Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
10 members (Bill Cody, Fishingadventure, araudy, FishinRod, Boondoggle, JabariStokes, Bing, emactxag, catscratch, Sunil), 1,550 guests, and 526 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215680 05/06/10 07:11 AM
J
jsec Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I've read in a few threads that it's a good idea to sort forage fish when stocking to prevent the introduction of unwanted species. How is this done efficiently? My first thought is to use a dip net, but sorting a couple thousand fatheads 8-12 at a time would take quite a while. Is there a better way?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
The introduction of beer helps with the back pain from stooping... other than that your best help could be from getting your kids (if you have any) to lend a hand.

I subscribe!
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I pretty much segregate and sort all fish I stock with the pond owners. The reasons are numerous, just not unwanted diseases. I usually have some type of aerated tank. A tempering tank filled with pond water where they are going. When I bring the fish I mix half pond water and half the water they are in to temper them and also help prevent ionic shock. It's best to have three or four people. Small dips nets or baitfish nets are almost required. Nice chairs don't hurt, and a thermometer. Thentime to count while taking them out of the mixed water and placing them in the stock tank. The count lets you verify what you are getting, cull out any duds and check for unwanted species and also try to avoid unwanted plants. I have been over 500 short on a FHM before. Not good. Also got 50% gambusia mixed in with FHM. Again, not exactly what I paid for or was told what I was getting. Take out fungus fish if any, cripples, morts. If you want you can recount again after they come out of the tank and into the pond. Using this method I insure pretty much what I put in the pond, and when planting several thousand fish I usually have less than 1% floaters. It is one of the most important times of stocking a pond, if not the most importasnt. I always take the time to at least attempt to do it right. You can count by 10's and put maybe 100 into a 5 gal bucket before they go into a pond or tank. Seek help.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I am new to this and just stocked some FHM but did not sort mine, could this be a problem?

What are Gambusia?

What do you mean by cripples and morts?

Is it ok to but fish in at the same time you put in the FHM?

What is the differences between Fatheads, blacks, shinners, rosy reds, etc. and can you stock them all or is this a problem?

Thanks

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
I am new to this and just stocked some FHM but did not sort mine, could this be a problem?

What are Gambusia?

What do you mean by cripples and morts?

Is it ok to but fish in at the same time you put in the FHM?

What is the differences between Fatheads, blacks, shinners, rosy reds, etc. and can you stock them all or is this a problem?

Thanks

Without sorting or inspecting fish when you stock them there could potentially a few problems, miscounts, wrong species and diseased fish.

Cripples are fish that have something wrong, deformed, injured, sick, missing tails, problem fish. Morts are motality or deaths. Dead fish don't stock well. I throw both of these types in the garbage, not in the pond.

Gambusia ar Mosquito Fish

There are FHM or Fathead Minnows. Also known as tuffies. A pink or light colored variety are called Rosy Reds.

Blacks I'm not sure, we have a Sacramento Blackfish, kind of a minnow, I don't use them.

Shiners are usually but not always Golden Shiners, another minnow. I have a pond I just planted with Gambusia, Golden Shiners and Fathead minnows all in there. They sometimes or ideally occupy different areas of the pond and eat different things. Normally they can coexist to some extent.

I try to put fish in that cannot or will not eat my FHM just to get a spawn or two out of them before they are eaten. Otherwise you are not really stocking them but feeding other fish.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
So I should probably stock the FHM before I ever put fish in the pond?

I just stocked mine last November or December, would it be a waist of time and money to put more FHM in it?

Will the Ruby Red variation work just as well as the standard FHM?

Are they able to reproduce, how long do they live?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you stocked no other fish with your FHM, they should be spawning soon and within a month or two you'll have so many FHM, you'll be amazed. You can assist them by putting in suitable spawning locations... Place, broken bricks, tiles, cinder blocks, stones, pieces of plywood, pallets,(anything semi flat that will lay near the bottom), in water 6"-18" in depth. The FHM like to spawn on the underside of this structure. I wouldn't bother stocking more FHM. If you stocked some back in Nov-Dec, they'll be spawning soon and you'll have 1000's.

The rosey red variation of the FHM is the exact same species except it's just a color morph. Because they are pinkish, they stand out and are usually the first to get eaten by predators. In ponds without predatory fish, I have seen them persist for a while, but ponds even with BG, they are usually gone in a year while their naturally colored buddies live longer.

Most people stocking FHM as the first fish in their pond. FHM are very hardy and can tolerate poor water conditions. They also make a great starter feed for young bass, getting them off to a great start before they get larger and begin to feed more readily on sunfish.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
If i were to stock a pond with FHM now when should I expect them to spawn, and when should I add more fish?

Is there a prefered order of stocking. FHM, Bluegill, Bass or Crappie ect.

I need help since I believe I may have messed up the first pond I stocked.

thanks

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If i were to stock a pond with FHM now when should I expect them to spawn, and when should I add more fish?

What species and size of fish do you currently have in your pond?

Stocking a pound of FHM into an existing predatory fish community, most notably LMB wouldn't lead to FHM spawning as they'd all be eaten within a day or two in all likelihood. If the bass are smaller, there is a good chance some may survive. FHM bought from hatcheries are typically adults and will begin spawning within a few days IME under proper seasonal conditions where water temps are correct.

Is there a prefered order of stocking. FHM, Bluegill, Bass or Crappie ect.

Again, this varies from region to region. However, FHM are typically the first species to be stocked regardless. In southern regions(such as yours), the bluegill are stocked next followed by the bass. Most wait 6 months to 1 year between the stocking of the BG and the bass. Crappies are not recommended for ponds due to serious management issues. However, if one was adding crappies, I'd wait a year or two after the bass were stocked to make sure the bass could heavily prey on any offspring produced by the bass.

I need help since I believe I may have messed up the first pond I stocked.

Share with us when, what size and how many of each species you stocked... Then we can evaluate what you may need to do.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
The number and size at stocking on December 4th 2009:

125 Hybrid Bluegill 1"-3"
100 Channel Catfish 4"-6"
25 Redear 1"-3"
25 Florida Hybrid Bass 2"-3"
25 Black Crappie 2"-3"
3 lbs Fathead Minnows

I am not sure what size they are now as I have not had a chance to get back over there to try it out.

What size should I expect to see if my pond is healthy?

I do not supplement feed.

Should any of them have spawned by now?

Thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Figure that in the past 5 months they might have grown an inch or so. I doubt any would have or will spawn this year with the exception of the FHM (if there any that haven't been eaten) and maybe a late spawn from the HBG, although that's a long shot with the size that you stocked.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I can say this, you got some VERY hungry fish... You desperately need to get more forage in there for them. I would immediately stock at least 10 pounds of FHM and look for a source of pure non hybrid BG to stock your pond with. How big is your pond again? Also, keep an eye on the crappies... They are gonna be a lot of work if/when they spawn.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Would it not be a waist of money to put the FHM in now with all the fish? I thought they would be all eaten up if I were to through them in there.

When you say pure non hybrid BG what do you mean and can you give examples?

Why are the crappie going to be so much work and when should they spawn if they do?

Will the other fish not eat crappie frye?

How old or big do each type of fish I stocked have to be before they spawn?

Just curious.
Thanks

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Would it not be a waist of money to put the FHM in now with all the fish? I thought they would be all eaten up if I were to through them in there.

No, it wouldn't be a waste... Just realize they are no going to establish. They are simply going to be several meals for your fish and then will be gone... Your pond is predator crowded with minimal forage. The FHM will help keep your fish fed until you can establish a better forage fish population...

You have stocked hybrid BG(green sunfish x bluegill). You need to stock pure BG as in only sunfish with BG genetics. Pure PG are a close 50/50 ratio of males to females. This and their propensity to spawn multiple times per year with high fecundity makes them an excellent forage source. Hybrid BG are typically 95% male, they don't spawn multiple times per year. This makes them a poor forage source.

Why are the crappie going to be so much work and when should they spawn if they do?

Crappies are often a feast or famine spawner. They spawn earlier than LMB. This means their fry are ready to chow down on your LMB fry. Meaning they can really hurt the natural reproduction of LMB in a pond. Crappies and small bass also compete for the same food sources. This means there is that much more stress put on your already limited food sources. The feast or famine spawning habit of crappies can mean you get a huge year class of crappies causing lots of competition from fellow cohorts leading to bad stunting. Picture several thousand 3"-4" crappies that are paper thin... That often happens in unmanaged small ponds with crappies in them.

Will the other fish not eat crappie frye?

No, other fish will eat crappie fry. However, keep in mind... 1, crappies spawn early in the year in water temps that are colder where other fish are generally less active. 2, they have very high fecundity, the other fish just can't eat enough of the fry.

How old or big do each type of fish I stocked have to be before they spawn?

I know I have answered this question at least a couple other times in other posts you've made... Check those for the answer.

Also, the forum has a huge archives section and an improved search function. I would strongly recommend you learn to use both. You'll get answers to your questions in a much more timely manor that way. If you are unable to locate the information in that manner, then posting would be the last resort.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The following answers are in the archives. Search, read and learn Grasshopper!

BG/Sunfish
Crappie info.

Just curious.
Thanks

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM