Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm trying to find a supplier that makes a water control device (slide valve or something like that) that would attach to an 8" or 10" corrugated plastic drainage pipe. I checked with some of the PB suppliers, but my budget won't stand for paying in the neighborhood of $400 upwards to over $900 for one. If one that attaches to the pipe isn't available, I could build a concrete enclosure around the drainage pipe and incorporate a valve device in that concrete enclosure.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Here's my quandry:

In the times of high surface water (i.e. Spring time) the surface water drains from my neighbor's place into my pond thru that pipe, which is fine. The water will be high enough in the surrounding woods that it will completely cover that inlet pipe. Once the water level stabilizes, then starts to recede, I would like to close off that drain so that 18" or so of water doesn't drain back out of the pond. That top 18" of water bumps my pond size from 1 ac to approx 1 3/4 ac.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Have you given any thought to an expanable rubber plug,like a rubber freeze plug?Just a thought.Personally,I'd spend 400 to double the size of my pond.Just my 2 cents,which as ussual aint worth it.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
esshup,look here.Sorry,I dont know how to make it a link.Im lucky to copy and paste.Heck,Im doing good just to post.

http://webstore.petersenresources.com/143-6Castironbodyplugs.aspx

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tom G:

That might work!! I'll get in touch with them.

Rex:

When you drop off the fish you can look and give me some ideas. Heck, If a flashboard system would work, I don't even mind doing both, sort of a belt and suspenders type of thing. I don't know how good of a seal I could get on a flashboard system.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I built a concrete drop box around my 12 inch corrugated plastic drainage pipe that is 18 inches deep. I installed a 4 inch pvc pipe with screw on cap in the bottom of the concrete box. This allows me to drain off 18 inches of water from my upper pond to my lower primary pond might work for you.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rocky:

I'm fuzzy on the plan for my situation. The water flows from my neighbor's place to my pond, going under a trail that was built up 24" or so from ground level, thru the plastic culvert. The water will stand in the area up to 18" deep and flow into the pond. Once the pond gets up to that 18" mark, it will go out my overflow pipe to the next neighbor down the line. Once the snow stops melting, and the ground thaws, the water will stop flowing and slowly seep into the ground, but in the process it will flow back out the pond thru the same culvert. The culvert is almost horizontal for it's whole 30' run, maybe having 4" fall during that 30'. I want to stop the water from running back out that culvert once it's in the pond. I also want to capture any water that starts running towards my pond once it reaches that culvert. This Spring, the water was about 6" above the top of that culvert.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
It sounds like you just need to add a concrete drop box into the culvert on the opposite side of your pond. This will allow the water to flow in but not out. The water will remain at the leve l of the drop box. Assuming you have rights to that side of the trail. Also note it will increase the level of the water on the box side during runoff events. If you size the box big enough this will be minimal

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You can get an 8 inch check valve from AES for under $200.00 Scott. (Not talking about a gate valve) I gave one away to one of the posters here. He used it to make a siphon to drain his pond.

if you plumb it right you should be able to slide an 8 inch pipe inside your 10 inch drainage pipe.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Gate valves tend to stick over time. I will not use one if there are other options.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I like the concrete option better because I'd rather not reduce the diameter of the pipe feeding the pond for 2 reasons:
1) The natural flow of the water during the wet season is thru my property, and the neighbor upstream is a nice guy. I'd hate to restrict the water, backing water up onto his property. As it is, with the 10" dia. pipe, his pole barn flooded twice this Spring. I ended up digging a 4' wide by 3' deep ditch around the pond and to the woods to let excess water run. The pond couldn't handle it all. I've since added a 12" dia. culvert for extra egress flow if needed. That pipe is a couple inched higher than the 10" primary egress culvert. (both are 90* standpipes in the pond) Think of the letter L laying with the long side down. The short side is the pond high water level.
2) With the sandy soil in the area, in minimal events I want to capture as much water as possible in a short amount of time. I'm going to have to look into a knife valve to build that concrete structure around, and tie that into the 10" culvert. PP=PPR

I wish that I'd used the galvanized culvert now, easier to find valves for it.

The culvert going into the pond is sticking into the pond by about 10', and it was tied down at the end to keep from floating. If we get another high water event like we had in 2009, once the water level stabilizes, I'll don waders and pick up the end of the culvert above the water in the pond to stop any back-flow. I'll get the valve this summer and concrete it in.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Gate valves tend to stick over time. I will not use one if there are other options.

You mean check valves???

I was not advocating a gate valve. If your talking about a check valve I'm sure you could clean it with a long pole from time to time. You could also install it to be removable on either end of the pipe for cleaning.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/12/10 04:49 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
There are lots of systems and designs to choose from. A simple one is a siphon.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: RAH

check valve = flap gate.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: RAH

I'll have to contact them and see how well they seal. That looks interesting and reasonably priced for what I want to accomplish.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Scott
I have two Agridrains at my place on the repro ponds. I am very pleased with their ease of use and the company has bent over backwards a couple times to verify my satisfaction when I had questions. Not sure I understand what you are tying to accomplish, but feel free to fire me up and we can discuss.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks TJ. You'll hear from me tomorrow.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
TJ,

I've been to Scot's pond and along with seepage issues he gets a good amount of water in the spring through a culvert pipe that he wants to hang on to. Trouble is it goes back out the same pipe when water levels drop on the other side with nothing to stop it. He was considering a gate valve but not only are they very expensive for a pipe that size (10 inch), I believe a check valve or flapgate would what he is looking for. (Cheaper too). It would allow water to flow in when the water is coming in, and when there is no longer any flow coming in, it would close keeping water from flowing out of the pond side.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/13/10 11:41 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
A back-flow preventer (one way valve). We use them on our PVC siphons to make filling them easier. No where near as expensive as a metal valve. We have one on an 8 inch pipe.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Here is a link to a monk system
http://books.google.no/books?id=eXRbywIp...0system&f=false

Oldest way of doing the job, and still functional and in use around the world

PAUL

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images