Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,946
Posts557,795
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
7 members (Drago, Boondoggle, esshup, ArkieJig, canyoncreek, Augie, catscratch), 1,021 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#203745 02/12/10 07:18 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When I was driving last night, I thought I'd heard the news wrong. I thought they said that Mardi Gras preparations were put on hold and schools were closed in Louisiana because of snow.

Us mid-Atlantians (??) did our part with photos and snow tales. Now it is the duty of those of you from Texas to South Carolina to uphold the tradition.

How do you deal with big snow in areas that almost never get snow? How many of you even have snow shovels?

You have my sympathy.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ken, I have never personally seen a snow shovel. We don't get a lot of snow and it usually melts the next day.

However, yesterday and last night I got about a foot of snow. Others around the local area will have different amounts. It's a record here. Since the ground was warm, a lot of it melted when it first started. Actually, it is starting to melt this morning. We had no wind with this so it didn't feel cold. Actually, the temp stayed around 32.

All schools are closed. Lots of down trees and busted limbs. Businesses started shutting down about 3:00 yesterday and letting everybody get home. Bridges and overpasses are sanded. No salt used here.

I have some pretty respectable sized broken limbs down in my yard and some neighbors are a lot worse. I expect to be using a chain saw most of the day. AT 67 YOA, I'm one of the young guys in my neighborhood.

I will get up to Bowie in a couple of days to assess things there.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Ken, I have never personally seen a snow shovel.

It's a Northern variety idiot stick, DD. You know, a stick with a blade on one end and an idiot on the other.

Shown here with one of the penguins that come down from the North pole and shovel our snow for us:

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Everything closed here with 4-6 inches and mounting.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I had about 8" ay my place in town. I hear out west where my ponds are there's about 15" on the ground. Usually nothing but dust out there! I'll try to post some pics later when i get back home.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Dang we are probably missing it. We are in edge of mountains 40 miles north of Atlanta. The bulk of the snow is hitting below Atlanta and toward middle GA. Rare for this to happen but also happened last year where father south hammered and we got a coating. We might get 1-2 inches and calling for 4-6" in middle to south GA, figures.

I guess that is ok we head to Montana Sunday for a week so we will get plenty of snow action for Wyatt.

Catmando I visited friend in Boston few years ago. I said hey man let me shovel the snow I have never got to do that. He quickly took me up on the offer. On the second day after a six inch snow and two hours in I said ok I can go a lifetime now without ever doing that again. You can keep the snow shovles up north thank you very much.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
no snow here, just cold and rainy.

we did have some flurries with the last deep freeze though

i'd kill for some global warming right now

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
It's snowing all the way down to the FL line here in AL. Started @ 8:30 am and have a couple of inches so far. Third time in ten years to see snow on the ground here. So much for global warming!

-HH

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The TV Weather Guy said this is the most snow we have had since 1964. I just finished cutting and piling stuff in my yard. Taking a short break and then have to get to the old folks on both sides of me. Down the street, a guy had a huge, old growth, Blackjack Oak come down and is blocking the street. Unlike our normal post oaks, the Blackjack keeps its dead leaves all winter. Snow collected on the leaves and the branches and pulled it over. I can't handle that one with even my bigger saws.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 02/12/10 12:53 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
North Texas got 8-12" of snow. Like DD1 said, no wind, a slow steady snow that never quit from 5am yesterday to 3am this morning. I have lived here for 50 years & can't remember anything quite like it. It was nothing compared to what you all got on the East coast, but for here, memorable. Here are some pics from this morning.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Funny for us northerners to see the snow and then the pond with no ice.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Forecast for tomorrow is low to mid 50's.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well, David U's photos show that it is very pretty. Although, the horse looks a little perplexed.

In 1975 when I was getting out of the Navy, I had job offers in Garland and Carrollton, TX near Dallas. I made quite a few trips to that area while in the Navy, and I really liked one of the two companies where I'd made a lot of very good friends over several years. But, the Dallas area weather convinced me not to go. It seemed like every time I visited, it was either 105 degrees, or else I couldn't get to old Love Field because the whole area was glazed with a half-inch of ice.

At least you shouldn't need shovels if it will be in the 50s tomorrow.

Enjoy it while you can.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Well, David U's photos show that it is very pretty. Although, the horse looks a little perplexed.

Had a look on it's face, saying...!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Funny for us northerners to see the snow and then the pond with no ice.

I guess technically I'm in the south, since the Mason-Dixon line is north of me. But Western Maryland and Northern WV have climates a lot more like . . . well, I don't really know -- but somewhere very north of here. This was the snow that hit us on December 4 or 5, when the water was still in the 40s, but the air temp sunk -- and has just stayed there.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Forecast for tomorrow is low to mid 50's.

That's the best kind of snow storm. You get a good storm one day and it's gone the next!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Nice photos. North and south. We always try to cope by making snow ice cream. I shovel with a spatula into a big pan.

Funny about the quick change in temp. down here. I remember my Jr. year at MSU, no, not Michigan State, in 1968, we were supposed to go to a music concert in Memphis. Snowed all day and night, ended up with 12 inches, 14 in Memphis. This was on April Fools day. Next day, about 60. Quite a slush.

Last edited by burgermeister; 02/13/10 12:17 AM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
According to the Weather Guy, we average 2.5 inches of snow per year. We have the possibility of more coming this week to add to this 12.5 inches.

This snow yields about one inch of moisture for every 8 inches of snow. Since snow usually melts from the bottom instead of the top, We will get quite a bit of ground water from this; especially since everything is still wet from previous snows. Now, if I can just get a whopper of a rain, there should be quite a bit of runoff to the ponds.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I do not claim to be a climate expert, but when you here no mention of global warming on the TV when we get these cold weather events, I am suspicious that the critics have been silenced by political pressure. When the discussion ends, I fear that science has been totally replaced by politics. I am certainly concerned when human activities significantly increase a mayor atmospheric gas (CO2), but I wonder how well we truely understand the impact of this on climate. I know thing have become warmer in some places, but is this just our ignorance of climatic cycles, or a direct effect of increased CO2 in our atmosphere?

RAH #203937 02/13/10 10:03 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Last I heard was that the phenomenon was effecting the former planet of Pluto; possibly the 7th planet from the sun.
I also heard that the increased moisture from evap. due to heat was the reason for all the snow. I believe this was Rush's scientific hypothesis.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister

I also heard that the increased moisture from evap. due to heat was the reason for all the snow. I believe this was Rush's scientific hypothesis.

Possibly spurred on Rush's Great White North, too.
-
I'm steering clear of the "7th planet from the sun" comment; I know a trap when I see one. How's that for growth, Ewest?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
We got 1" in my parts Friday morning, added to 3-4" we got in December.

The earth's weather is a huge, self-correcting feedback loop. When temperatures swing to the hot or cold side, it triggers events that eventually moderate it. I'm grateful to be living in in a warmer period. I hope it stays the way it is, because the 10,000 year average is way too cold for me. (Think Minnesota weather in Texas).

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bobad
We got 1" in my parts Friday morning ...

Dang. That sounds cold. \:o

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister

Possibly spurred on Rush's Great White North, too.
-
I'm steering clear of the "7th planet from the sun" comment; I know a trap when I see one. How's that for growth, Ewest?

I'm going to have to crank up some RUSH tonight! Thanks Brettski --- Now I am going to have that rolling around in my head at 2:00 am, rather than putting the finishing touches on a special machine I am designing.
At least I am 3 weeks ahead. I could do "All the World's A Stage" for a week. My favorite album of all time!

Last edited by JKB; 02/13/10 04:36 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm sure this will seem boring to you all that get a lot of snow, but today in North Texas, there is a phenomenon occuring that I believe I will never see here again. Snow melt runoff has filled the bar ditches and creeks. It looks as if we just got a 3" rain!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
Major Fail
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:44 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?