Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
We're in contact with a Nebraska state hatchery, in the north-central part of the state. They got their first egg ribbon of the year in a hatchery pond yesterday.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Bill, I have basically no cover and no spawning subtrate but an 8'x10' patch of cattails (which are completely covered toad eggs at the moment). I only stocked 3 adult perch a few years ago and 1 died. I had hundreds of 2-4" babies die and trapped several last year (posted photos before). This week I'm seeing 3"-4" following my bass spinnerbaits in to shore. The blades are as big as the perch. Plenty of LMB, HSB, a couple SMB, and a few CC present.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Lunker
Lunker
De nada here as yet, although the females seem to be getting more gravid. This would be the first year mine are big enough to spawn (if they make it).

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
You guys know bout my accident. Not that ya gave a poop. My electric chair I go to the pond in neds a bat. I got it covered. Takes time. I dieing to see some perch strands. lol

i only wanted to have some fun
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm now concerned enough to move egg strands from the big pond to the production pond whether they are fertilized or not. (Virtually no males or literally no males in the big pond). After all if I don't get fertilized egg strands in the production pond, I have to wait a whole year to do it again. Still only one egg strand retrieved from broodstock pond even though there are 20 gravid females and 200 males in that pond! Must have moved them too late and stressed them. \:\(

However I'm getting 3 to 5 new egg strands in the big pond every morning. What can I say? As soon as I think I've got things figured out the fish refuse to read the book.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

Could you catch a fish out of the brood stock pond and see how they're progressing? % wise, you should catch a male and not a female... Your luck wise, you'll catch a gravid female.

Got any pics of BG fishing?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Still nothing happening up here! I measured the water temps last evening at it was
55.7 deg.F. I still see a couple of fat females swimming around, but no egg ribbons yet. Things have cooled off weather wise with a fair bit of rain this week. Maybe this will slow things up some?

Lots of small RES and small LMB swimming around in the shallows

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I found a big ribbon running through a Christmas tree near shore. Hopefully that means there are more that I cannot see.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Saw the first one yesterday! Small, but none the less it was there!
Water temps have dropped back to 52.1 degrees, but lots of sunshine and a bit of rain. Hope to see more this week. The ones we do have are real shallow in some grass.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Found a second strand today on the same tree

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

Could you catch a fish out of the brood stock pond and see how they're progressing? % wise, you should catch a male and not a female... Your luck wise, you'll catch a gravid female.

Got any pics of BG fishing?

Did that. Most have dropped their eggs especially the big perch up to almost 14 inche, but what's interesting is the smaller females seem to be reabsorbing their eggs for some reason. That may be where I screwed up. I planted mostly smaller female perch and even though they seemed to have some good egg mass. Perhaps they reabsorbed their eggs?

I have moved two egg ribbons out of the broodstock pond to the production pond that should be fertile. Hopefully I can get a couple more and I will be fine. I'm still getting four or five monster size egg ribbons in the big pond. I'm moving them to the production pond just in case they are fertile.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Update: I set up a light on the pier and to see if I have any perch as perch fry are "phototactic" which means they are attracted to light. Turns out I do. Can't tell how many at this point but I am seeing some fry in the 4 to 5 mm range. Lots of zooplankton too. As long as I have a few thousand perch I will be happy.

I was having my doubts this year! The good Lord cut me a break this even though I tried my best to screw it up!

Coach,

If you're reading this, maybe you should give a light a try. I was told by my previous perch producer even a flashlight will do to do a check if one waits patiently on the pier with the light directed into the water. If there's no perch you can always wait for a snipe! Just dont' forget the paper bag! grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/29/10 09:16 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It appears that the yellow perch in northern South Dakota are just finishing their spawn this week. One of my students collected some adult fish and spawned some fertile egg masses on Wednesday, with help from our local state agency biologists. We are also trawling about 8 lakes with a fine-mesh net, and caught just a few, very tiny perch larvae in a couple of our southern SD lakes this week. Thought that these might be reference points for a few of our interested "perch" folks here on the Forum.

Last edited by Dave Willis; 04/30/10 09:11 AM.

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

That's interesting Dave. Thanks for sharing that.

I'm considering manually spawning some perch next year using the "dry method." Along with insuring I have fertilized eggs, if I use a human chorionic gonadotropin injection I can insure they all hatch at the same time which is important. If anything I can say I tried it. grin

Of course that depends on the red tape and if its cost effective.

Hopefully I wouldn't have as much trouble getting the hormone as I do fertilizer. shocked grin

BTW is this hormone from humans or something? Maybe cadavers? shocked

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good question on the HCG, Cecil. I didn't know, and you made me curious. I checked online and if we can trust what I found.... smile

Like other gonadotropins, hCG can be extracted from urine or by genetic modification. Pregnyl, Follutein, Profasi, and Novarel use the former method, derived from the urine of pregnant women. Ovidrel, on the other hand, is a product of recombinant DNA.

Even back to the earliest days of me being in the fisheries profession, we were using HCG. My first exposure came in ND, where they used it to ripen the green female walleyes for spawning. That was back in the mid-70s.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I went out tonight and had perch fry at the dock within five minutes with my flash light. A couple dozen were visible, which I didnt think was bad considering the short amount of time I was out there and the small light I had

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
One of the best days of my life. I found three strands of perch eggs on trees that I sunk. I pulled 4 out of the 12 I have sunk and three had eggs on them. I can hardly contain my excitement.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I have something on my trees as well that look like egg ribbons?? But I know I don't have any perch? Could it be some other type of fish other than perch???? Do you have a picture of what they look like? Mine were at the tips of the branches and white in color all in strands of about 8 to 10 inches.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: blair5002
One of the best days of my life. I found three strands of perch eggs on trees that I sunk. I pulled 4 out of the 12 I have sunk and three had eggs on them. I can hardly contain my excitement.

Congratulations! You're the proud father of thousands of perch fry! Should I send you a box of cigars? grin

I'm happy I have some perch coming under the light but not many. Hopefully there are more than I'm not seeing.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/05/10 10:30 AM.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: RC51
I have something on my trees as well that look like egg ribbons?? But I know I don't have any perch? Could it be some other type of fish other than perch???? Do you have a picture of what they look like? Mine were at the tips of the branches and white in color all in strands of about 8 to 10 inches.

Perch ribbons are several feet long and look like wet toilet paper in the pond. Also its doubtful you have perch ribbons because they would have spawned in Arkansas over a month ago.

If your ribbons are black they are probably toad egg ribbons, they would be everywhere by now down there

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
No they are white and look like toilet paper, but not real long. I don't know what they are?? If they are still there I will take a pic the next time I am out there.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No they are white and look like toilet paper, but not real long. I don't know what they are?? If they are still there I will take a pic the next time I am out there.

Where does you septic tank go? grin

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Funny Cecil but it can't be that yet as I don't have one out there at all. NO Septic!!! smile

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Funny Cecil but it can't be that yet as I don't have one out there at all. NO Septic!!! smile

So you just run it right into the pond? shocked grin

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Dang it man! I shutup now!! smile smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??