Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
t1mmbo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I have a pond on my property that is connected to a larger public pond by a narrow passage way. The pond is about 1/3 acre. It is only about 3 feet deep in some spots and about 7 feet in the middle. I want to stock this pond with trout and need advice. Should I close off the bigger pond, aerate and dye or just put screens up so the fish dont escape. I also have a big weed and smell problem. In the summer the water is brown with many lily pads and cattails. I just want the best approach so I am not throwing my money away to the bigger pond. I have never stocked it but have caught horned pout and perch. I have also seen some very large turtles and many frogs. Please help

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to PB!

Do you know how warm the water gets during the summer? Trout really don't like (i.e. they will die) water at or above 70*F. They need good water quality as well, with good levels of oxygen.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
t1mmbo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I have never checked the temp in the summer. Water quality will need to improve but I am not sure of the best way to do this. I want to aerate but my house is about 250 feet from the pond. Can I run a pump in my house and use tubing to the pond? Can this help with temperature control? Is pond dye helpful in weed control? Sorry about all the questions, just want to use money wisely.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
250' is no problem for an air line, just size it accordingly (bigger is better, with the most common air line being 1/2" i.d.)
The smaller the bubbles, the better that the aeration system works, (more water will be lifted and moved by smaller bubbles). There's an aeration sub-forum here, you will probably get more people that are aeration experts looking at it if you ask the aeration question again there.

It might help just running it during the coolest part of the day or night. Pond dye will help keep weeds from getting started if it's strong enough to keep the sunlight from getting to the weeds. The caveat of using dye is that it also limits the amount of photoplankton that can grow, which are the building blocks for life in a pond. We need to try and figure out what's causing the excessive weed growth. It could be from excess nutrients, excessive water clarity, etc. During the typical summer, how far can you see into the water?

Lily pads and cattails are some of the harder plants to eradicate, although it can be done with some work, and without having to spend a lot of $$.

Does this small pond have any water flowing into it, say from a pasture?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
t1mmbo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
During the summer I can see about a foot into the water at the edges. The only water flowing into it is from the bigger pond and runoff (one side is a steep cliff). Will blocking off the other pond help or hurt the situation? What about a one way check valve to allow my pond to stay full and not let my efforts seep into the other pond?

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
t1mmbo, welcome to the pond boss forum, if you could post some photo's of your pond especially from the warmer months it would help some of the experts give you good advice.
Unless you've got cold springs supplying water to the pond it's probably too warm for trout being only 7 ft deep, but you could get a thermometer with temp. probe and monitor it for the summer then you would be sure.
Blocking off the connection to the other pond sure couldn't hurt if you want to put money and time into stocking it. I would suggest putting in some forage this year like golden shiners and fathead minnows and work on the weed and water problems, then after the summer you might have a better idea what type of predator fish would be best for your needs.
Good luck and hang on for more suggestions.

T
t1mmbo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Hi, I have current pics but can not figure out how to post them

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Near the top of the forum page you will see "Common pond Q&A" , there's a link to posting photo's with lots of good info, I personally use Photobucket but there are others, good luck.

T
t1mmbo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Here is a recent pic of the pond. I can not come up with any summer pics. Heres my plan so far: I want to install an air pump in my basement and run air line to the pond, its about a 250' run. Not sure of the best diffusers to use or how many. I will also dye the pond once the ice is off and block off the other pond completely. I will start the aeration slow as I have read here. Once I get the aeration on a fixed night time schedual I will stock 35 brown trout and 25 rainbow trout. I am confidedent there is plenty of food already in the pond. It has been around longer than me or you. Please chime in and let me know if this plan is a sure failure or if I am on the right track. Thanks to a great forum.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
t1mmbo, your pond looks to be in a nice setting and the trees will help some for late afternoon shade.
Since your dead set on trout I would suggest connecting your aerator to a thermostat and keep it set to go on when the air temps go below the water temp., this could help keep pond temps down, and put your diffuser in about 4 ft. of water so you don't warm the deeper water. Bubble tubing might also be good for your shallow pond.
Since your pond is shallow with little cool water input it's gonna be a toss-up for trout, but every pond is different and it might work.
Another thing that might help is to add shade to your pond with islands, they can be made from sheets of styrofoam or other materials. A oxygen test kit will help you keep an eye on O2.

Here's the thermostat I use, Good Luck
http://www.amazon.com/WIN100-Heating-Coo...68438127&sr=8-1

Last edited by adirondack pond; 03/12/10 07:04 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images