Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,089
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS), 747 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Burger,

I never left the site to do that.

It ONLY works with GOOGLE CHROME as your web browser.

Firefox and IE DO NOT have the option.

Plus, there are a million silly to serious things you could add to your post.

I have not been successful, but have been trying to get a "James Bond" type cartoon redhead wearing GSF Scales (all very tasteful), that could be the Natasha counter intelligence agent for the GSA. Gotta love the accent! and who needs Borris at this point. Yeah, James Bond

Last edited by JKB; 02/23/10 10:12 PM.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm sure JHAP could help you out with the details. Anything to promote the GSA.
I gotcha about the diff web browsers capabilities.

My point was to gripe(who, me?) about not being able to even upload to photobucket anymore. In earlier times, you just went to your album, the option 'upload' was there. Click it, it opened your pictures folder on my docs. and you clicked the photo you wanted to upload. If you have an account, try it. It is not the same anymore.
Same thing with any web site. I cant even pay my ATT Uverse acct. balance. Cant find a link to open the invoice. Links say like'manage my acct' but just want to sell more junk.

I can vouch for the merits of the Eastern European honeys. I had to struggle to stay focused repairing an HF SSB Transmitter the other day on a Latvian ship; with a 20 something 3rd mate(female) long dirty blond, capri pants, tight sweater, etc., in charge of the radio station. Strange, she was very interested in my troubleshooting techniques.

It's a curse.

Last edited by burgermeister; 02/23/10 10:19 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I suppose there is nothing more alluring to a lady than ground beef.

You are the burgermeister.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
cheezboorger, cheezboorger, cheezboorger...
no fries, cheeps

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
no fries, cheeps

\:D

And it is only Tuesday

Last edited by JKB; 02/23/10 10:39 PM.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
no fries, cheeps

No coke; Pepsi.

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
mea culpa. a thread that has so much content about hijacking, so the hijacking begins.

you guys are awesome. Now i get to comment on this part to. I love it. the hijacking should not stop. the humor and bantering offered therein is what makes the personalities and friendliness of those involved stand out, and shows how much of a family atmosphere is really a part of this forum.

i understand the point, though, of wanting to find info easier without a green sunfish discussion every six posts. What i don't understand is that i tried to bait the GSF people like 8 times this thread, and nobody hit the lure. i must smell funny or something. anywho...

personally i think the publication of easy-access information elsewhere on the site will make the commonly sought info easy to research, while allowing the hijackers to continue hijacking to their hearts content and our mutual amusement.

I think i have covered everything at this point, right? let's see:
-SEO
-i don't shut up
-i smell funny
-SEO
-No paid forum
-SEO
-I don't shut up
-oh yeah, i'm always in front of a computer and would prefer a digital copy of the mag. my dad though, who i got the subscription for, would prefer print.

Last edited by skinnybass; 02/24/10 02:04 AM. Reason: the GSF made me do it, again.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
For anyone who doesn't like photobucket. Tinypic is an option. It requires no membership.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister

I copied it to my pics. I opened photobucket. I spent 15 minutes fartin' around on the site; never saw the previously easy to find "upload" option. WAY to convoluted of a site for me now.
Any suggestions for another site, or how to upload pics now?
I mean, I never found it!

See Posting Photos with Picasa.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
thanks, ya'll. I will try others.

"What i don't understand is that i tried to bait the GSF people like 8 times this thread, and nobody hit the lure. i must smell funny or something. anywho...

Dont awaken a sleeping giant.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Bob, I'm not going into the business part of your question but only about increased readership and participation.

I do know there is a connection between the PondBoss Forum and the Texas Fishing Forum, where I sometimes participate.
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

It’s cluttered but well organized. I ignore all categories except fly fishing, ponds and fish species topics. I believe that our PB forum could be organized in such a manner.
There is a lot of advertising but doesn’t causes me a problem.
PondBoss ad is a very eye-catching.

My $.002 cents worth.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have not been able to find a forum for landowners wanting to share ideas on developing wildlife habitat on their land, not only for hunting and fishing, but also for non-game animals. Perhaps this presents a business opportunity for this site to expand? More visitors means potentially greater advertising revenue. Just a thought...

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: skinnybass
i understand the point, though, of wanting to find info easier without a green sunfish discussion every six posts. What i don't understand is that i tried to bait the GSF people like 8 times this thread, and nobody hit the lure.

There is a simple answer to this is that the GSA is smarter than to hijack the boss's thread.

But don't think for one moment that we haven't noticed your blasphemy.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
That SEO thing we have been discussing may be the newest PB abbreviation. However, since I don't know the true definition of it, I'd like to expand on my praise of it being responsible for my customer's huge increase in sales. I am sure also what they did, and what PB must do is have an informative well organized website that is easy to negotiate, make comments on, attractively display "products", etc. Having PB pay for search optimization, pay-per-click, etc. and having someone arrive at your site and not find what they are looking for won't yield long term results.

Pond Boss has the content, the finest expert advice in the world, a relaxed easy user group, etc. Now I think it is a matter of getting viewers/readers/customers, etc. who will pay enough of the bills to keep this thing growing.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: Bing
what PB must do is have an informative well organized website that is easy to negotiate, make comments on, attractively display "products", etc. Having PB pay for search optimization, pay-per-click, etc. and having someone arrive at your site and not find what they are looking for won't yield long term results.

Spot-on, Bing.
Bounce rates are a huge consideration. Generally, if someone lands on your site (there is some debate about the timeframe) you have under 10 seconds to get them to act. If they aren't convinced, they "bounce" off the site. Remember that if they are coming from google, they just saw at the very least 9 other options to get them what they want (much more than that if you aren't on the first page).

The links on the side of the homepage need to be improved for visibility to reduce the bounce rate. Also, the forum does need to be easily searchable, or in the case of an archive database, it needs to easily provide the answers needed quickly and accurately.

Bounces=bad.

- -
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I agree with Bing.

I will try and draw up a new "proposed" site structure in an easy to understand format with explanations for each step.

This takes a considerable amount of time / thought and number crunching, so I may be done with it by Sunday, but it could take me until around next tuesday / thursday (I have an Organic chemistry and biochem midterm coming up, so I won't be able to knock it out as quickly as usual)

I'll start thinking about very manageable, easy to use shopping cart options as well. Ones that look a little more aesthetically pleasing, but should integrate well, and won't cost an arm and a leg.

But for now, I'll get working on a site blueprint. I'll more than likely talk shop with skinnybass and see what we can come up with in our spare time (sorry for volunteering you). It sounds terrible, but it is kind of fun to work through the logistics.

Most everything you guys are suggesting is ideal, the real work is what has to go on behind the scenes to 1)Get the traffic 2)Convert that traffic 3)If failing to convert that traffic, bait them with a "free" digital product offer to get their email, so you can convert them later.

It is pretty simple, and it can be done. We just have to tweak the blueprint a bit. Now I am excited.

I understand that no one has elected me or forced me to do any of this stuff. You might not even want me to, but I'm going to do it anyways I'm stubborn.

Last edited by Gflo; 02/24/10 02:52 PM.

Dr. Flores D.V.M.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Gflo - Organic Chem-yuck! Biochem is pretty cool. What's your major?

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: Gflo
I'll more than likely talk shop with skinnybass and see what we can come up with in our spare time (sorry for volunteering you). It sounds terrible, but it is kind of fun to work through the logistics.

I volunteered my help long ago. Just be warned. as a professional SEO, I am most likely evil and will try to siphon your money. Not PB's money, your, personal money. (muahahahahaah!)
I actually like that moniker. Nobody's ever issued a warning about me (or associated me with a group of people to be warned about) before. Thanks for that, i'm running with it.

Originally Posted By: Gflo
but I'm going to do it anyways I'm stubborn.

same here. let's rock n roll.

Last edited by skinnybass; 02/24/10 04:18 PM. Reason: Pure Evil.

- -
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I'm an animal science major.

I can't stand organic chemistry. It drives me crazy. Biochem on the other hand, I love it.

If I can relate what I am doing to an organism and a physiological process, then I am golden.

The O-Chem is just a bunch of chemicals in a jar to me. I have lightbulb moments every once in awhile about how it can be useful. For example, it finally made sense to me how to make "crack" cocaine from pure cocaine. I guess thats not all that useful unless I went on to become a drug lord.

Last edited by Gflo; 02/24/10 04:34 PM.

Dr. Flores D.V.M.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Biologists routinely report some of the highest levels of job satisfaction. Stick with it!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
They also report the lowest incomes of all science disciplines lol!

This thread has officially been derailed.

Dr. Flores D.V.M.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Guess I have to sign up for photobucket. Boooo.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: The Pond Frog

I think you'll like it Michael. Seriously. You're a smart dude. It'll be no sweat and I really can't wait to see more pics from you. Let me know if you need any help getting it going.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Gflo - It depends how good you are. There are always good jobs for those at the top of the game. These days, you will likely need a PhD though.

Frog - I had my kids help me with photobucket and

I think its not about smarts but rather an attitude that folks could specd a little more time creating intuative designs for their sites.

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: The Pond Frog

If you need a hand with it you can always call on me.

Last edited by skinnybass; 02/25/10 09:24 AM. Reason: it was either the evil or the GSF, but not both.

- -
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday