Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,971
Posts558,068
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,553
ewest 21,500
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
18 members (Brian from Texas, Boondoggle, FishinRod, Bigtrh24, Don Kennedy, canyoncreek, Jambi, ewest, phinfan, Sunil, jludwig, Shorthose, JoshMI, Jason D, Snipe, LANGSTER, Ibanez540r, ghdmd), 852 guests, and 164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#198087 01/06/10 04:02 PM
M
mach316 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Anyone familiar with the 30 gal. Moultree Feed Caster? I've been looking at feeders for a while and found these on sale at Cabelas for $299. BPS sells em for $429 and the Moultree site sells em for $419. Also, what is the normal feed rate for a pond stocked with largemouth, bluegills and redears in terms of lb's/gal per day for a 6 acre pond. Thanks..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...1095&hasJS=true

Last edited by mach316; 01/06/10 04:05 PM.
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I have one. It throws a lot of food within two or three feet of the feeder, which is fine if you don't mind your fish being easy targets for kingfishers, great blue herons, etc.; if you don't like the idea of creating a smorgasbord for the birds, it's not a great feature in a feeder.

The largemouth won't eat pellets (normally, though it happens now and then) unless they were trained to do so by the hatchery, and you would know it if you had feed-trained bass because they would be advertised and touted. Redear normally don't eat pellets much either, so the bluegill will be your chief consumers. Depending on how many bluegill you have in the pond, i.e. overpopulated versus balanced versus bass-heavy and not as many bluegill, you could expect to feed anywhere from twenty-five pounds a month on the low end (low relative numbers of bluegill) to as much as a hundred pounds a month on the high end in the warm months if you have an overpopulation of bluegill and feed them three times or more daily as much as they'll eat in ten to fifteen minutes.

Don't feed more than the fish clean up in fifteen minutes. Some managers on here go with a lower number than that even, five or ten minutes. If you're feeding just to provide the bass with more forage, five minutes' worth of food once or twice a day is plenty; if trophy bluegill are your goal, you may want to feed more poundage (more seconds on the timer setting).

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Walt how is the weather up your way? If we do not put the feed out further in my estimation it is not doing what we desire. I have come to the place that I feel most feeders will have bad results sometimes even though they may be new. We just need to find the best feeder possible and then try to make changes in the feeder to improve the results we desire. Yes it would be nice to purchase perfect feeders but this seems to be difficult. The size of the feed always throws a curve often that we need to correct. I will say that I do not like to work on feeders as I seldom get them back into the state that I desire. We seem to have many threads on feeders but we have not found one that is perfect as far as I know. I would suggest a person read these threads to be knowledgeable to make the better decision.

deaner #198180 01/07/10 01:04 PM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
The weather currently is not amusing - the ponds I work with are all frozen over with a couple or few inches of ice cover. Yesterday was the first day in nearly a week that the air temperature made it above freezing; it was nine degrees yesterday as I was driving to work but it eventually made it up to thirty-four. It's supposed to get down to eight Saturday night.

I have seen Sweeney feeders in operation and they worked flawlessly, threw the food well out from the bank with none falling close to the feeder. Many posters on here who own them have commented on how reliable and trouble-free they are; the same goes for Texas Hunter. Those two brands cost more, but it appears that there's a big gap in quality between them and the cheaper brands - a gaping gap, one might say.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I just bought one, but it will not be out tell spring. I found it on ebay $315 delivered with a free battery and solar panel.Everything ive owned by moultrie has worked perfectly unless i broke it lol.. Mine will be out on its own little pier though so im not worried about the distance it throws..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 01/07/10 02:22 PM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Yes that is some kind of clearance b/c it is priced less than my delaer cost and I bought in lots of 10. I think for that price it is a great feeder. I rec taking some silicone aroudn the seam between the two pieces of the hopper you put together.
I told bluegill killer it would be $325 with solar panel plus shipping so we are close let us know if we can help you out.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
yeah im gonna seal mine up real good, the weather stripping it came with is a little chinsy..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by ewest - 04/30/24 12:35 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
New pond stocking
by esshup - 04/30/24 10:41 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:17 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice