Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,021
Posts558,581
Members18,537
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
13 members (SSJSayajin, Champ59, Boondoggle, Theo Gallus, Jake D., etx-pond-c, Stressless, Don Kennedy, Sunil, Shorthose, BEPA, WiYeti, catscratch), 982 guests, and 230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pullo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Hello, we have a new nieghbor that is feeding geese near her dock, she puts out gallons of corn every day for the geese! We have allways had geese come to the pond but this year! it's a feeding frezy! Geese poop bad enough, but with her feeding man if they get in my yard it turns into a mine field worse then ever before.
Could excess goose dropings in pond cause planktonic algae blooms? & hurt water quality? not only droppings but the geese are also pawing up her yard leaving murky water.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Print out this and give to your neighbor, I say no more.
http://www.iwaponline.com/jwh/002/0183/0020183.pdf

PAUL
P
pullo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Thank you, I only read a little of it was too long for me:)

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
We test about hundred metro Atlanta lakes a year for fecal coliform. Those with geese have elevated levels. Question could it cause water issues-yes. Does it?? Depends on how many geese what size body of water, etc. We are trying the away with geese product right now to see if effective.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
IMHO there is more to this than just water quality issues. Having experienced Canadian Geese at our place I can see why you don't want them around Pullo. They make walking along the shore line disgusting. Perhaps time to purchase an "Away With Geese" light?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Algae blooms are a concern with elevated nitrogen levels, but I think they would be the least of my concerns. The real threat is bacteria and diseases that can be transmitted to humans. You ever heard the cliche fast as ____ through a goose, it is no joke. They go every 8 to 10 minutes, and with supplemental feed each goose could drop up to 3 pounds a day. Not ounces, pounds. Problem is it creates a breeding ground for bacteria, especially water born. Public beaches and waterways have been closed to humans because of elevated levels of bacteria. Giardia, salmonella and E coli. You get that and you start ____ing like a goose. And you could die. Kids put thier fingers in thier mouth after touching the contaminated water are especially at risk. The answer is very much YES. Your friendly old neighbor is causing a health risk. One phone call to the right authorities and she gets a friendly visit.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 02/08/10 11:12 AM. Reason: Got the ____ out of there
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Canada geese are flying toilets as PFrog mentioned. I've heard a Univ Ext agent say the Ag dept found that 20 geese make the equivalent manure of one cow as PFrog suggests. 20 geese X 3 lbs = 60 lbs of wet greasy fertile manure/day/20 birds. Take a fresh goose dropping, put in a quart of pond water, shake it, set it on the window sill for 4-7 days and then show it next to a fresh jar of water to your neighbor. I am sure that there is not only high nitrogen in the manure but also a high amount of phosphorus, both excellent plant/algae foods.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/08/10 07:45 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
P
pullo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Not a friendly old neighbor! she is rude "opinionated" women! we tried sending letters because nobody wants to talk to her, I might have to make a call to who ever to make her stop, One good thing nobody swims.

Last edited by Sunil; 02/08/10 05:22 PM. Reason: Let's not use 'racist'
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Bill I like that example. Im getting our 1250 feet/second pellet rifle today. Let the nuisance goose work begin.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
P
pullo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
I use the same air rifle to pop muskrats! works great, but a fed migratory bird! nope!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
If you can kill the geese there are more ways to do that than skinning a cat. But you still have the "opinionated" neighbor problem. Tough to feed dead geese though. I have a gamo pellet gun with hunter pellets. Head shots kill anything even honkers. But I would never do that, or admit to it. I would call anyone I could, let the authorities get her to cease her negligent activities. Whether health services, fish and game, whoever you can get. Then if that does not get you satisfaction, time to go drastic.

Last edited by Sunil; 02/08/10 05:24 PM. Reason: let's not use 'racist'
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3313_3682_3713-96774--,00.html

Have a look at this, if you can't find your way around the page give them a call, and ask for help

PAUL
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I think water quality or health services. That looks to be a great link. Pretty good find from Norway. Besides once you get someone on the phone, they usually know who deals with it. Key phrase to use is "threat to public safety". They have to act. And you are not just a whistle blower. Sometimes when you start feeding them they just quit migrating and you introduce a problem that would not normally be there long term.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

A
Lunker
Lunker
A

PAUL
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself but the geese don't like my biggest pond anymore. I have a pier now that goes all the way across and they can't just swim away from the dog and I. It used to be the last dog and I would go around and around the pond and they would just swim as far away as possible. Now with the pier in the middle they just can't swim far enough away to feel safe so they give up and fly away. We go through this a few times in the spring and they usually get the message. I just wish the two ducks we had last year would get the message. They just kept coming back over and over until I fired bottle rockets at them. I think that finally did it but by that time it was too late. We had duck itch problems really bad.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Pullo we are nusiance animal trappers we have the right to do this. ALso in GA you can apply for permit to take them during the warm season, obvioulsy not migratory if here in the summer. Good luck.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
P
pullo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
I love goose hunting! but nieghbors would frown on me shooting on the pond. we usually have the geese dive bomb in early am, they do their fighting & bathing then fly off they never sleep here. but since the old women started her huge bait pile they are here from dusk till dawn! she will even rebait it 2 or 3 times a day! She even set piles out during winter & we had deer herds walking on the pond, coons galore! she has stoped this year we will see when spring comes!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
You have to check your local ordinances to see if she can legally feed them. Some old lady in New Jersey was, got caught and fined over $4,000. Complaint was attracting the nuisance birds and droppings everywhere. Sound familiar?

And I just can't agree with two geese are OK. Because they never stay at two. They either start thier own family or others see them living on easy street and soon you have a flock. And yes the droppings are hot, but no, they are not rapidly dissolved in water. They almost ferment, and cause horrible bacterial overload. To the point where health services will close a swimming area for unsafe reasons. And they also give you nasty swimmers itch. They are great migratory birds, but once you get them to stay, it is harder than hell to get rid of them. And the offspring never migrate, they don't know what that is.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_25065-59467--,00.html

Maybe this will help, I don't think it is the same as our Norwegian scout.

P
pullo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
I bet it was our nieghbor! she came from *****!! the realator said she was run out of town!
We have sent her letters to discourage her feeding, hopefully she will stop.
Our association has checked before with the MI dnr but it only discourages feeding geese, deer is another story. she feed all winter last year, & only the deer were feeding, we sent a letter & said if she feeds deer this year she was being reported, she has stopped once the ice came.

Last edited by ewest; 02/09/10 08:31 PM.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Perhaps you could encourage bears to visit your area and take care of all of the pests?

P
pullo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
My stuffed bear downstairs doesn't seem to work! lol
My rat terrier is trained to chase the geese off, he does very well but when the large adult geese are here, they stay just in the water with thier wings spread hissing! luckly my little terier thinks he's kujo!

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
It sounds like the geese are a symptom of the problem - think bigger...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow baiting deer on the ice?! I've seen some deer flounder on slippery ice and end up fatally injured. I saw one in the water on Quabbin reservoir in Massachusetts once in the spring that I'm pretty sure died that way.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
Spillway recovery from record rains
by etx-pond-c - 05/21/24 09:30 AM
Stocking a new 17 acre, 25 ft deep pond in KC, MO
by Boondoggle - 05/21/24 08:53 AM
I think I killed all my fish
by WiYeti - 05/21/24 08:49 AM
Fish Finder?
by catscratch - 05/21/24 07:28 AM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday