Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,100
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil), 702 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Gee, I really feel bad for you guys, NOT. \:D ;\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Cat are you located where you get the upslope effect that typically enhances the snowfall?

Yup!

I guess we've now got about 2 feet. I plowed for about four hours earlier, and now it is time to go out again. I waited too long this morning before I went out.

They say it should end in the next couple of hours. It's now where it is difficult to plow because I've got the snow piled up 3-4 feet on the side of the driveway.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cat:

That's why I like my snowthrower! It throws it far away from the drive and I doubt that I'll ever run out of places to throw it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #195968 12/19/09 06:06 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We probably ended up topping out around 16 inches just a couple of hours west of Ken, so we got it light! We didn't end up making it out to the farm so I don't have any good pics of what was going on out there, but hope to make it out one day this week.

Cecil, thanks for the info about the pond ice. I'll definitely have to test it to verify it's safe. Fortunately, the pond we'd be doing any walking on is our small one that is probably an average of no more than 2 feet deep or less over most of it, with the deepest area being around 4 feet, but that's easy to avoid until we are certain of the safety. Thanks again for that tip!

Here are a couple of shots of what we woke up to this morning - this was about a foot along our back patio wall. The big mound on the right of the picture is one of those plastic turtle sandboxes for our kids.

[img][/img]

This shot is looking the other way towards our side yard - while it's not too deep against the house, you can really get a feel for how it piled up on the chairs, the firepit, and the hottub!

[img][/img]

And here's one of Max after taking a good romp through the yard. He was pretty excited to get out and play today - he loves to chase the kids when they ride their sleds down the hills! I believe he was just thinking about a job well done in this shot!

[img][/img]

All in all, a great day and enough snow that it ought to still be white for Christmas with a week that's supposed to stay in the upper 20s and low to mid 30s.

Travis, fun pics and videos of Shanny! Awesome how all the retriever breeds just can't seem to get enough of the white stuff!

AP, trust us, it's YOU we envy! This is a relative rarity for us to get this much at once - you have all the luck up there!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I love all the pics guys. Sweet dog CB.

We have about 3 1/2 out here. Not bad for being at least 800 miles from the storm center. They were predicting less than an inch. Ha Ha.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
So we made it out to our farm today and got some cool pics. The neighbors with tractors had generally cleared the main road into the area, but our fields were unspoiled with any tracks. So I promptly drove the truck up our road! Actually didn't have any problems even with the snow as deep as it was - still probably a solid 14".

Anyway, got to shoot some pics of the ponds. Here is a panoramic shot of our big pond. Pretty much everything you see in the pic is on our land.

[img][/img]

This shot of the small pond is at the far end of the previous pic, situated up and behind the far end of the big pond.

[img][/img]

This one is continuing on to the left of the small pond in the previous pic, showing our nearly finished 16 x 20 "barn." We were planning to knock out the rest of the work yesterday morning but, obviously, the weather put a little damper on that plan.

[img][/img]

Here are our daughters, trudging through the snow on their way to look at the ice on the small pond. No efforts to test thickness were made today, just taking a look and marveling as only 7 and 10 year old kids can do!

[img][/img]

And a final shot, from the big pond, where the muskrats have decided to congregate during this stretch. The picture was from further away than my lens wanted to go for good detail, but there are at least 6 of the little buggers sitting there, mocking me and my lack of a firearm today. It was actually pretty cool and the kids loved seeing all of them.

[img][/img]

All in all, a great day of enjoying the snow. School is canceled for tomorrow, so I may take the kids out there and spend some time sledding with them. I love this weather!

Todd La Neve

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Great pic's Todd.

I really love nature when it is pristine and snow covered. Makes for many happy memories and kindles warm and joyous hearts.

Just have to love it.

Thanks,
J.

JKB #196119 12/20/09 06:23 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You got that right, J. Something about unspoiled, white snow, just takes your breath away. And there are a lot of memories waiting to be made there, and for everyone here in their own slice of heaven! There's nothing like it!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Great pics! Don't forget the rifle this time.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #196132 12/20/09 09:29 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Great pics! Don't forget the rifle this time.

It was truly one of those "doh!" moments! I'm thinking tomorrow I don my camo, add some white to the mix for extra blending power, take my home defense shotgun because it would be easy to low crawl with, and slide on my belly down to the water's edge and give 'em all a little high velocity lead to consider at their muskrat confab. Might be fun and picture-postworthy!

Todd La Neve

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think I can hear Bing Crosby starting to sing.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
My Mom in east Ct got 18 in up to 20 in some spots! Looks awesome wish we had some here.

take a kid fishing the first catch creates a life long fisherman. (my dad)
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Todd for sharing those pics. None here but very wet.

I copied them to the 2009 pond pics thread.

Last edited by ewest; 12/21/09 10:07 AM.

ewest #196171 12/21/09 11:06 AM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Ken and Todd and other WV'ers. My wife was born in Huntington, and we lived in Ashland KY 5 years after getting married. I love that part of the Country! There was an old saying by WV'ers - "its the largest state in the union if you flatten out all the mountains." Brother/sister in law still live in Williamstown, WV. We almost bought property there when we bought - discussed that the potential of White Christmas is far greater. Enjoy the beauty of it all.

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Todd:

A good cheap snow camo is a white tyvek painters suit. In the snow that you have, I'd leave it all white.

My cousin moved to NC near Hendersonville (actually Laurel Park)from Cleveland. I just got an e-mail from him that was pretty comical. They got 8" of snow, and said that their idea of a salt truck is a pick-up truck with a guy and a shovel.

He's a city boy, and his escapades remind me of the old TV show, Green Acres. He's actually in an Incorporated area, so no shooting. He's had bears in the back yard, and turkeys perched on his garage roof. I told him to buy a paintball gun and freeze the paintballs, my nephew said to use marbles instead of paintballs. He's got a BMW, his girlfriend has a VW Jetta sedan. He said that they parked the cars at the bottom of the hill before the storm, and they haven't moved since.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I think I can hear Bing Crosby starting to sing.

Mass muskrat homicide gets you in the Christmas mood? That's a little freaky! But I like it!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: fishwrangler
My Mom in east Ct got 18 in up to 20 in some spots! Looks awesome wish we had some here.

This is defintely not our norm, but man, I absolutely love it when we get this much!

Todd La Neve

ewest #196176 12/21/09 12:48 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Thanks Todd for sharing those pics. None here but very wet.

I copied them to the 2009 pond pics thread.

Thanks, Eric. Great idea on putting them on the other thread as well.

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: FarmerRick
Ken and Todd and other WV'ers. My wife was born in Huntington, and we lived in Ashland KY 5 years after getting married. I love that part of the Country! There was an old saying by WV'ers - "its the largest state in the union if you flatten out all the mountains." Brother/sister in law still live in Williamstown, WV. We almost bought property there when we bought - discussed that the potential of White Christmas is far greater. Enjoy the beauty of it all.

Hey, FarmerRick, I am definitely enjoying this! That old saying is still valid, it seems, as I hear it occasionally! And it's probably pretty close to being true! I have friends in Williamstown who used to live next door but moved for work. Very pretty area there along the Ohio River.

As for white Christmases, this'll be our first, at least in our area, in several years. It kind of adds a very special feel to the whole season as opposed to having wet, rainy, dreary weather!

Todd La Neve

esshup #196178 12/21/09 12:53 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Great idea, Essup! I will have to hit the store and find one that'll fit over top of the warm clothes. Thanks for that!

I'm dying laughing about your cousin's cars! That's too funny!

Todd La Neve

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I love looking at pictures of snow but I'm perfectly content to just look at other people's pictures and not have any of it myself.

We actually had a snow last year. That'll hold me for a few years.

If you like it, enjoy it! ;\)

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Great idea, Essup! I will have to hit the store and find one that'll fit over top of the warm clothes. Thanks for that!

I'm dying laughing about your cousin's cars! That's too funny!

Finding one big enough might be a problem, it's amazing how much bulk warm clothes add.

Listening to my cousins' stories is a blast. It wasn't until after he bought the property and the construction was started that he realized that there "might" be snakes in the area. They moved in late August, and I don't know if his girlfriend has ventured out into the yard yet! \:D

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #196212 12/21/09 06:22 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The snakes would not be high on my list, either!

As for the tyvek suit, it's not like I'm giving a lot of room for bulky warm clothes anyway as I'm not a dainty character, if you know what I mean! Fortunately, I'm a lot more svelte than I used to be, so I may find something that'll work!

Todd La Neve

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!