Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,991
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (bmicek, nvcdl, jmartin, Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, FishinRod), 1,204 guests, and 569 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I have just the place to try one out. An unfished pond with 2 year old +- LMB , CNBG and RES. Dare I fish around a feeder with that frog.

Its all ok with me JHAP.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
....how about "legend of the pondboss brethren lures"

dont let me influence you though young man, you can name this yer original name......albeit on EXTREMELY RARE occassion i am man enough to admit i am entertained by a chick flick \:D but thankfully DWIED much prefers bruce willis, kurt russel, arnie, or sci-fi B movies, and/or watching lord of rings for the bazillionth time.

jhap, i might have a suggestion or two for lure choice on top of george's wonderful gutless frog, lets chat about it.

maybe we can start them out at our places when you come up in april.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Dave, that title does have a nice, piratey ring to it! Arrrrrgh!

Last edited by Todd3138; 03/15/10 02:43 PM.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'm willing to use a golden shiner at my pond, and then take it home and mail it to someone else so that they can use it at their pond.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
I'm willing to use a golden shiner at my pond, and then take it home and mail it to someone else so that they can use it at their pond.

Geez Sunil, those shiners have already traveled over 2500 miles before reaching you! Then again, after your HSB hammer them, they can easily fit flat in an envelope.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I wana play, too! Could be cool to find an old journal so each fisherman can write their story and add photos to it (kind of for nostalgia purposes)!I'm sure there would be some interesting entries...! \:\)

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Stick with the original name; I just loved that movie.

Great idea re: an old journal. Any old guys with journals out there? Any young guys or gals with old journals; is anybody there? the silence is deafening. jk. I hardly have caught enough fish lately for a journal. I bet young George has one.
Passed down, of course. One can always find what one asks for on the Pond Boss forum.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I have a neat one coming in from ebay that I wondered.... why did I buy this and what am I going to do with it? I'll see what it looks like in a few days!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

You would do that! Will the PO pick up or do you have to bring it in.

Remember, they ask you a lot of questions!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
There will be an odor for sure. Also remember, I spray crawfish YUM on all my shiners just prior to casting. So naturally, I am willing to spray some on the shiner just before I seal up the package. Not sure if that makes things better or worse though.

Several years back, after fishing, I threw my gear & bait bucket in the trunk of my car. I always just left my gear in the trunk all season long. It was a hot summer.

About (4) days later, I needed something out of my trunk. It was like hitting a brick wall of bad voodoo odor, real thick. I might have passed out for a few minutes. A shiner had got caught in the rim of the bait bucket.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Assuming we are using real lures, I'm in -- and as long as I get the lure before Sunil gets it.

Also remember, I spray crawfish YUM on all my shiners just prior to casting.

(I don't think I want to know what crawfish YUM is, and I'm sure I don't want to know how you get a crawfish to spray it.)

I can't suggest a good lure, but I sure can make lots of suggestions about lures that don't catch fish. I just need to post a photo of my tackle box.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Great idea re: an old journal. Any old guys with journals out there? Any young guys or gals with old journals; is anybody there?

My dad has kept a fishing and hunting journal since his teenage years. I used to love reading through it. Fro, when we lived on Long Island, NY it was neat to see how each fishing season was similar in when the different fish species migrated back north from their wintering grounds and when the last of each species was caught on their way back south.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I'd like to suggest a lure made by someone on the PB forum... I think that would be cool. I bend my own spinners and tie flies, but only in stream trout and musky sizes, nothing really in the LMB size range that most people would probably prefer.

I think that a single-hook, barbless spinner, somewhere around 1/5 ounce, size 1 or 2 hook, hammered nickel #2 colorado blade, and white dressing would be a general crowd-pleaser.

Last edited by txelen; 03/15/10 11:25 PM.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I'm in and I will cast about anything. I think it would be great to try something people use in another part of the country that I don't use up here. Sometimes the fun is just trying to make it work and see if I can catch something (as long as it is not a Banjo Minnow!).

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Definitely put one of George's concoctions in the box!
I think just one fish on the lure and thats it. Catch the fish, tell the story on the forum, post the pic, and send er on its way.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Also remember, I spray crawfish YUM on all my shiners just prior to casting.

You actually spray live fish with attractant? I think that's illegal in 11 states.

Wow I like the ideas people. I like the journal idea with some modification. I'd like the journal to be here on the website. We could track the traveling lures on a map. After the process ends I can print the journal and photos and bind them (I have a report binding machine) and the story journal will accompany the box of lures for the auction.

So far here's what I'm thinking. A box of three or four lures. Hopefully I can beg/cajole/con/persuade George out of one of his lures so we would have a "personal" touch to these lures.

I have found several wooden boxes that will fit the bill. The flat rate priority mail box to mail the wooden box of lures would cost about ten bucks. So for each person it would cost them the ten dollar mailing fee to participate.

Once a fish is caught, no matter how big or small, no matter what species, the session is done. Post the story, post the photo and mail it along.

To participate you must be willing to do the following:
1. Pay the $10 to mail the box to the next recipient.
2. Take a photo of the fish that is caught with the lure and write a story about the lure.
3. If you do not catch a fish within the allotted time frame then you must take a photo of you holding the lure box next to your pond and post your "skunked" story.

In honor of our senior statesman I'd like the process to begin with George. I reserve the right to have DIED and I be recipients on the list when it corresponds with a time that I will be at our pond property (probably late May).

I still need more lure input.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I'm a rookie here but I would like to get in on this. It sounds like alot of fun. My lure of choice here in Texas would be a simple spinner like maybe a rooster tail or an H & H spinner. My favorite is a black plastic lizard but it probably wouldn't work to well up north so my vote would be a spinner of some sort.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
You actually spray live fish with attractant? I think that's illegal in 11 states.

It is. That's why Roman Polanski's new roommate had to leave the country.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I like lures that are made from bits of real panther. When something is made from real panther, you know it has to be good.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Given that DIED recently caught a fish on a Condello Bullhead Lure I'm thinking that one of those might make it in the box as well.

How many did you send Dave.... I might have to liquor him up and "procure" a lure.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
I like lures that are made from bits of real panther. When something is made from real panther, you know it has to be good.

60% of the time it works ... every time....

Last edited by skinnybass; 03/16/10 11:52 AM. Reason: i'm not going to lie to you, bruce, that smells like pure gasoline.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
All joking aside, i think this thread is a great idea. Wish i had a pond to fish the lure in. Rock on, guys, rock on.

Last edited by skinnybass; 03/16/10 12:00 PM. Reason: It stings the nostrils....in a good way.

- -
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
No need to be counted out Skinnybass, pond ownership is not going to be a requirement. I'm sure that a fellow pond meister here will let you fish their pond. Illinois pond meisters? Off the top of my head I can't think of any reason to restrict this soley to pond owners or even being fished on private ponds. Feedback anyone?

Feed back also on the maximum length of time for holding the box of lures - it can't be too long or not very many people will get to play. I'm thinking 7 to 10 days.

Also this is not a contest of size of fish. The first fish you catch on any of the lures is "THE" fish. That will be part of the fun of this process (watch me snag hook a Gambusia, that'd be my luck). As soon as a fish is caught the lures move on.

Also I'm thinking "Fellowship of the Traveling Lure" for the name.

LATE BREAKING NEWS FLASH: (got a client coming in and my boss is getting mad at all this goofing off): JWHAP just procured the box. I'll post photos later. Suffice it to say that the box is very cool and will be able to be shipped for $10 bucks or so. In the end the box with the lures IMHO will be display quality.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
well, whatever the case, private or not, i think that the 7-10 day rule is a good one...but there should be some slack time for people who can't get out & fish in that time (work issues...etc).
Even as someone who might not participate, but is just excited to see all the lore of the traveling lure, i see why someone shouldn't sit on it for like a month.

As far as lure selection...hook me up with a white spinner & ship me up to my dad's house and i'll get as many tiny, ridiculously small bass as you would ever like to see!

as far as catching big ones...here in the mississippi bottoms lakes i have AWESOME luck with a gold & silver rat-l trap...and have had good hits with the same set of rat-lers (anywhere from 1" to 3", the cordell brand I grab by the fistful out of the bargain bins @ bass pro & cabellas) up north in WI/N. IL.

I feel your pain, JHAP....boss is eying me weird too.....back to the endless grind....maybe i can get out to the illinois river again this evening though....

- -
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Rat-L-Traps are always a good choice here.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt