Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,074
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, Theo Gallus, H20fwler, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 812 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
I was just wondering about this critter, general knowledge, pros and cons? Does anyone have these in their LMB ponds, and if so what kind of affect did they have?

take a kid fishing the first catch creates a life long fisherman. (my dad)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Oh lordy.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
This brings back such bad memories...

Do not read this thread.

Ok, the real answer is that many of us have Gams in our pond. I added them primarily for mosquito control. There seems to be pros and cons related to them.

Pros:

They do seem to control mosquitos (at least they seemed to have a significant impact at my place).

Their breeding habits puts rabbits to shame. DIED added I think 11 to his pond and he now has schools in the thousands.

Cons:

They may eat the eggs of other fish or at least I recall a discussion of that (I'll try to find the link).

What is the purpose for adding the Gams? Mosquito Control, forage base, both?

Fun quote from a wise and all knowing Heybud:
 Originally Posted By: heybud
It is better to have loved a gam and lost than to never have loved one at all.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Both I just stubled across someone who had some and said something about good forage, so I looked into it and saw they also control mosquitos.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Here's a couple of links to get you started...

Gambusia, an invasive species

Gambusia vs. Fathead

Perhaps one of the experts can discuss the pros and cons of Gams, anyone?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
thanks jhap

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
fishwrangler, I have Gams in both my SMB/YP/RES pond and in my LMB/BG/RES pond. They went in the former as initial forage and were added to the latter after the pond was already full of fish. There are a lot of them in the LMB pond, but not nearly as many as in the SMB/YP/RES pond where they went in ahead of the other fish.

They have proven (in combo with FHM) to be very good startup forage for SMB. Large BG and RES also like eating them, and hit on small lures readily in their presence (which is something they rarely if ever did before).

You will see reports that Gams have horrible negative affects on fish spawning. They have not noticeably affected spawning in the BG/RES/LMB pond, where their numbers are relatively low. In the other pond, where there are (millions) of Gams, the RES have had no trouble spawning. The YP & SMB may be big enough to spawn in 2010; as of yet I have no data on how dense numbers of Gams will affect their spawning.

I would not stock them in a multi-species pond just for mosquito control, as almost every species of fish will eat mosquitos. My interest in them is in providing meals for large sunfish; they seem to do very well at this.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If mosquitofish are native to your area of Texas, stocking them is up to you... Personally, I think there are better forage options out there. If they aren't native to your part of Texas, I wouldn't stock them as they are very invasive and can affect native fish populations.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
One of the ongoing debates around here is how certain fish get into ponds that weren't stocked. A lot of people believe that birds bring them on their feet/feathers. I don't believe that. I believe they are either stocked, sometimes inadvertently, with other fish or get washed in.

And then there is the gam. Although rarely stocked, it just seems to happen in areas of East Texas.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I've had gams from day 1, and there are no negatives that I have seen. I use them for bait, and have caught just about every species in Louisiana with them.

They're not a problem for spawning in my pond. No way they could get to any fish eggs. They occupy and feed in very shallow water along the banks. They know if they go into water greater than 6" deep, their life expectancy is 10 seconds. I don't think any of my fish spawn in water that shallow. (LMB, BG, RES, BC)

The BG, BC, and LMB wait patiently by shallow areas waiting for the gams to venture out. When they do, they get hammered. (sorry Jeff).

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Gams have been used so much in California for mosquito control that I think you'd be hard pressed to find a BOW that doesn't have them in it.

No worries Bobad, I fear that I shall have to wear a scarlet "G" for the rest of my Pond Boss days.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't know if this is still applicable in today's money crunch, but when I lived in So. Cal. the state or county vector control had Gams. All you had to do is go to them and they'd give you some for free.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Zep Essup, they still did up until a year or two ago. I'm not sure if they still do now. DIED got his Gams from the County of El Dorado. Out here UC Davis is pushing toward using Sacramento Perch as a mosquito deterrent for Northern California. They are native to Northern California and supposedly eat far more mosquito larvae that do Gams.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 10:22 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy