Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus), 746 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm seeing a flurry of muskrat activity as the pond ice melts and the dog killed one the other day. Good doggy!

Anyway a couple of holes and runs I've set conibears in front of seem quite large for muskrats. One of them was tripped with no muskrat. Sure hope they aren't beavers as I've had them visit before but they usually get hit out on the highway.

Would muskrats make larger holes for any reason?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/08/10 10:14 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
They get bigger the more you feed 'em!

Are you talking actual hole size, or the width of the run? How much bigger are you talking about?

This is about the time of year that the 2 year olds are kicked out of the lodge. The kits from last year will stay in the lodge one more year, but older siblings are getting the boot. It could be one or more of them.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup

Are you talking actual hole size, or the width of the run? How much bigger are you talking about?

Hole size is bigger. They appear to be 8 to 10 inches in diameter.

This is about the time of year that the 2 year olds are kicked out of the lodge. The kits from last year will stay in the lodge one more year, but older siblings are getting the boot. It could be one or more of them.

Scot,

Is there anything you aren't knowledgeable about or can't do?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dwight

Aquatic badgers?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Aquatic badgers?

With flat tails!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Very well used runs are sometimes wider. I've used 160 and 220 size Connibear type traps in those situations before. I've heard of a situation where someone placed a 220 in front of an extra large diameter muskrat hole and caught an extra large muskrat that looked just like those pictures of river otters. It couldn't been one of those though. They're protected like herons and commorants.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Yeah, I can see how someone could mistakenly identify one under those conditions.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Originally Posted By: Rangersedge
...extra large muskrat that looked just like those pictures of river otters. It couldn't been one of those though. They're protected like herons and commorants.

Man, I gotta quit spittin' coffee on me keyboard. It just ain't gonna take that kinda abuse forever.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

T
Lunker
Lunker
T

Patently false. There are never any 2 year old siblings. No such thing. Muskrats can have up to 5 litters per season. And the mother will kill the latest siblings if she is ready to drop another and they are still around. In two years should could conceivably be on her tenth litter. Siblings leave after they are weaned, and on vegetation, normally 20-30 days.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 03/12/10 06:44 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Rangersedge
Very well used runs are sometimes wider.

I going with that explanation. Makes the best sense to me.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I'll give you same advice as other mystery hole critter thread. Get yourself some muck or fine mud and lay it in front of one of the larger holes. Anything in or out of that hole will leave a track. Muskrat tracks are fairly distinctive. And they normally have hidden entrances, like beavers, even underwater, where most of them are. They also have dining chambers besides their dens. Those are more above water lines and more frequently found by dogs and predators. My favorite muskrat is one with a red dot on his head.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: The Pond Frog

Patently false. There are never any 2 year old siblings. No such thing. Muskrats can have up to 5 litters per season. And the mother will kill the latest siblings if she is ready to drop another and they are still around. In two years should could conceivably be on her tenth litter. Siblings leave after they are weaned, and on vegetation, normally 20-30 days.

Hmmmmmmmmm...... I thought a young / baby of a muskrat is called a 'kitten, nestling, pinkie, or pup'. The females are called 'doe' and males 'buck'.

A young / baby of a American beaver on the other hand is called a 'kit, kitten, or pup'. An American beaver group is called a 'family or colony'.

So, you're saying that there are no 2 year old kits?

I also thought that beavers built lodges, and muskrats built houses. Beavers that tunnel into the edge of rivers, streams and other BOW's are called bank beavers.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Badgers appear to be adapting to their changing environment with flattening tails and increased lung capacity. Algorec scientists have documented a few badgers with tiny gill slits and many more with shortening toenails and small webs forming between their toes.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Badgers appear to be adapting to their changing environment with flattening tails and increased lung capacity. Algorec scientists have documented a few badgers with tiny gill slits and many more with shortening toenails and small webs forming between their toes.

That only happens at Lake Wobegon.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
My favorite muskrat is one with a red dot on his head.

+ 1

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I don't care what you call them, baby muskrats are weaned and usually out of the den in 30 days. They may overwinter if they are the last litter before then. Your 2 year old sibling is adult size at 200 days. They are sexually mature at 1 year. Which would mean in my book they are reproducing adults. So, there is no such thing as a 2 year old kitten, is there?

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 03/12/10 09:51 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hey it's different in Kalifornia isn't it? Ask JHAP.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
So, there is no such thing as a 2 year old kitten, is there?

Oh heck they get older than that!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't care what you call them, baby muskrats are weaned and usually out of the den in 30 days. They may overwinter if they are the last litter before then. Your 2 year old sibling is adult size at 200 days. They are sexually mature at 1 year. Which would mean in my book they are reproducing adults. So, there is no such thing as a 2 year old kitten, is there?

Nope, no 2 year old kittens. (oops, I take that back. Cecil showed me the error in my ways.) But, if Cecil had a 2 year old "muskrat" that had a tail that was flattened horizontally rather than vertically, that might account for a larger than normal run and hole in the bank.

Last edited by esshup; 03/12/10 10:11 PM. Reason: Cecil proved me wrong

www.hoosierpondpros.com

T
Lunker
Lunker
T

Nope, no 2 year old kittens. (oops, I take that back. Cecil showed me the error in my ways.) But, if Cecil had a 2 year old "muskrat" that had a tail that was flattened horizontally rather than vertically, that might account for a larger than normal run and hole in the bank.

Out in the wild they are lucky to live to the old age of three. A lot less than that if I see them. A pond managers nightmare. I have to remove a ton of cattails from a pond that has no muskrats because they might visit there and reproduce. At least that is what the CA dam inspector says. That is my work tomorrow. And beta test a cattail and bulrush cutting head from Jenson Lake Mower. The only thing I know that is horizontal rather than vertical is on Asian women. But then this thread is about about muskrats not beavers.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday