Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, catscratch, Ponderific2024), 1,056 guests, and 153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#207542 03/10/10 11:21 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My main pond and my former trout pond are ice free as of today March 10. I have two production ponds that still have ice but I doubt it will last another day. It's refreshing to see open water again@

Anyone else?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Suhweet Cecil! Glad to hear you have open water...no 5 lb Brookie morts waiting for you I hope

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You had more ice on your pond than I did, and it left sooner. Probably 70% of my pond is still ice covered, but I'll bet it goes when the rain hits tomorrow.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Suhweet Cecil! Glad to hear you have open water...no 5 lb Brookie morts waiting for you I hope

Actually I'm out of the trout business for a while and my supplier tested positive for a virus anyway. If I raise trout again it will probably be in an RAS and they will be triploids.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Any news on the re-test?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Any news on the re-test?

I haven't heard anything. I'm a little confused about that anyway. In the same conversation John said he wasn't going to pay for a retest, and he was going to retest. I should have cleared that up but we started talking about other things.

Maybe you should call him?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I should. At least let him know how his babies are doing!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Cecil, where are all the male brook trout you were raising? Did you give up on them or you are just going to sell them off and be done with trout for a while?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil-My ice is SW MI is only about 1/8 off and I have already seen about 10 nice HBG dead and one LMB. Last year I only had about 10 total and I am starting to get worried-this is only the second year of my pond-should I be worried or is this normal? any ideas on how much % usually dies off during winter?

Thanks,

Dave

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Ice out here in central Indiana. Woke up Wednesday morning to open water. No floaters. Walked the banks and saw several big LMB pressing small BG into the shallows. Painted turtle sitting on a log. Life is good! Spring is awakening.

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
My main pond and my former trout pond are ice free as of today March 10. I have two production ponds that still have ice but I doubt it will last another day. It's refreshing to see open water again@

Anyone else?

Finally made it out to our farm yesterday for the first time in about a month and our small pond is totally ice free. I did not see any dead fish at all, so the initial signs are encouraging. The water is a bit muddy due to all the surface runoff from snowmelt, and outflow pipe is running strong, sending water to the big pond.

The big pond is still probably 75% covered, some of it appears to be reasonably thick still, too. It's much more shaded, though, and doesn't get nearly the same amount of direct sunlight in a lot of areas that the small one gets due to steep banks and lots of trees.

Pretty cool. We're supposed to be in for some rain the next several days, so we're certainly going to have a surplus of water. The cool thing is seeing all the potential for projects designed to enhance the ponds over time. This is our first year of ownership, so each season is showing us new things. Really cool!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Man am I jealous, it'll be a month yet before my ice is out. I was out ice fishing today and still have two feet of ice!

Gotta get back to fishin!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave J
Cecil-My ice is SW MI is only about 1/8 off and I have already seen about 10 nice HBG dead and one LMB. Last year I only had about 10 total and I am starting to get worried-this is only the second year of my pond-should I be worried or is this normal? any ideas on how much % usually dies off during winter?

Thanks,

Dave

How big is the pond?

Did you have a lot of snow on the ice?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Anyone else?

Finally made it out to our farm yesterday for the first time in about a month and our small pond is totally ice free. I did not see any dead fish at all, so the initial signs are encouraging. The water is a bit muddy due to all the surface runoff from snowmelt, and outflow pipe is running strong, sending water to the big pond.

The big pond is still probably 75% covered, some of it appears to be reasonably thick still, too. It's much more shaded, though, and doesn't get nearly the same amount of direct sunlight in a lot of areas that the small one gets due to steep banks and lots of trees.

Pretty cool. We're supposed to be in for some rain the next several days, so we're certainly going to have a surplus of water. The cool thing is seeing all the potential for projects designed to enhance the ponds over time. This is our first year of ownership, so each season is showing us new things. Really cool!

Life is good.

I saw a beautiful poster at the dentist today with massive beds of multicolored flowers. The caption said, "Spring is the way the earth says ""Let's party!"" Or something to that effect.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Blaine
Ice out here in central Indiana. Woke up Wednesday morning to open water. No floaters. Walked the banks and saw several big LMB pressing small BG into the shallows. Painted turtle sitting on a log. Life is good! Spring is awakening.

Good deal!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Cecil, where are all the male brook trout you were raising? Did you give up on them or you are just going to sell them off and be done with trout for a while?

All have been sold except for four or five. As soon as I contact a customer in Montana I'm sure they will be gone too.

Funny you ask about the trout. I thought I had killed them all with the potassium permanganate this fall, which are the ones I've sold except for about 11 that floated up just as the pond was icing over. They must have initially sank to the bottom.

Today I'm draining that pond down and I notice a large boil twice, most like a survivor or more chasing fathead minnows. It will be interesting to see how many are left in the next few days once the pond is completely drained.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/11/10 11:11 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

Do you think they'd survive in the big pond, or will the water get too warm?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

Do you think they'd survive in the big pond, or will the water get too warm?

No because I already tried it. My first experience with trout was in the big pond quite a few years ago. They croaked in late May. Of course they may have lasted a little bit longer without the diffusers.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
At least ten trout left in the trout pond I'm draining down! I had more trout than I thought! I was feeding them today. Can't see them though as the water is a very dark brown due to the weird algae bloom and or precipitate produced by the potassium permanganate. I'll post pics once I drain the pond completely down ina few days. One seems quite large judging by the boil he makes when he inhales a pellet. They all were probably feeding on feeding on fatheads into fall and winter.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/12/10 09:43 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
WITHOUT the diffusers - meaning, preserving the thermocline? Please elucidate...

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
WITHOUT the diffusers - meaning, preserving the thermocline? Please elucidate...

As you know the diffusers break up any thermocline and create a warmer more homogenous temperature in summer from top to bottom. Without the diffuers the trout would have lasted a little longer in the cooler deeper temps, but of course eventually those cooler depths would have run out of oxygen.

If I had a nickle for everyone that tells me trout would survive in their pond because it's deep I'd be a rich man. Very common fallacy.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/12/10 09:46 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
Thanks C...you verified my suspicion. What about Scott's [Esshup] pond with the heavy springs...can the temp keep low enough to sustain Summer trout?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks C...you verified my suspicion. What about Scott's [Esshup] pond with the heavy springs...can the temp keep low enough to sustain Summer trout?

Possibly if he has enough oxygen down there. However springs are devoid of oxygen initially...

A possibility to allow the survivability of trout in the hypolimnion, if it becomes depleted of oxygen in the summer, is hypolimnetic aeration. Either low enough of a level of diffusion to add oxygen, but not break up the thermocline, or you can inject pure oxygen. In one of the AES catalogs they show a pic of a trout club that does the former. The oxygen mechanism is housed in a small shed.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/12/10 11:52 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

Next time you're out this way bring your O2 meter. We can test the well water. The well screen is placed from 56' to 66' (extra screen was placed at the end of the well casing when I had the well drilled), and it's about 60 yds from the pond. The water table that we hit when renovating the pond started at 9' and continued down as far as we dug the pond.

I'm going to try and aerate the deepest part of the pond only during the coolest part of the night, hopefully that'll work. If not, then nothing is lost because they would have died anyway.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
Gotta try...I can't wait to see how you do, Scott. This is invaluable information for the forum - and a cool project period.

Aside: If one wants a DO meter they had better be willing to spend $600 on the YSI, correct? Man, that's STEEP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM