Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fishingadventure), 481 guests, and 188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Picked up this product: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...h-box.jsp.form1

Marine Metal products super fish saver. (12V 500GPH)

I have some florida bass Im wanting to distribute to ponds. I plan on putting this in a large coleman cooler (twice the size as the standard ones).

Anyone use one of these? I'll be fishing for say 1-3 hrs then tranporting the fish to their new home whish is a 10min drive. Quesiton is, besides water temperature to monitor, do I leave the aerator on all the time or just turn it on for 15mins then let it sit for 30mins etc. Seems like i wouldn't run it non-stop. Also, how many 10-12" 1 lb fish would I put in a cooler like im talking about? I have never used one before and figure I better do it right the first time. Like i said the first fish that gets caught might stay in the box 2hrs before released again. I'll fill the cooler with lake water then run the aerator for a bit before I drop the first fish in.

Any advice, i'd like to know if this will work.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: chadwickz71
Picked up this product: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...h-box.jsp.form1

Marine Metal products super fish saver. (12V 500GPH)

I have some florida bass Im wanting to distribute to ponds. I plan on putting this in a large coleman cooler (twice the size as the standard ones).

Anyone use one of these? I'll be fishing for say 1-3 hrs then tranporting the fish to their new home whish is a 10min drive. Quesiton is, besides water temperature to monitor, do I leave the aerator on all the time or just turn it on for 15mins then let it sit for 30mins etc. Seems like i wouldn't run it non-stop. Also, how many 10-12" 1 lb fish would I put in a cooler like im talking about? I have never used one before and figure I better do it right the first time. Like i said the first fish that gets caught might stay in the box 2hrs before released again. I'll fill the cooler with lake water then run the aerator for a bit before I drop the first fish in.

Any advice, i'd like to know if this will work.

I would just let it run all the time to help degas all of the nasties out. Make sure you have it cracked open or a vent of some sort. Other than that, It really get's complex!

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I figure it can't be that bad as I can fill up my bait box on my boat here at the ranch with 15-20 bass and not even run the aerator on the box and the fish live for +/- our so this ought to be like a Hilton compared to that.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I figure it can't be that bad as I can fill up my bait box on my boat here at the ranch with 15-20 bass and not even run the aerator on the box and the fish live for +/- our so this ought to be like a Hilton compared to that.

Works for me

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Chadwickz71,

Ditto with what JKB said.

How big is "twice the size of a normal coleman Cooler?"

You could have plenty of oxygen but if the fish are crowded and beating each other up in too small a container, you may deal with other issues down the line. Skin abrasions can cause all kinds of problems.

Water temp?

And I would STRONGLY suggest adding noniodized salt at a rate of 3 to 4 3/4 teaspoons per gallon (0.5 percent to 0.8 percent). I usually go with the 0.5 percent but Rex (Rainman) has very good luck with 0.8 percent). Adding salt makes the world of difference on survival rates. When fish are stressed as in hauling, they lose their osmotic balance of salt and by adding the salt you make it easier for them to stay in balance, which is one less stressor to worry about.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/SALTTRANS.htm

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Chad this may not help but it will give you some more ifno. anyway. Just last week I took a 70 quart coleman cooler 92 miles with 50 CNB in it and they were 4 inches in length and they all made it just fine. I put 2 OTABS in the cooler just in case but i don't think I would have needed them. Anyway hope that helps. I think you should be fine for sure.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Double Ditto on what Cecil said!!

You probably won't go wrong bending an ear in this direction.

It is up to you!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: RC51
Chad this may not help but it will give you some more ifno. anyway. Just last week I took a 70 quart coleman cooler 92 miles with 50 CNB in it and they were 4 inches in length and they all made it just fine. I put 2 OTABS in the cooler just in case but i don't think I would have needed them. Anyway hope that helps. I think you should be fine for sure.

\:\)

Last edited by JKB; 03/07/10 06:31 PM.
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
When i posted what i see in my livewell on my boat, by all means im not transporting these fish. They go to the frying pan, so i don't worry to much about them, that was just what i'd consider harsh conditions.

What i meant about water temp is obviously lets not go throw the cooler in the hot sun all day.. thats all

One cooler I have is 150qt or 37.5gal. thats probably full to the gills so lets figure on 75% or that at ~28gal.
Cecil thats what 1.75 cups of noniodized salt if i figured right?

So leave the Aerator on all the time. This was my biggest question.

And a close second is how many i could move in this cooler. I'm thinking about a dozen at a time?

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I prefer the stainless models that agitate and aerate. Cabelas has them but kind of a rip off price. I use Westons, both 110 and 12v. I have 4. They supply way more oxygen and move the water around a lot better. But you have to make a rig to use them in an ice chest, I have two coleman ice chests your size also. One with a little pop up lid and another without. A better situation would be if you could keep your fish in something better then once you have enough load them all at once in the ice chest. I don't like keeping fish for hours in them. I also prefer moving smaller sized fish. Can move a lot more. So many things can go wrong, I have two of everything. Even deep cycles.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 03/07/10 08:47 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
When i posted what i see in my livewell on my boat, by all means im not transporting these fish. They go to the frying pan, so i don't worry to much about them, that was just what i'd consider harsh conditions.

What i meant about water temp is obviously lets not go throw the cooler in the hot sun all day.. thats all

One cooler I have is 150qt or 37.5gal. thats probably full to the gills so lets figure on 75% or that at ~28gal.
Cecil thats what 1.75 cups of noniodized salt if i figured right?

Yep 1.75 cups is close enough to 1.70 for a 0.5 % solution. If you wanted to go with a 0.8 % solution you could use 2.75 cups.

2.75 cups/0.8 % = x cups/0.5 % x = 1.70 cups

So leave the Aerator on all the time. This was my biggest question.

Absolutely. Be aware you're going to get some leakage out the lid/cooler interface etc., and some sloshing when you transport them down the road, but as long as it stays in the boat I don't see a problem with that. Been there done that, although I don't take fish out of other waters anymore for the pond, unless I send some off for testing first, and quarantine the fish until I get the results back. We may or may not have VHS in our public water here in the midwest. Plus I once added a few fish from a public body of water and within a couple of weeks had a bacterial problem in many of my bass. Fortunately it subsided.

And a close second is how many i could move in this cooler. I'm thinking about a dozen at a time?

I don't see a problem with a dozen 1 lb. bass at a time.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/07/10 09:10 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Cecil we run 1% salt all the time. It helps both with osmoitc and slime coat. Temp make a huge diff what you can do today and in mid summer at 85 degree temps not the same, so consider if trasfer later. Yes run all the time once you get a couple bass in the water. You will not get more than ~22 gallons of water in that cooler in the boat without spilling quite a bit. In this water temp with aerator and salt easy to hold those numbers of bass though.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I'll use the salt for slime. But like I said, if you had a tank on shore you could collect all of the fish in there and then just use the ice chest to move them all at the end. Do you have a livewell in your boat? You could set up a tank with your aerator in the shade on the shore, drop off a load once in awhile.

I am done moving fish in the Summer. When I hit triple digits I can lose an entire load in minutes. I'll even use okie ice bottles. So salt, max constant aeration and cool water, with a thermometer flaoting.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I was just using the boat as an example of harsh conditions for the fish I throw in the pan. Doesn't really have anything to do with my present question or situation.

What im doing:
The floridas im moving now are coming out of a .5 and 1 acre pond. I will fish off the shore and have this cooler on the shore in the shade at all times. Once i catch enough floridas i'll move them to the larger ponds in the area.

Hope this clears everything up.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
Cecil we run 1% salt all the time. It helps both with osmoitc and slime coat. Temp make a huge diff what you can do today and in mid summer at 85 degree temps not the same, so consider if trasfer later. Yes run all the time once you get a couple bass in the water. You will not get more than ~22 gallons of water in that cooler in the boat without spilling quite a bit. In this water temp with aerator and salt easy to hold those numbers of bass though.

Well if that works for you Greg that's fine but all the literature I read says not to go over 0.8 percent as that is the blood level of the salt in the fishes blood. Not disagreeing with you as you have a lot more experience than I do.

In combination with handling stress, salt concentrations 10 g/l (1.0%) or greater could be harmful to fish during live transport. Fish blood is a 9 g/l salt solution, higher concentrations in hauling water cause the loss of water from blood (osmosis) while salts from the transport solution diffuse into the blood. This could cause fish to become dehydrated. A 10 g/l salt solution is approximately 10% higher than blood (9 g/l) and could create a 10% dehydration during transport. It is generally accepted that a 10% dehydration can be lethal to most vertebrates. Therefore, it would be advisable to use transport solutions containing less than 9 g/l salt. An 8 g/l sodium chloride solution matches blood sodium content and is slightly lower than 9 g/l; preventing dehydration and shock by keeping kidneys active and salt loss low.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
chadwickz71, I did the same thing with this http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Livewell_Pumps-RULE_PORTABLE_LIVEWELL_AERATOR_KIT.html and the fish did fine. This model doesn't require any mods to your ice chest.I don't know if the one you got requires mods or not. The water stayed very cool during the Texas summer for the 2-3 hours the fish were held..I did convert the battery clips to a plug-in the dash 12V source..du

Last edited by david u; 03/08/10 08:00 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: david u
I did convert the battery clips to a plug-in the dash 12V source...

Dave,

I do the same with my fish hauling tank and my Freshflow aerator. I got tired of worrying if the battery was holding up, and subsequent batter changes on a long trip. I do bring at least one battery as a back up in case something goes wrong but I haven't needed it yet.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks for all the info guys.

DU, what GPH is the rule unit you have. Mine is just like that but has a little different setup and a 500gph pump.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
chadwickz, the Rule pumps 460GPH..good luck..du

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Moved 15 FLA LMB 7-9" and 1 over 12" I should have let go but I promised a retired neighbor one fresh bass for he and wife for dinner. Used a 20 gal Weston bait tank they were in a good two hours. No salt, no floaters. Blue Fox, could have taken 30 as they were hitting every cast but saving some for future and really don't like overcrowding them for travel.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:24 PM