Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Snipe, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, catscratch, Sunil), 1,071 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
TJ? Do I know a TJ? I knew a Tom H once, but he was sucked into an abyss by the beauty of a horrible, deceptive, and vile creature. I'll miss my friend! Even though we are free to make our choices, many often try to ignore the consequences.

TJ, I still love ya buddy, but now we'll have to negotiate! hehehe

Yikes...message received. Thanks for dragging me into this mess, JHAP.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: The Pond Frog
I think that gsf was photoshopped like octomom in her bikini shot. .....

DIED's gsf photoshopped? yer a funny guy there pond frog. i'm so hurt that none of the mods or forum geezers stuck up for good old DIED and his green pigs \:\)

put these in yer bikini.....

in addition to these two lovely fish \:\)

sorry for the interuption, back to my corner now....

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Dave I am impressed! I just got my pond in May and I have caught several 8 to 10 inch GFS in my pond. I don't know why everyone hates the GSF? They hit top water baits, crank baits they are a blast to catch when they are that size! The kids love catching them. Those are some mighty fine looking ones at that! Sorry guys I couldn't stand it anymore! I do have GSF and I like catching them! Not sure why everyone hates on them so much. I guess it's like having a mut for a dog no one likes him but you! \:\)

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I don't think anyone really hates GSF ---( ok maybe 30 or 40 people here do. ) but mostly we love to aggravate JHAP.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Oh well if thats the case... Carry on then!! \:\)

Last edited by RC51; 02/01/10 08:25 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
With bass and BG around GSF are rarely a problem. They just become a very small % of the pond population. I don't hate them, I have many fond memories of them as a kid. When I didn't know any better, they were often one of the first fish to be put in a new pond I found.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
JHAP has backup!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Did someone say that GSF are not good to eat?

I seem to recall someone saying the fillets were "mushy."

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
RC51 you are promoted to full fledged membership in the GSA. Thank you for your service to this magnificent fish.

Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
I don't think anyone really hates GSF ---( ok maybe 30 or 40 people here do. ) but mostly we love to aggravate JHAP.

AH HA! Just as I suspected. Most of you love GSF - I knew it had to be true. You were just following the pack mentality and not asserting yourself. It is ok my friends to praise this beautiful fish, stand up like a man and be counted. Do not let the haters out shout your opinion. Admit your love for this magnificent species.

Originally Posted By: Sunil
Did someone say that GSF are not good to eat?

I seem to recall someone saying the fillets were "mushy."

You are quite right Sunil, they taste mushy and not very good. I highly recommend that you eat only Pond Pidgeon (aka Blue Gill). All GSF should be returned to the pond after catching them. All bluegill should be filleted, cooked and consumed.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Here is one of my GSF I caught back in June. It was about 9.5 inches long. They are a fun fight with the right fishing equipment!!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
That sir brings a tear to my eye.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
LOL \:\) \:\) \:\) I love it!!

Last edited by RC51; 02/02/10 03:58 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I can Honestly Say, That I have Never Caught, Seen, Smelled, Handled, or even come remotely close within the vicinity of a GSF!

That said, I may have been a bit harsh on the GSA!

I never thought I would like Squid or Spinach either. But you can shovel it to me any time!

Just wondering how GSF and Roses get along?

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
sunil, they taste so good, you could call them the lobster nuggets of all pondom.

rc51, you brought a lil tear to my eye as well, THAT is a TROPHY for the species. you are the first pondbosser to post a picture of a fish that rivals those of jhap and i. between the three of us, we have the largest documented gsf in the country, maybe in the world....unless there are other pondbossers here who beg to differ, we want to see pictures not words.

rc, if you routinely have 8 to 9 inch fish this is quite rare and you should recognize these as trophies for the species. BTW, a 10-inch gsf is EXTREMELY RARE and should be considered a SUPER TROPHY. you obviously have unique conditions in yer pond. i would not hesitate to try and manage or maintain for those trophy fish in yer pond, very cool.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. When I bought my pond this last May I started fishing it and all that was in there was GSF and LMB and that's it! My Next door Neigh's told me that, the pond has been sitting for quite some time unmanaged. I know for a fact I caught 15 or so one day and they were almost all within 7 to 9 inches. I will post a few more bigger one's this spring again. That is my pond and I am sticking with it. GSF and LMB. I think I can make the 2 work once I get things better under control with a tagging system.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Oh no, don't tell me that there's a SouthEast Chapter of GSA starting up!! ;\)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I caught a GSF in Lake Castaic here in California, hit my bait rather hard as i was reeling in the bobber. He was probably only 4 or 5 inches long. I was impressed by it however.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Oh no, don't tell me that there's a SouthEast Chapter of GSA starting up!! ;\)

We are international.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: MikeyBoy
I caught a GSF in Lake Castaic here in California, hit my bait rather hard as i was reeling in the bobber. He was probably only 4 or 5 inches long. I was impressed by it however.

I keep telling folks that pound per pound a GSF is a terrific fighter, one of the best in the sunfish family IMHO. It is amazing the size of lure they will strike.

At DIED's place it is fun to feed fish. He has BG and GSF (as well as other species). The BG attack a pellet in sort of a sideways motion. The GSF rocket up from below hit the pellet, immediately turn and head back to the depths. The difference in prey attack is very distinct between these to species (at least that has been our observations. DIED has observed this quite a bit and pointed it out to me, it's obvious once you watch it occur.

Catching a 9-10 inch GSF on ultra light tackle is a blast!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: RC51
That is my pond and I am sticking with it. GSF and LMB. I think I can make the 2 work once I get things better under control with a tagging system.

Good for you. It is my belief that GSF can be managed just like any other sunfish.

If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't have introduced BG into my pond. I started out with just LMB and GSF and later introduced BG and RES. I wanted the RES because we had a snail and parasite problem - they seem to have worked wonders on that situation. I added the BG to feed the LMB. I now regret adding the BG because they may eventually overpopulate the GSF. I intend to fish for pond pigeons (aka BG) with extreme prejudice.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: JKB
I can Honestly Say, That I have Never Caught, Seen, Smelled, Handled, or even come remotely close within the vicinity of a GSF!

I never thought I would like Squid or Spinach either. But you can shovel it to me any time!

JKB, GSF absolutely love roses!. GSF love most plants. But those little green meanies really mellow out around roses. They just love to curl up in a hole and have the roots from the rose bush hug them tight.....they gladly give their lives to be plant food!

Remember, There is nothing any prettier than the scales of 1000 dead green sunfish, glistening with dew (even DMD) on the soil of a freshly planted garden..............Mmm Mmm Mmm

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
And you wonder why you are constantly having truck problems.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
 Originally Posted By: JKB

JKB, GSF absolutely love roses!. GSF love most plants. But those little green meanies really mellow out around roses. They just love to curl up in a hole and have the roots from the rose bush hug them tight.....they gladly give their lives to be plant food!

Remember, There is nothing any prettier than the scales of 1000 dead green sunfish, glistening with dew (even DMD) on the soil of a freshly planted garden..............Mmm Mmm Mmm

I would implement a chipper shredder, ya know, to help with soil aeration and all. Small pieces mix better.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
The thing I like about a GSF and LMB pond is you don't need pellets and minnows, you can get by with just minnows and or spawning for food. I don't need no automatic feeders and such trying to take care of. Now if I started over from scratch I might do what Bob Lusk talked about in his video and try to do a all pellet food. That way once again I am just feeding one type of food to my fish. I added 200 CNB and 50 RES for more spawning action and to have some RES for parasites. Unless you want to spend a lot of money of feeder fish I suppose you need to have some CNB for spawning.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
And you wonder why you are constantly having truck problems.

Touché my friend, touché

Where the hell is Yolk Sac ?!?!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction