Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M
18,498 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,942
Members18,499
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
10 members (Justin W, Fishingadventure, MOLINER, catscratch, Joe7328, Bill Cody, gautprod, Sunil, shores41, KenHorton), 878 guests, and 471 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
One of my best repeat customers gave me a couple of pounds of ground bison from one he shot recently in South Dakota (Or was it North Dakota?) Anyway, I made meatloaf out of it and it was good. I could tell it wasn't beef but it was very mild.

Anyone else eat it?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The one grocery store chain I shop at a lot(Wegman's) carries it both as ground meat and some other cuts. I mix the ground meat with my deer meat to make burgers because the bison taste much like beef but much lower in fat. The steaks are very good as well.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
All I can say is after looking at the picture of the animal they are big stocky animals! They must have a lot of meat on them!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
We eat it regularly out here in NE as there are some of the largest herds in the world on Ted Turner's ranches in the Sandhills of NE. It's very lean, a little dry, but we like marinading steaks and throwing them on the Green Egg with corn and veges....

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I have had it before. As CJ says, it is a bit more lean than beef, quite good.

A few farms raise them around here, but not in quantity. One of the most advertised Law Firms in Grand Rapids constantly shows their heard along with a few old cars. At least they don't have an infomercial that runs for three hours a day.

Best burger I ever had was Black Bear. I am sure that would make some really nummy meatloaf.

Sigh, I miss the old meatloaf days, specially with ground liver and the hand crank meat grinder with multiple tooling and accessories. \:\(

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Love it! Lean cuts have less fat than turkey. It really tastes just about like regular beef. Burgers are good. Steaks are great, but you have to make sure not to over cook them because of the lack of fat.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: JKB
Best burger I ever had was Black Bear. I am sure that would make some really nummy meatloaf.

You ain't kidding! Black bear burger is so good... Burgers are supposed to be greasy and that is what black bear meat is! I didn't think black bear would taste very good, but the first time I had it I was like dang we need to shoot more of these.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I thought you guy's were kidding or maybe talking about this place.
http://www.northwarren.com/index/busines...bear-restaurant

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
HAHA, do they serve bear there or just beer?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Over the years, we've eaten quite a bit of bison that has been given to us as gifts. Roasts (not sure if they were front or back -- chuck/round), boneless steaks (probably backstrap or fillet), and ground.

I've always found the color interesting, as it is so dark. Minimal odor, and certainly very lean.

It isn't something you want to overcook since it is so lean. I wouldn't go out of my way to find it, but it is every bit as good as properly butchered venison or home-grown grass fed beef.

As for bear -- not for me anymore. Maybe a young sow would be OK. But older bear, especially boars that are sexually mature sure have a bad odor and taste that will ruin a good cast iron pan.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I've been told bear meat tastes like crap, but I never have tried it, maybe I shouldn't believe everything I'm told.
But then I'm not a real steak lover, and I don't drink beer.
That ought to shock most of ya'll.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The steak lover yes! The beer lover, I am right there with you...

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
 Originally Posted By: JKB

You ain't kidding! Black bear burger is so good... Burgers are supposed to be greasy and that is what black bear meat is! I didn't think black bear would taste very good, but the first time I had it I was like dang we need to shoot more of these.

Too bad you cant raise them like steers or hogs. First time was like... Are you kidding me (with a few expletives) First bite and that was soooooooo good. I'm getting hungry.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You can raise them like steers, but the fences have to be much stronger, and they have a bit of an attitude problem. There's a local farm (in Bremen, IN)that raises them for meat. A couple got out one year and they couldn't herd them back into the pen. They were able to keep them confined to a neighbors field tho, using horses and 4-wheelers. They had to wait for the meat inspector to show up before they could shoot them, or they couldn't have sold the meat.

IIRC, bulls will get over 2,000#.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Fingerling
Fingerling
J
loved it wish i had the land to raise them

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo

As for bear -- not for me anymore. Maybe a young sow would be OK. But older bear, especially boars that are sexually mature sure have a bad odor and taste that will ruin a good cast iron pan.

Any Boar, Bull, no matter what species, without the proper fix early on will be quite pungent. And yes, they could melt a cast iron pan.

Question is: How do we sell this new technology to China \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Bison Burger from North Dakota. (no this photo was not taken with my new camera glasses)

Excerpt from my blog about the bison burgers:

Anyhow road trip with Dad, Justin and Chef Todd was smooth sailing all the way until we stopped at the Big Chief in Fergus Falls for Buffalo Burgers. They tasted amazing....
...For the last two hours up to Grand Forks occasionally someone would dramatically say ‘aahh man’, someone else would then smirk or chuckle to themselves a bit uncontrollably and then all the windows would rapidly go up and down to exchange the air in the vehicle. You do have to realize that we were traveling in -10 degree weather and you better have a darn good reason for rolling down the window traveling 75 mph in that kind of weather!! At times we had no choice but to choose to freeze in order to breathe!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
There's a restaurant in a small mountain town in San Diego county (in Julian for those who are familiar with San Diego County) that serves Bison meat. I eat it every time I'm up that way. I like it.

Ricki and I stopped at a Bison ranch in Arizona few years back. I was completely amazed at how huge the animal is. The male Bison were kept isolated from the females in an enclosure that had two seven foot fences about 6 feet apart parallel to each other around the entire enclosure. We had to watch a "Bison etiquette" video before we were allowed to walk around the sanctuary. You weren't allowed to stare the bison in the eye, and if the male bison was standing they ushered people away from the enclosure. Supposedly the males are very aggressive would charge the fence when irritated. They also had white Bison. It was an interesting place. Oh and don't worry during our visit it was one of those rare occasions that I was behaving myself. Deep down though I still believe that I could have beat the bison in a stare out contest.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
While doing a command performance for GE in Puerto Rico, the guys I was traveling with (native to the island) took me to some restaurant in a village a bit off the main road. The special was buffalo steak. They kept going on about ordering the boofalo....so I did too.
It was laden with fat. Most of it wound up rolled into my napkin, covertly dropped to the floor.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
...For the last two hours up to Grand Forks occasionally someone would dramatically say ‘aahh man’, someone else would then smirk or chuckle to themselves a bit uncontrollably and then all the windows would rapidly go up and down to exchange the air in the vehicle. You do have to realize that we were traveling in -10 degree weather and you better have a darn good reason for rolling down the window traveling 75 mph in that kind of weather!! At times we had no choice but to choose to freeze in order to breathe!

One of the smartest things my wife ever taught me was to leave the truck windows open overnight after my Son and I have road trips like that.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
While doing a command performance for GE in Puerto Rico, the guys I was traveling with (native to the island) took me to some restaurant in a village a bit off the main road. The special was buffalo steak. They kept going on about ordering the boofalo....so I did too.
It was laden with fat. Most of it wound up rolled into my napkin, covertly dropped to the floor.

Dude, I hate to break it to you but there are no buffalo (or Bison \:D ) in Puerto Rico.

I don't know what you ate but I'm thinking it wasn't Buffalo (Bison). \:o

I'm thinking "Puerto Rican Buffalo" might be a euphemism, you know sort of like Mountain Oysters.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Do you guys have to talk about good food, I'm sitting here eating my no fat, no taste shredded wheat!!!!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Just think about "Puerto Rican Buffalo" AP, that ought to calm your hunger pangs.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Whale steaks.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent