Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,109
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
7 members (Boondoggle, jbird5986, Angler8689, FishinRod, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Deancutler), 746 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
If you're in the Dallas area, the Alum and Gypsum are available at Southland Farm Store near Love Field. They also take care of my fish food needs.

Working hard so others don't have to.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks GeorgeS; do you have to order it in advance or do they keep it in stock? What kind of prices are we talking about?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
O
Fingerling
Fingerling
O
Can aluminum sulfate be mixed with hydrated lime prior to making the slurry of 10 parts water to 1 part alum/lime mix so as to prevent the pH swing caused by adding them to the pond separately?

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Man what a diff. We kept pH above 5 ppm. okie we mixed hydrated with alum but quickly changed our mind on that it did not go into solution as easily. We just poured it straight out of bag behind boat since we were just using it as buffer. The alum we mixed in tub with water at close to 8 to 1 and mixed with paddle then used motor to spray out until we broke a pipe then simply poured slurry into prop of trolling motor wash.

Visibility went from 8 inches to 18inches in about three hours of doing the job. Client called this morning 36 inches and I hope it may be clearer by tommmorrow. We used 4 bags alum 2 bags hydrated lime for a 0.38 acrepond avg depth of 6 feet. I plan to fertilize the pond next week to build back some phytoplankton. Thanks for everyones advice especailly rainman since I used his contact for purchase.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
It was my pleasure Greg! I had the time and knew where to look.

BTW Greg, You've got sitter services again at the conference.

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
hello! I am totally new here and have joined as I am at a loss of acquiring Ponder Pond clarifier. I have had my pond dug to make it larger to house Rainbow trout. I have yet to pick up said trout as my pond looks like coffee with lots of milk from the clay particles suspended. It has been a week and it is still the same clarity. My question is this, How safe is alum for Rainbow Trout? Should I wait a couple weeks before I stock my pond? This is all depending on whether or not I can even get Alum. Any information would be totally appreciated. I am afraid that without a clarifier it will not clear as they have not even begun to settle after a week.
Thank you in advance! Super great pictures of your pond clearing!
Thank you so much in advance!
Dianne

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Dianne, welcome to the forum... Always good to welcome another neighbor from the north.

If you don't get the answer you're looking for here, you may want to start your own separate post which may get more eyes looking at and give it more likelihood of your question being answered.

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
Certainly! Thank you! \:D

Lunker
Lunker
GUys you talk about spraying the alum slurry into the pond> How do you go about doing that?

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
3.5, I use a boomless sprayer. It is slow but very effective. Others have used trash pumps with a nozzel by reducing down the outlet to raise pressure if the ENTIRE surface can be sprayed. You'd have to lug the pump and hose around a lot though.

Lunker
Lunker
Rainman, I would have to move the pump from one side of the pond to the other. Lot of work but willing to do that. Put 160# of gypsum in the pond three weeks ago in the prop wash of a trolling motor. Saw it two days later, no change. Going up this weekend and hope to see better results. We let you know. Thanks for the info

Lunker
Lunker
Folks,back again. No rain and three weeks after adding the gypsum to the pond has still left it "milky" looking. I was so hoping to clear it up prior to adding fish but have I waited too late in the summer to add BG, FHM, RE and so forth. Temps in Livingston are hitting 100F.
When I originally did the A&M test with the gallon of water it said 280# but hat got my sample water cyrstal clear. Am I thinking wrong that if my water is that clear do I stand more of a chance for WT buffet?? Need some help, maybe I am over thinking this thing.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I know this is an old topic but, I have a pond that is approx 11,200 sq. ft. on the surface and about a 5 ft av. depth. I did a jar test with 1 gal. of water and 1 tbls cleared it in about 8 hours. How much alum would be needed? Also, would applying it from a small boat by dumping it in the motor wash work?

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Mixing the alum into a slurry in a 5 gallon bucket first before pouring into the propwash will work better. Be sure to add 50% of HYDRATED lime seperately to keep the PH from dropping much.

As you only have about 1.3 ace/ft of water, I'd suggest 100 pounds of alum and 50 pounds of hydrated lime. If it doesn't clear in 24 hours, add 50 more pounds of alum, Hy Lime could be optional on the second app.

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: 3 1/2 acres
Folks,back again. No rain and three weeks after adding the gypsum to the pond has still left it "milky" looking. I was so hoping to clear it up prior to adding fish but have I waited too late in the summer to add BG, FHM, RE and so forth. Temps in Livingston are hitting 100F.
When I originally did the A&M test with the gallon of water it said 280# but hat got my sample water cyrstal clear. Am I thinking wrong that if my water is that clear do I stand more of a chance for WT buffet?? Need some help, maybe I am over thinking this thing.

3.5, I'm sorry I missed this post! The goal when clearing a pond of colloidal clay turbidity shoud be crystal clear water by removing ALL suspended solids. If your water has any fertility at all, a bloom will begin almost immediately, often as the water clears from top to bottom. You want he desired clarity, normally from 18-30 inches, to be from a bloom, never from turbidity.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Thanks Rainman! . I was close on my estimate but after looking at about a dozen different equations, my head hurt! I'll give it a shot this weekend and let you know how it came out.

Ronald Reagan

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I re-did my jar test a couple of weeks ago the way it was supposed to be done and found that the jar with the 3 tbls of the solution cleared in about 24 hrs. This weekend I added 300 lbs of alum by first mixing a 50 lb bag in 35 gal of water and spraying it out onto the pond. I couldn't get all around the pond but covered alot of it. After 3 days, i can't tell if it has cleared much at all. Will this method of application work??
Thanks for all the help!!

Ronald Reagan

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I've added some before and after pics. the before is right after I bought the place and the after is recently. I can't tell much difference in the water clarity. it was only about 4 ft deep, now it's about 12 ft average. I'm not sure about loading the pics but let's see what happens.

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af129/bmncool1/?action=view¤t=IMG_0058.jpg

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af129/bmncool1/?action=view¤t=IMG_1148.jpg

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af129/bmncool1/?action=view¤t=IMG_1149.jpg

Ronald Reagan

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Cisco, it is funny the way alum works; it seems it is either all or nothing. Once you get the right amount, it will clear up in 2-3 days. Not knowing where Cisco is; maybe the hill country? As Rainman suggested, every time you use alum, use 1/2 as much quick lime. You may have a high enough ph not to need to. I bet the 300# will clear it this week. Nice looking pond, ans especially the covered dock.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I know they get a lot of caliche rock(calcium carbonate) over by Cisco,Tx so would think the pH would be rather high. Cisco, have you tested your water? You may have to add Alum without any lime? Not sure of the effects of a very high pH on Alum's ability to floc out the suspended clay...du

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Thanks for the replies. I have not tested the water but i will this weekend. Birger, Cisco is about 30 mi east of Abilene. most of the caliche is quite abit south of me but there is probably some there. I do have another unrealate question, is it too late to stock FHM and BG? I'm hoping the pond fills to full pool this spring and was planning on stocking LMB in the early summer.
Again, thanks for the help, I'm new to this so i have a lot of questions. I just got the Magazine! This is a great Website guys, keep it up.

Ronald Reagan

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
After last weekend, the pond has cleared up a bit. I can see about12-18 inches deep now. I did put in 500 BG, 250 RES and about 10 lbs of FHM. I'm hoping to get a good enough spawn to support the LMB I'm putting in in the spring. I may have to add some more Alum but as long as it clears up some, I'll be happy.

Ronald Reagan

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
If a jar of my turbid lake water clears by itself sitting on a shelf in one week, does that show I do not have clay turbidity?
Does it mean I just have physical disturbance ie. aeration currents, bullhead cats, grass carp and or wind problems in my 2 acres pond?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I would guess it's something other than turbidity Skoag but the others on here will give you a much better idea. My pond stayed so muddy for so long I thought it was the catfish so i caught most of them out. It still stayed muddy. Somebody will here will give you a better answer.

Ronald Reagan

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Has anyone ever used liquid aluminum sulphate? I found a distibutor that sells it this way in addition to powdered

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails