893 05/19/10 08:21 PM
S
Swen Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I found 19 dead floating female frogs on the surface of my pond 2 days after they laid their eggs. All of the eggs died too. I've had years of successful frog eggs to tadpole stage maturation in the past. This year I used Cutrine (in stead of just Copper Sulfate) for the first time, per label instructions and got a Cu level of 0.25 ppm (Suggested range 0.2 to 0.6 ppm). pH is running pretty alkaline at nearly 8.0.

A local pet store specializing in fish reports that Cu levels greater than 0.1 ppm can be lethal for frogs and their eggs.

I run and stone aerator, and can see a white thermometer on a string 10 feet down.

The Cutrine label says nothing about frogs. Anyone want to weigh in on this tragedy? I'll be sick if I killed my frogs!

Thanks.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Amphibians are very sensitive to environmental changes and toxins, I do believe it was the cutrine. Once levels subside more frogs will magically appear, and I doubt that all of them died.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello Swen and welcome to Pond Boss. I have used Cutrine in the past with no apparent detrimental effect to anything other than the Elodea that I was treating. But this is just anecdotal evidence, lets get some expert feedback.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Swen,

Did you use Cutrine Plus or Ultra? Ultra has a surfactant/penetrant called CideKick that I've seen frogs be sensitive to in high concentrations. Also, both products have a Ethanolamine in them that chealates the copper. This Ethanolamine might have negatively affected your frogs. However, I have never seen Cutrine Plus harm frogs, but I have seen an application with too much CideKick affect frogs.

Also, your method of application could have much to do with the negative effect to your frogs. If you were applying from a sprayer, using a high concentration, either from shore or boat, that may have done it. It's best to apply Cutrine or copper products to algae using a high volume/low pressure sprayer that slowly injects the product. This will allow better algae mat mixing, lower concentration of product out of the sprayer nozzle and less direct contact with frogs and their eggs.

Most of the time when we hear about do-it-yourself applications going wrong - it's not becuase someone used the wrong product at the wrong rate, rather they applied it incorrectly and with the wrong type of equipment.

Don't be discouraged by using the Cutrine product. It is a much safer and less toxic form of copper than copper sulfate. Copper sulfate participates out of solution in 24 hours and accumulates in the substrate 20 times more than Cutrine and other chealated copper products.

Cheers,

Trent

S
Swen Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks, Trent (and others for your advice and encouragement)

I used Cutrine Plus, and applied it with a hand pump sprayer from the shoreline (my pond is only 60' X 90') diluting the product 2:1 with water. In retrospect, my timing was bad, as I applied the product just a couple days before the frogs appeared and started laying eggs.

I spoke with a couple of folks at MSU, and the consensus is that I killed the frogs with the Copper. &^$#(#$

I'll take your advice, Trent, and use a high volume sprayer or perhaps wait until after the frogs are gone and tadpoles hatched next year.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I use Captain by SEPRO at ratio of about 8:1 water to Captain and have even accidentally direct spayed some frogs. No morts that I have seen or suspected. I think that the Captain works great if you stay on top of the growth and don't let it get away from you. I have been intending to buy some CideKick to mix in with it but now having second thoughts after Trent's comments. Any other opinions on the CideKick?

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM