Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,972
Posts558,081
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,556
ewest 21,500
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (wps456, 4CornersPuddle, canyoncreek, Sunil, Rick O, emactxag, Knobber, Bigtrh24, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, SetterGuy), 822 guests, and 172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George:

I vote to save the Origional for the April Conference. Could you re-introduce the spinster, but with a slight difference so it wouldn't take away from the orig. collector spinsters? Would it work the same with the 60° hook instead of the 90°?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Scott the 60 degree bend hook IS the Spinster and what makes it so effective.
The only change ever made was for the PB forum contest when we renamed it the PB Mrs. G's $Gill and we have wrung that out to the max.

Delay until conference and I may be able to shake a corporate money tree ..

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George, sorry, I misread the article. I thought it was made on the 90° jig hook.

I'd still wait and shake some branches.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
George, what size hook is most commonly used to tie the "spinster"? I suspect you could use a number of different hook sizes and the appropriate spinner size to match. Would using something like sticky back lead foil to give it some extra weight be cheating or should the use of a weighted fly line be used? I like the pattern and think it would work well on some of the big brown trout I chase after in a fly fishing only section of creek I fish. However, with the addition of a spinner I am not sure the pattern would be legal to use in the fly fishing only section? They have very specific rules or what is and what isn't allowed.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
George, what size hook is most commonly used to tie the "spinster"? I suspect you could use a number of different hook sizes and the appropriate spinner size to match. Would using something like sticky back lead foil to give it some extra weight be cheating or should the use of a weighted fly line be used? I like the pattern and think it would work well on some of the big brown trout I chase after in a fly fishing only section of creek I fish. However, with the addition of a spinner I am not sure the pattern would be legal to use in the fly fishing only section? They have very specific rules or what is and what isn't allowed.

Travis, I use the #2/0 Eagle Claw 413 exclusively for striped bass and LMB.
I use 8 wraps of .035 leaded wire with sinking lines but weight heavier with clouser type bar bell eyes and/or additional lead for floating or intermediate lines.

It can be tied on any size hook, materials or spinners aka Mrs. G’s $Gill/

Spinner flies are approved by the IGFA rules so I wouldn’t worry about “fly fishing only section” without a severe challenge.
This fly has been published in several national and international fly fishing magazines.

Here’s a link to tyin’ instructions and materials.
http://www.danblanton.com/thespinster.html

Pretty fair SMB fly as well as SB fly ...

My PB 14# SB on my Spinster fly ....

Last edited by george1; 03/22/10 07:55 AM. Reason: add photo

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Quick update:

I have the box in hand and I received the lure all the way from Norway - Thanks Paul!!!!

Plus I received the customized Road Runner from George. Thank you George!

I'm still waiting for the Rapala and the Condello jig from DIED and I'm waiting for the Rooster Tail from Bass Pro Shop. Ironically Bass Pro Shop was completely sold out of the Sonic Chartreuse Rooster Tail so the lure that will be in the box will be a standard Rooster Tail in Chartreuse.

PS:
I'll keep the instructions that came with the lure Paul sent and that will go with the auction box - the instructions are in Viking-speak (Norwegian?).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
geez where does the time go......thanks for the reminder, i just packaged up the two lures and will mail tomorrow a.m.

BTW, the rap is a j-7, slightly larger than a j-5 but thats ok, its a fish catchin sumbeech and it'l attract slighty larger fishies.

bummer about the sonic rooster, i personally like those alot more than regular rooster tails....after casting, w/ a quick rip, they are faster to get spinning, they also vibrate more and better at slow retrieve speeds.....oh well... mine is so beat up from so many fish its not worth including. i havent seen them for sale around here for a while.

for future reference, if cabela's has a sonic in white or black, those work good too.

Last edited by dave in el dorado ca; 03/25/10 07:16 PM.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Oh Boy! If I get the box, I think I'll have to go out and catch a fish with just a worm. Then I'll take a picture of the fish next to the box before I ship it off. There is no way I'd want to take the chance of losing one of these very special lures.

Jeff -- if you can, scan and post the Viking-speak instructions. Growing up as a multi-ethnic Northwoods Scandahoovian Lutheran, I may be able to translate the Norsk to Sami, Sami to Suomi, Suomi to Svensk, and finally Svensk to American English. By the time I get done with it, I'm sure the lure will be catching something we never expected.

Ystävällisin terveisin,
Suomi Poika
(better than my brother's name -- Saatanaa Poika)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Thanks for the tips George... I think this fly may be the ticket to fool some of the big browns that have seen everything else. Those are some fine fish caught on it. I like the idea of using clouser type bar bell eyes to keep it hugging the bottom.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
bummer about the sonic rooster, i personally like those alot more than regular rooster tails....after casting, w/ a quick rip, they are faster to get spinning, they also vibrate more and better at slow retrieve speeds.....oh well... mine is so beat up from so many fish its not worth including. i havent seen them for sale around here for a while. for future reference, if cabela's has a sonic in white or black, those work good too.

I was bummed about the sonic roostertails as well. Bass Pro Shop did have the sonic in other colors - the day that I ordered them they had "White" and "flame" in 1/8 ounce. Everything else was out of stock. Cabelas does not (oops forgot the word not) even offer the sonic on their web site.

Last edited by jeffhasapond; 03/27/10 10:25 AM. Reason: does not does not mean the same thing as does does.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I'll try to get take of photo of the lure box from Paul.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Jeff, I'll send you the Gutless Frog to present to the winner ..... as soon as I make another for myself ....

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
OK folks so we are ready to get this show on the road. I received the last of the lures yesterday. So here's our line up of lures.

Clock wise from upper left...

Chartreuse Rooster Tail (sorry not sonic)
Solvkroken Lure (all the way from Norway - thank you Andy)
Rapala Jointed J7 Floating Lure (from DIED's collection, thank you Dave)
"Condello Jig (from DIED's contest winnings, thank you again Dave and also Bruce)
"Road Runner" (custom made by George, yes you read that correctly, custom made by George, many thanks George) :

For those of you that are unsure as to how to properly use the Solvkroken, I have provided a copy of the instructions:

And finally here is a shot of the lures in the box (the box will be finished with felt inside, I just put in a piece of paper to show off the lures):

So I'd like to start the sign up process as soon as possible. I figure if I can get the lures shipped out and to the first person on April 7t or 8th then we can have two recipients in April. I think it will be a first come first served on date selection.

Any volunteers to help coordinate sign ups? I'm having trouble finding much free time to mess with this right now (imagine that given tax season). What I was thinking is that we would kick off sign ups on Monday April 5th at a certain time. I'm envision just a list of dates (in 10 day increments) and people can sign up for a certain date by posting to a sign up thread. Where I need the help is for someone (anyone?) to take over this sign up process and "award" the dates and keep track of the calendar (at least during April). For instance I'm envisioning the first dates to be:

Saturday April 10th through Tuesday, April 20th.

Two days to ship,

The second dates would be Thursday, April 22 through Monday, May 1st.

Two days to ship...

You get the idea. As soon as we have our first recipient signed up then I'll ship the lures.

I'm going to reserve the last period in May (what ever the dates will fall) for DIED, DWIED, JWHAP and myself. We are going to get all four of us done in one 10 day slot.

So can I get a volunteer to help with the calendar???

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
That looks great JHAP! Nicely done. I'd like to help, but I've been running out of time myself lately.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
cant wait to use the viking spoon, NOW THAT I KNOW HOW TO USE IT \:D

you do not want my help in the scheduling of things, that is my most worst skill.

somebody well organized or at least well intentioned needs to step up for this.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

I hadn't actually read the lure box instructions prior to posting them.

After reading the instructions I find that I have many, many, questions to ask but fear of moderation has kept me in check.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JHAP:

May I suggest a piece of styrofoam or other foam to stick a hook into to keep the lure in place during shipment? As much as boxes get bounced around during shipment, I think the heavier spoon might booger up some of the feathers on the other lures, or at the very least all the lures will be a tangled mess when recieved.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

I hadn't actually read the lure box instructions prior to posting them.

After reading the instructions I find that I have many, many, questions to ask but fear of moderation has kept me in check.

JHAP, My hat is off to you! You are doing a Superb job on this.

I just wish I could find my little Mepps Spinner, killer on panfish and SMB. And would fit in a nice neat spot in your display. (And would probably catch all the fish )

I moved a year ago and my tackle box is missing

I'll keep looking, but I am thinking somebody swiped it during the move.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Like other things in my life I can be very quick. \:\)

Receive lures. Tie on Chartreuse Rooster Tail. Cast 2 times, 3 times max. Catch a still naive 2 year old, 14" LMB. Take picture. Back in mailbox the same day.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Jeff, I'll be happy to take a swing at keeping things coordinated. The only thing I'd ask is that people who want in on this just email directly - NOT THROUGH THE FORUM - to make it easier to track who is up and where the box happens to be located. I don't have any idea right now how I'll do it, but I'm happy to offer my help. Heck, it might give me a sound reason for telling my secretary that I can't do anything on a particular day because I'm busy doing work for the non-profit Jesse West Foundation as it's West Virginia adjunct liaison emeritus and that I have to spend time on the PB Forum to ensure smooth operation! Sounds like a good excuse, doesn't it?!

Let me know if that's acceptable.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
jhap, i'll put this reminder here so everyone can see it....

i sent you the two red duo lock light wire snaps. i would keep the rapala in its original box, and put the snaps in the box w/ the rapala. it should fit in yer nice wood box.

for those that dont know what a duo lock snap is, you tie it direct to line (clinch knot or whatever) and snap lure to it. makes for quick lure changeouts, its round shape allows full range of motion for lures and does not affect floatation. (its much easier and more efficient than a loop or rapala knot especially for quick lure change).

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

All right -- in my best Scanahoovian translation of Norsk to Svensk, to Suomi, to English, the box says:

Quote:
Special Notice
Severe Restrictions Apply in the State of California. Under no circumstances should these lures be used in proximity to waters with Green Sunfish!

But, if I just go from Norsk to English, it kind of translates out to this:

Quote:
Special Exclusive
This is an exclusive edition of the Special Classic with Laser Sharp hook in black platinum finish. The pattern is inspired by traditional trout flies, like Jungle Cock, Telemark King and the March Brown. The Hammer is a 2005 specialty with a hammer beat surface. This gives a longer cast and more sound in the water to attract fish.

I'm ready to take it on!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
And let me also suggest a couple of things if cool with the group:
* First come first served on reservations (Other than those who have already expressed a need for a particular date)
* We may want to consider allowing northerners the chance to schedule more towards the front of the schedule due to weather patterns (assuming this project ends up running clear through summer)

Just a thought. Also, forgot to share my email. Please use:
tlaneve@8777wvlaws.com

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
PM sent to Todd. If I haven't scared you off with the details then hopefully we have a new FOTL (Fellowhip of the Traveling Lure) Schedule Czar.

This is going to start soon folks so keep watching for an update.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
All right -- in my best Scanahoovian translation of Norsk to Svensk, to Suomi, to English, the box says:

Quote:
Special Notice
Severe Restrictions Apply in the State of California. Under no circumstances should these lures be used in proximity to waters with Green Sunfish!

\:D \:D \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tbar
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 05/01/24 07:02 AM
New pond stocking
by Snipe - 05/01/24 01:32 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:50 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/30/24 09:31 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/30/24 05:07 PM
Fish food
by LANGSTER - 04/30/24 03:11 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday