Originally Posted By: Todd3138
 Originally Posted By: The Pond Frog
I use a Stihl FS 450, a FS 90 is a toy compared to it. I have all the blades, grass, brush and scratcher. Use the double comfort harness and a hardhat, ear protection visor combo. I use a old Shindiawa 680 for anything to big for it. I really don't like using a chainsaw for brushcutting. Wrong tool for the job. When I am serious clearing I run through with the Stihl and waste everything, that is not a tree. Then I comeback with the chainsaw. I just have too much terrain for a tractor/dozer or anything but what I use.

No doubt the FS90 is small compared to a 450. It's been a great setup for me, though, and given that my use, and presumably TJ's, is not as frequent as yours (being a professional manager), it may well be overkill. But, I am also a fan of buying more than you think you'll need in virtually everything that I buy - stuff works a little easier and lasts longer because it's not working at max capacity all the time.

Yes, that I agree with 100%. You overwork equipment and or machinery it breaks prematurely. Or does not do an adequate job. I prefer the overkill method. If tools and or equipmant are used lightly, they may last a long time. However, I rarely use equipment lightly. There is also the how much is your time worth factor. When you use equipment that is rated above and beyond, it just works that much faster. But you hit the nail on the head. DYI vs. doing it as a profession are way different applications. To me the bottom line is, how often do you plan on using the equipment. And using the right equipment for what it is designed to be used for. Technically a FS90 is a professional use trimmer that can be used for brushcutting. A FS450 is a professional brushcutter. When a customer hires me, what do they expect?

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 03/15/10 11:14 PM.