Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#205827 02/26/10 04:01 PM
F
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
F
Hello all -

Quick question for the experts out there... I'm installing a Vertex aeration system this spring, but will likely be moving the diffuser stations around as our pond restoration moves forward (and cattails disappear).

Water depth is around 4' now, but I'm hoping to build up the dam & spillway to raise water depth by at least 3' in the next couple years. With those depths, how might you suggest retrieving and moving diffuser stations? Any success attaching a rope around the unit that could be grabbed with a hook? I assume it's not a good idea to pull it up by the hose...

Thanks for any help you can offer - this is a fantastic forum!

Lunker
Lunker
Attach a rope and put a float on the upper end - that way you won't have to try and snag it.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i dont think lifting by air line is a good idea, but sue cruz or someone else can speak to that.

i have nylon rope attached to the bases of my two stations, w/ small green buoys that float on surface so i can find them. mine are in 15 and 11 feet of water. i have not had to retrieve them yet, and the rope still appears good after 4 years. when and if i go to pull them up, i may try and use the old rope to thread new through the holes on the bases, if that doesnt work, and the old rope breaks, then i guess i am going swimming.

GSF are people too!

C
Fingerling
Fingerling
C
Use a nylon rope and tie a loop or bowline in it at the end. Leave a few extra feet and it will just float around near the surface of where the aerator is. If you dont mind seeing a buoy or a decoy just attach one of those to it.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Side note: You may want to place your diffuser (if it's a stone) in a bucket to keep from sinking in the mud.

F
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
F
Thanks everyone - I didn't realize the Vertex diffusers had holes for attaching ropes. I like the floating loop idea, and will try doing that with the loop a foot or so under the surface.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I put mine in without a way to retrieve them. I think I'm going to mount my aquavu camera to a long hook at this point. They've been in for several years without any trouble but they're probably due for a cleaning. I'll post some pics when I do it.

I thought about tieing a piece of floating rope to it without a bouy. will that work?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
good responses. Make sure it is a good quality nylon rope. I have a decoy attached to it. Occasionally I tie a swimming pool dry chlorine float to it and fill with triple super phosphate to slowly add a little fert. as it dissolves. You can adjust the openings to control the rate of dispensing. The bubbles help with this and mixing it in the water.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Yes use the holes in the coactive air station to attach rope. I think most pondowners enjoy seeing a bobbing decoy for marking and retriveal purpose.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
FrontRanger, Installation instructions and AirStation rope guide photo on our site on homepage. Left side //7th link down " Vertex Owners Manual" download the 1/3 hp model to view.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Just a safety note. If you, your children or your pets swim in the pond, it's best to avoid the rope and bouy. I've seen dogs get tanged in them and it's not difficult to imagine a child or weak swimmer doing the same. Plus the natural curiosity of dogs and children are likely to draw them to the bouy. Sorry about the doom and gloom, I would just hate to read a horrible post about this later.

Richard Dennis
EP Aeration
rich@epaeration.com
www.epaeration.com
(800) 556-9251

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
good call richard.

as an also and besides, my ropes seem to attract thick slimey algae growth, so without the buoys, i'm sure they would have sunk a long time ago.

GSF are people too!

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
WW, I hear you but a duck on a decoy cord is not going to harm anybody who can swim. A dog maybe but if someone can not swim lose from a duck decoy cord they should not be swimming anyways.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Cant speak for other brands or models BUT, On the Vertex Coactive AirStation (renamed the XL-2 and the XL2-SW after today) we seldom have to move or remove them.If a need arises you can air them up to approx 2.5 cfm each and do one a few things, 1.Follow (grip)the tubing from the shoreline out to the AirStation besure if multiple lines you do not have them crossed. Then just lift into boat by the tubing (weighted tubing only) and be sure not to handle by the discs, rethread a rope into the eyelets and relocate to desired location. 2. Again have the Airstation running take a reachpole with a small 4-6 inch L on the end and snag the weighted tubing 5-6 ft from the Airstation, the tubing is easy to feel on the pond bottom, pull into boat as above.3. If you do not have any obstruction between the AirStation and the weighted tubing entry point on shore, (again with it aired up) just pull it slowly back to the shore and rethread the weightbox and go relocate in same procedure as original installation.If you think you may want to do any of the above I would PVC glue and use a 100% stainless steel band clamp on the hose to the AirStation connection.The weightbox on this model will be in the 25-30 lb range and having them aired up make a big difference.We have not had to exercise the Vertex 5 year "no questions asked warranty" by doing any of the above yet.These units do not ever need to be removed for cleaning as thats done from the compressor location.As a side note when installing weighted tubing consider tying a 1 gallon milk jug every 50-100 ft and float the line in place. We do many installs where gas motors are not allowed and can easily pull up to 1300 ft with a small electric trolling motor with the "jug" method.With most tubing in the 50-60 lbs per 100 ft range it can be difficult to handle after several hundred feet.Good Luck \:\)

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
PS I agree with all above especially Greg with the duck decoys, The only issue with these rope lines in the water is to be sure when you pull them that the rope has not wrapped around the discs. Had a few comments back over the years that bird decoys (except black swans) brought additional water fowl that the cusomer didnt want. I guess that could work both ways.Greg are you finished with the SNOW for the season down there yet ??

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I agree, the buoy would probably not be a problem with most people. I was just suggesting that you inform your children and weak swimmers of the danger and try to discourage your pets from going near them. Even if you're a strong swimmer, panic tends to make people not think clearly. It's best just to avoid swimming near them.

Ted, how do clean vertex diffusers from shore?

Richard Dennis
EP Aeration
rich@epaeration.com
www.epaeration.com
(800) 556-9251

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i have two diffusers, w/ the system running, i close and open the valves to each one which works to "blow off" debris that may have collected on the diffuser plate. mine have been in for 4 years w/ no noticeable loss of bubbling.

GSF are people too!

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
We have had 4-5 light snows and one REALLY good one for us, that means abotu 3-4". The one monday did not last long and mid 50's tommorrow. Thanks for the advice as always.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
What DIED said is correct.When the system is new I suggest marking or writing down the pressure gauge reading, If you notice an increase in pressure by a lb or two over a few month period your Stations need flexed or burped. Each system depending on compressor (s) flexes somewhat differently. A single diffuser system is just take the power away and turn back on 2-3 times and the system will return to the original gauge reading. A 2 disc Station has a maximum cfm rating of 2.5 cfm so if we have a multiplr station system that is producing 11.2 cfm we may want to unplug one of the two compressors and flex two at a time from the manifold located at the compressor (same concept with a remote valve box) by simply turing that valve(s) off, each line has to have a seperate valve.Reversely if you notice the pressure gauge going down the air filters are probably dirty. You can flex 6-7 Stations in 1-2 minutes so I suggest not waiting until a spike in pressure but every 2-3 months just flex them. Every pond / lake can be different. Many diffusers advertise self cleaning ( I think Vertex may also) but there is no such thing as self cleaning but find this is about as close as it comes.I think the pressure gauge is the only present way to monitor air flow as you can put 1.5 cfm or 2 cfm to a two disc station and cant see any difference between them, the bubble flow looks the same so one can have a lower flow and never know it without some way to monitor it.A good liquid filled gauge is a great investment in any system.

F
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
F
Great information in here - thanks all!

K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
I have 2 ducks on a rope. I move the one to the shallow area. In the winter one in 3'. Found a 100 black lab and a coon.

Last edited by ken; 03/27/10 02:21 AM.

i only wanted to have some fun

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM