Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 756 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#201927 01/31/10 10:01 PM
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
With the brutle weather this week (-30 below with the wind chill), I checked my aerator to see if it was still working. I lost a bearing in the pump I was orginaly using and repalced it with and old airbrush compressor I had laying around.

The open hole in the ice went from around six feet in diameter to about 10". The water was still rolling although, the hole has closed in. It took almost two days for the air to reopen the hole after the pump failed.

Anyone have any issues with complete freeze overs while the compressor is still pushing air?

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
My ice hole will get about a foot diameter and foam will start stacking up and freezing. It builds until it is a 8 foot tall and 18" diameter foam snow man thing but I don't think it could ever freeze over. Windmills can freeze over and then build a massive amount of pressure. A friend of mine went out to his pond and chopped the ice with his axe and air came rushing out. When the air quit coming water came out like a geiser 18 inches high.

Last edited by blair5002; 01/31/10 10:21 PM.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I got banned for posing this question on a different forum last week. Context....it's pretty important.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Ah, northern brothers who know what it's like to have real ice. I've got a 5 CFM pump but I only run it two 4 hours shifts per day, 8 hours total. My hole always freezes over when it gets below zero. When the temperature is in the 20'sF my hole will stay about 5 feet diameter. With temps in the 30's during the day it will open up to 10 to 15 feet. I generally do not have a problem when it freezes over because the air usually finds a way out. Some times it works it's way all the way to shore and comes out under the snow. On rare occasions it will not find a way out and then it can literally build up pressure. I can see my pressure gauges go up. The back pressure in my system is normally about 8 psi. If the air gets trapped under the ice the pressure has increased to as high as 12 to 13 psi. That's when you are literally lifting up the ice. I personally think this is the only problem you have to worry about is exceeding the pressure of your pump. I use a vane pump which is only designed for 15 psi max. Hopefully you have a relief valve on your system that will trip before you overheat your pump. I have had both the tall frozen foam chimney in my pond and the trapped air that blows a guyser when it vents. Just because of the pressure increase I will usually break the ice whenever I see it frozen over with no obvious point of escape. I simply take a 22 rifle and shoot a hole in the ice from shore. I rarely have more than 1 to 3 inches of ice over the hole. Something to consider is that maybe it's a good thing to have a bunch of air trapped under the ice. If you think about it, it exposes a larger portion of the surface of the pond to air with some oxygen in it. This can only help the diffusion of oxygen into the water I would think.
Funny story - once when I had the aerator off for a few days in December as the pond first froze over, about 3 inches of ice, very clear good ice, then I turned the aerator back on. I thought it would be interesting to watch how long it took the aerator to melt a hole in 3 inches of good ice. I waited all day. The aerator never melted a hole in the ice it instead just pumped air under the ice. The pressure gauge went up to 13 psi. The ice lifted up off the water. By late that night I had a 100 foot diamter bubble of ice that had raised the ice up about 2 feet in the center. I kept watching and my ice balloon just never broke. At about midnight I was tired of waiting so I got my 22 and shot out into the center. What resulted was a huge explosion. Apparently the ice was so tight that it literally blew up. My house is about 100 feet from the pond and my family said they heard the boom. When the ice bubble burst it shattered into a million pieces. The ice chunks flew 50 feet out of the pond. I was standing on my dock which sticks out about 12 feet from shore. I was soaking wet. My wife ran out of the house wondering what happened. I simply told her that I blew up the pond! It was cool, before I shot it I thought about taking a video but my camera had recently quit working so I had no way to film it. I swear it's a true story though.

Gotta get back to fishin!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I got banned for posing this question on a different forum last week. Context....it's pretty important.

Took me a second... I try to avoid ice holes, but they are pretty common around my neck of the woods.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bz
Ah, northern brothers who know what it's like to have real ice. I've got a 5 CFM pump but I only run it two 4 hours shifts per day, 8 hours total. My hole always freezes over when it gets below zero. When the temperature is in the 20'sF my hole will stay about 5 feet diameter. With temps in the 30's during the day it will open up to 10 to 15 feet. I generally do not have a problem when it freezes over because the air usually finds a way out. Some times it works it's way all the way to shore and comes out under the snow. On rare occasions it will not find a way out and then it can literally build up pressure. I can see my pressure gauges go up. The back pressure in my system is normally about 8 psi. If the air gets trapped under the ice the pressure has increased to as high as 12 to 13 psi. That's when you are literally lifting up the ice. I personally think this is the only problem you have to worry about is exceeding the pressure of your pump. I use a vane pump which is only designed for 15 psi max. Hopefully you have a relief valve on your system that will trip before you overheat your pump. I have had both the tall frozen foam chimney in my pond and the trapped air that blows a guyser when it vents. Just because of the pressure increase I will usually break the ice whenever I see it frozen over with no obvious point of escape. I simply take a 22 rifle and shoot a hole in the ice from shore. I rarely have more than 1 to 3 inches of ice over the hole. Something to consider is that maybe it's a good thing to have a bunch of air trapped under the ice. If you think about it, it exposes a larger portion of the surface of the pond to air with some oxygen in it. This can only help the diffusion of oxygen into the water I would think.
Funny story - once when I had the aerator off for a few days in December as the pond first froze over, about 3 inches of ice, very clear good ice, then I turned the aerator back on. I thought it would be interesting to watch how long it took the aerator to melt a hole in 3 inches of good ice. I waited all day. The aerator never melted a hole in the ice it instead just pumped air under the ice. The pressure gauge went up to 13 psi. The ice lifted up off the water. By late that night I had a 100 foot diamter bubble of ice that had raised the ice up about 2 feet in the center. I kept watching and my ice balloon just never broke. At about midnight I was tired of waiting so I got my 22 and shot out into the center. What resulted was a huge explosion. Apparently the ice was so tight that it literally blew up. My house is about 100 feet from the pond and my family said they heard the boom. When the ice bubble burst it shattered into a million pieces. The ice chunks flew 50 feet out of the pond. I was standing on my dock which sticks out about 12 feet from shore. I was soaking wet. My wife ran out of the house wondering what happened. I simply told her that I blew up the pond! It was cool, before I shot it I thought about taking a video but my camera had recently quit working so I had no way to film it. I swear it's a true story though.

That's one of the best stories ever!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
I like that story bz. I read it on hear about a year ago in another thread. I have told it to some of my friends so it better be true cause I don't bs to my friends. JK I believe it. Scruffy how many cfm and how deep is your diffuser.

Last edited by blair5002; 01/31/10 11:27 PM.

34ac natural lake

Lunker
Lunker
Wow...that is amazing. All that ice flying...be sure to wear some goggles next time...but by all means, make sure there IS a next time and video it for us? I love explosions!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

My hole is so big I feel into it a week ago. \:\/

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I wasn't going to allude to said event, but since you brought it up yourself...

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
How about a contest? Next year let's see who can get some pictures of an ice balloon and perhaps video of it exploding. I've tried to create those conditions again by letting the pond freeze early in the winter for one or two nights with no air. Then turn the air on and see what you get. The two times I tried the ice wasn't as good as the original time and it cracked after it rose up 3 or 4 inches. Then you just get the rushing are and geyser. But that could be a cool video too. Who can get the biggest geyser, or the biggest foam tower. Gotta think of ways to have fun with all this ice we have. I've never gotten an 8 foot foam tower, 3 feet is about my biggest.

Last edited by bz; 02/01/10 12:08 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I leave the aerator going 24/7 and the smallest that I've seen the hole is about 20' diameter. But, the weather isn't as cold as it is further North either!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great story. Dang that would have been a good video.

Of course it did occur to me that if that had happened to me and I told the story no here would have believed it.

If it had been TomG, it would have been believable but not because of air pressure, we would be convinced that explosives were involved.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
My ice hole is almost frozen over now. I can see the barely see the bubbles thru the ice. After reading the exploding post I don't think I'll be shooting anything at the hole. Must have been something to see. If it dosen't open up, I might throw a large rock at the area.

My pump is a low cfm and is about 6 feet under the surface with about 1 foot to 18" of ice on the rest of the pool now.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
This was my ice hole 2 weeks ago after pumping 150,000 gal. to bring the pond up. It's was about 3' X 12' then, but I haven't been there for a week and the night temps have been below zero for the past week.

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
AP, mine was open about the same as yours (only round) a couple of weeks earlier. Checked again this moring and it is still frozen over. We are supposed to go back into the deep freeze again this weekend. I may have to get a rock ready to luanch.

I see your adding water again to your pond. I guess the soil teatment you did last summer didn't help with your leak? Where are you getting your water from, if your source dosen't flow in the winter?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
It almost looks like you struck oil there AP.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Here toasting my feet by the pellet stove after coming in from the pond. Temp around 5 above, another cold night.

Ventured out on the ice with a crow bar to see if I could open the frozen over ice hole. Stabbed at the ice on the way out just incase I was were I shouldn't have been. Got to the area and couldn't see any bubbles, everything was frozen over.

Took a poke at the area and with two strikes broke through. The air comes gushing out and I poked again to open another hole. The white area disappears as the air rushs out, and the ice begins to crack, made me a little concerned for a moment. Then all the air eacapes and a small gyser of water comes rushing out. Poked around a couple of more times to open an area of about 2 feet in diameter, and the water is realing rolling.

I'm finding ponding is an adventure even in the winter. Saw a beautiful red fox as I was coming in for the pond, wish I had brought the camera.

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
This is the foam "loch ness monster"my earation made today. The top is about 4 feet tall. Today was a high of 14 F and my diffuser is in 13 feet of water.

I bought this through the forum and it was easy to install through the ice. You can see the round sticks I was using. The old ones were at around 10psi out of the water the new discs are at 10psi in 13feet. My air is running in the pic as you can see the membranes are inflated about 1/2"..

Last edited by blair5002; 02/02/10 06:08 PM.

34ac natural lake

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mine's bigger then Yooooours! Nanny Nanny Boo Boo!

This is only a 0.8 cfm diaphram conpressor with one stone in about 4 feet of water. I shut it off it we don't get snow.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/02/10 10:52 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
All right, Blair has got the foam monster contest started. Let's see if anyone can beat that one. Unfortunately this contest is only for those people living in subzero temps. I don't think the foam will freeze at higher temps. Dang, I've only had little ones this year, maybe 6 inches tall and 6 inches diameter. We had 25 degrees today so my hole is starting to open up and the foam monsters have all melted. I'm not wishing for more subzero temps just to win the contest though.

Cecil, you just live in too warm an area to even compete with the rest of us. The contest isn't for the largest hole, it's for who can stay frozen over even if you have a 10 cfm pump.

I gotta go check the temp now, just to see how miserable I should be when I go outside.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
blair5002 that's some ice hole sculpture you got there, you must have a good size air pump, either that or your putting bubble bath into the hole.

Scruffy I'm pumping water from the stream above the waterfall when I'm at the pond and only if it's above 15 degrees. The pond is staying within 8 inches of full.
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199515#Post199515

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
It is only 3.4cfm I think. If it warms up the hole opens and the monster goes away but it is usually something like that. Last winter I put the aeration in in january and the water smelled like h2s for a long time. This year it been running steady and smells good.

34ac natural lake

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, yours is that big only because you were swimming in it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil, yours is that big only because you were swimming in it.

Shhhhhh!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday