Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,058
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, Ron crismon, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake), 656 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#206668 03/04/10 08:14 PM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Anyone have a particular buzzbait style, size, or color they like for pond fishing? Any special tricks? My favorite is a 1/4 oz in white, single bi-wing blade with or without a clacker depending on the breaks. The only thing I change is trimming the skirt to the bend of the hook which seems to help on short strikes and make sure the hook is deadly sharp. Cast them with a 6ft pistol grip M to MH rod with a 6.3 ratio baitcasting reel and 20lb braid. I have spring fever!

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Stick, I always have a buzzbait tied on one of my rods. I like the 3/8 to 1/2 oz., white, white/chartruese, or black with a single blade. I always use a trailer hook. I have taken a tooth pick and put a small amount of battery acid on the wire were the blade rotates, and I have tied the lure to my antenna on the drive to the lake, both seem to make the bait have more of a squeal that seems to attract the bass. Typically the bass you catch on a buzz bait seem larger. I always try it on a cloudy day, when it they are own it, it is awesome.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Since my pond is only about 3/4 acre, I find that my fish learn real quick about hazards to their lives.

Natural baits, and very natural-looking and natural smelling baits, are the only things that regularly trick my fish.

My fish seem to learn very quickly that buzz baits, spinners, and other non-smelly, non-life-like baits, just aren't worth attacking.

They are real suckers for live pollywogs, minnows, worms, crickets, etc.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I agree with Ken, a number of the ponds I fish are smaller and see a ton of pressure. Fishing a buzzbait in them would be a waste of time.

However, when I fish bigger less heavily fished ponds, I used the Booyah Pond Magic Buzzbait a good bit last year and I liked the smaller size. The hooks come super sharp right out of the packaging. The one time I have found I can catch heavily fished for bass in small ponds on a buzzbait is at night using all black buzzbaits. If you have never night fished, give it a try this year. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Since I work the night shift, I do it a lot these days and have been very impressed with the results and the solitude if fishing a public lake.

CJBS2003 #206718 03/05/10 05:00 AM
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
My experience mirrors Kens and I also don't have large ponds. I find that small, non obtrusive, quiet, lures work the best. I even use non weighted 4 to 6 inch worms.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah too am in the small pond situation. I use a 2.5 inch jointed black and silver rapala and they LOVE IT!!! It much more natural to them and my water is quite clear. Now if I am fishing on a lake I use 1/4 to 3/8 ounce buzz baits with a triple blade either white or yellow. I like the triple blade as they seem to get up on the water quicker in the first couple of feet. At least they do to me.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #206755 03/05/10 11:31 AM
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
I love the dollar-buzz from the discount rack at WalMart. I dunno. When i first got into angling i pretty much exclusively fished with dollar-spins and dollar-buzzes. Lame, i know, but i hit them pretty hard with a dollar-buzz.

I second the black jointed rapala though...I get mad action on a lil black jointed deally i picked up last year.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I find that the 1/8 oz buzzbait by Booyah works very well. I have caught the two largest bass on it from my lake, both over 7lbs. If you haven't tried them, do it this year. You might be suprised. All of the colors seem to work. It is a rather subtle presentation for a buzzbait and is very effective.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I like the small booyah as well mainly becouse all my bass are small; also like a gary yammomoto 3" senko rigged texas style w/no weight it seem to work real good in summer and fall

GOPACK #206797 03/05/10 06:04 PM
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I always have a least one rod rigged with a buzzbait when fishing the pound. A buzzbait moving slowly through choppy water and/or around emergent plant life and/or before a storm and/or on a bright sunny day (etc) can be deadly on big LMB and NP as well.

Live bait is not allowed in Bremer Pond other than ice fishing season.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight #206803 03/05/10 07:24 PM
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
Live bait is not allowed in Bremer Pond other than ice fishing season.

Dwight, possibly a silly question or one you've answered before even. But why allow during the ice fishing season? Is it simply because it's much more difficult to have success under the ice without live bait? I understand why you don't allow live bait during open water season, and I just assumed that precaution carried over to hardwater season as well.

Omaha #206814 03/05/10 09:31 PM
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
 Quote:
Dwight, possibly a silly question or one you've answered before even. But why allow during the ice fishing season? Is it simply because it's much more difficult to have success under the ice without live bait? I understand why you don't allow live bait during open water season, and I just assumed that precaution carried over to hard water season as well.

Actually that is great question!

Fish caught on live bait in the winter are generally mouth hooked. Their metabolism is low as is there aggression level. They see an easy meal and close their lips over it. The water is cold so the chance of infection is also low. Mortality is low.

Fish caught on live bait in the summer are hooked deeply and possibly gut hooked. Their metabolism is high as is there aggression level. They attack and attempt to swallow immediately. The water is warm so the chance of infection is high. Mortality is high.

No treble hooks are allowed on Bremer Pond, either.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails