Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Home Depot and Lowes will take warped ones back, so don't mess around with any of them.
...ever use this thing? If you're unsure, read the reviews on Amazon. I just ordered my Bowrench .

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Brettski,
If you hadn't signed your post, I would have thought I wrote it myself. I was not even going to consider PT wood for my dock, until I saw the price. It's 4X the price! So I am going to use PT as well. There is a wood protection product sold at Sherwin Williams called Deckscapes. It has been highly recommended to me by several painters. It is water based, and it's not cheap, but the money saved not buying plastic justifies the cost, especially if it is as good as I have heard. Look HERE

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
Lunker
Lunker
After 17 years, we are finally figuring on putting the deck on the back of our house this year. Currently we are contemplating using TimberTech , which is a wood-fiber-and-plastic composite. IIRC SOP is to install this material as decking over a regular treated lumber frame. One of their alleged benefits we are after is the ability to water-proof (and bug-proof) the top deck of a two-story structure.

The owner of the local lumber yard carrying the stuff is one of the neighbors that we actually get along with (lumber yard owners seem less upset by logging) and we will have to go next door and check out the Timber Tech deck on his house - it's been up a few years now.

Their "Docksider" planks are designed for 24" center-to-center supports.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
"The owner of the local lumber yard carrying the stuff is one of the neighbors that we actually get along with (lumber yard owners seem less upset by logging)"

Theo,
Do your other neighbors use plastic toilet paper?

I personally support sound logging practices of a renewable and sustainable resource.

Ed

Lunker
Lunker
They probably use a bidet. ("It's for washing off your backside!")

Ed, we had a couple of them complain that when they bought their property, there were woods next door, and then we had them logged. \:\(

We replied that when we bought our place, there was another farm next door, then they put in a subdivision. :p

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
DONE DEAL

Green treated 2 x 6 x 8' and 16'. I'll plan for installation over Memorial Day...I hope. That'll give 'em some time to dry out a bit. In the meantime, they will stay packed up tight to see if that helps to alleviate twist and bow while they cure.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Memorial Day??? That's like over two months away.

Brettski, please try and bear down to get your project done. No need to idle around wasting time.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Classic Sunil, just classic.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
At first glance, I thought the stack of wood had been delivered by a fork lift as it came off the truck. Then I noticed that you have it stacked with spacers between the boards to allow air circulation. Very nicely done!!!

I bet you got yourself a nice workout moving all the lumber around!!! And in a few months you get to load it up and move it again!!!!!

Keep us updated as I'm really interested in the results of your air drying/stacking method.

Thanks,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
Lunker
Lunker
Nothing says Love like Lumber. Keeping it strapped together should help cut down on warping.

I thought it was "as delivered" too, Eddie - I had to go back to see the shipping bands had been replaced with nylon strapping.

-S. M. Stirling
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Theo:

I installed TimberTech (tongue and groove version) on our front porch 5 years. It was WAY expensive and terribly heavy...however, it was one of the best decisions I made in our remodel project. I'm kind of a slob and tend to track lots of "stuff" around. Spring and fall...2 gallons of bleach in a hand sprayer, soak it well, wait 20 minutes or so and hose it off. VOILA...brand new looking, all over again. It's also absolutely arrow straight, and stays that way.

It does fade, to a very light gray/brown color, but it works incredibly for us. ABSOLUTELY no sag, give or anything on 16" treated 2x8 joists. I also considered it on my floating dock, but the price and weight were a bit much.

BTW..for anyone considering using EBTys on treated 2x6 decking, better reconsider. Without a fastener in the middle, the boards will tend to warp upwards (cup) in the middle. I'd at least use one (SS) screw in the middle of each board at each joist. Been doing construction long enough to know that this will be necessary.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Clark:
It does fade, to a very light gray/brown color, but it works incredibly for us.
What color did you install?

-S. M. Stirling
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Theo...5 years ago, it was only available in 1 color, a light brown/tan. Maybe it's in more colors now, but as it's plastic, it WILL fade, regardles of what they tell you. Eventually, most any color (other than pure white, as titanium dioxide negates nearly all UV light fading) will end up it's natural shade of light gray, nearly white.

I can take some photos if you'd like to see what it looks like now, 5 (hard) years down the road...

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

Lunker
Lunker
IIRC it comes in red, brown or grey now. I'm hoping for low maintenance, as I hate fixing anything except dinner for fish and fish for dinner.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
4-07 Update
We are well into spring and the pond is quickly creeping up the shoreline as it stretches for the spillway pipe. My laundry list of improvements for the project is still long and alot of the jobs need to be completed before the water arrives. This includes the last pour of the launch. We are thankful that this one is small compared to the other two 31' long pours. This slab is only 8 ft long x the 12 ft width.

-
-
We just unloaded the fish delivery and moved right into tying rebar.

This last pour will require barely 2 yards. The concrete company del's 3 yards min for no dely charge. Less than that, add $75 dely. Heck, a yard costs 80 some odd bux. I gotta come up with another use for another yard of concrete....or more. Is it time to start the 16' x 24' shed???

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Yeak Brettski, you gotta find someplace to pour that last yard...can't pay something for nothing. I've even laid out ladder-type forms and just poured blocks to toss in the pond for structure...but a yard would make a helluva lot of them...

Any place you might want to set a bench or something out there, in the future? \:\(

Lunker
Lunker
You could always put in a sidewalk to where the dock begins.

-S. M. Stirling
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Right now, I'm considering putting a "sidewalk" sort of pad down near the bridge. Got several older folks that love to fish, but can't stand for long. Even though the slope seems relative minor to me (maybe 5:1) it's hard for Al to sit in a lawn chair there...42"x10 foot pad would be ideal for him and wifey's gramma...we drive right to it, anyway, and it's be nice for them.

Just another thougt...

Lunker
Lunker
A good thought, Matt. Flat, no erosion spots for lawn chairs can seem like a God send.

-S. M. Stirling
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
It never really crossed my mind until this past Saturday...older folks deserve the absolute best. Al and Geneva have earned it, along with others who may show up over time.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I like Theos idea. Old folks really don't like muddy walkways to the dock.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Brettski,

Anything new with the boathouse? I remember you bought a load of lumber, and I'm trying to be patient, but it must be nice weather there now!!!

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ed-man...so glad ya asked.
The plan was to get into decking the piers and deck over Memorial day. So far, this remains the plan. I have been monitoring the "air-dry bunk". The top pieces have shown some twist and camber, but I expected that since they have minimal top support to hold 'em back. I had hoped the bands would loosen some as the lumber shrunk. I have had to tighten the bands a little, but it wasn't like losing 15# and having to pull your belt over 1 more notch. The balance of the bunk still looks good. I wonder what's gonna happen when I pop 'er open. Might be time to open that Alpine ski shop.
I wrestled and researched the markets for the method I want to employ for securing them to the joists. The goal continues to be invisible fasteners. I thought I was sold on the Eb-Ty fasteners, then I found Lumber loc . They were cheaper and appear to be similar in composition and application. In fact, I called the home office and they sent me a couple of samples. I just can't see a plastic composition fastener as long term and secure for treated lumber. So, just as I was about to start preparing for some commitment, Menards sends me a big ol' sales flyer with a decking section. Whoa...there it is! Tiger Claw, type TC2 . I did some quick due diligence, price shopping, and Tiger Claw from Menards wins. Oh yeah, and they have all their SS fasteners on sale, too. Bingo; 700 pc of TC2 fasteners + screws, ready for installation. Oooo boy.

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Where do you Brettski get the time for all these projects. You must only work one day a week! That pond is shaping up pretty good. Great to see it filled and taking shape.

Gotta get back to fishin!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
Memorial Day??? That's like over two months away.

Brettski, please try and bear down to get your project done. No need to idle around wasting time.
...bz, would you please talk to Sunil for me? Thanks in advance.
-
ps; I should warn you that he can bench press some unGodly amount of beer, or something like that. Also, he has a big, mean friend name Fatay.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?