Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,089
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS), 747 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#160 07/16/03 01:41 PM
I
OP Offline
I
I have a small pond, less than 1 acre, we stocked bass and channel cats. I built it about 5 years ago and added perch we caught in lake texoma. It seems all of the perch were green sunfish, I thought some were bluegills but now we never see any, only the sunfish. They are fun to catch but seem to be millions. My question is will so many perch hurt my bass and cats growth rate? If so should I purchase the hybrid bluegill and stock to slow the sunfish population?

#161 07/18/03 11:02 AM
P
P
I don't yet consider myself an "expert", but have been actively managing a couple of smaller ponds for several years and have some experience with overpopulations of panfish (usually here in Iowa it's an overpopulation of bluegill, though). First, I would think that adding bluegill - hybrid or normal - will pressure the sunfish population because they will compete for the same food sources. However, even though this may reduce the sunfish population, this will still mean lots of panfish, rather than the more sporting fish you seem to want.

I would instead be happy that I have a good base in the food chain and add more predators to eat these little fish up and grow large. I know for a fact that catfish of all varieties LOVE to eat green sunfish - it's one of my favorite baits to use to catch them! I also catch bass when fishing with sunnies so I know bass like to eat them too.

So I would suggest that you either add another predator species that you always wanted in your pond (maybe smallmouth, stripers or wipers?) or go catch some nicer cats and bass locally (maybe using your sunnies as bait?) and put them in your pond. I would also suggest that you tell anyone who fishes your pond to throw out every sunfish they catch in the meantime.

BTW: If you want to intentionally target the sunnies, think small. I use a lightweight pole and reel, 4 lb mono, tiny painted jig-heads (1/32, 1/64 and even 1/80 oz. jigs - some bare and some with feathers, etc.) and tip them with a wax worm or a small piece of earthworm less than an inch in length. Put this under a small regular bobber, or better yet a slip bobber rig with a small split shot and you'll be surprised how much fun you have catching the little buggers. If you can't find that small of jig heads, a friend of mine just uses a really really small hook, small split-shot and the same bait setup under a bobber with good success.

Hope this helps.

#162 07/18/03 04:54 PM
Z
Z
Also try a perch trap baited with dog or cat food. If it is canned just poke holes in the can and put it in the trap. If it is dry food put in a little baggie fill with water and poke little holes all over the bag and then put in trap.

Fight'n Texas aggie class of 09!
Zach #195146 12/11/09 01:34 PM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello ibfarming and welcome to Pond Boss. You have been blessed by the presence of the most magnificent species of fresh water fish known to man. You should feel honored that this species chose your pond to occupy. Any fool can have BG, they are like rabbits, but the mighty green sunfish, it's beauty almost unsurpassed, yet behind that beauty lies a great warrior, a survivor, a masterpiece.

Ignore what Paul and Zack have advised and embrace this gift. You have been chosen. Much like the great apostles, you may not have asked for this duty but now you are bound to it. Treat your GSF with loving kindness and the respect that they deserve. Know that this road is a difficult one. You will have blasphemers and nay sayers taunt you and and call you names but know that you are serving a higher authority and do not be detracted from enjoying the gift that has been presented to you. Know that these heretics espouse hatred due to ignorance and prejudice and forgive them their weaknesses.

Also know that should you chose to ignore my advice then heed this warning. Paul disappeared in 2005. Zack in 2007. Just don't mess with us.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JHAP:

I think ibfarming has disregarded your advice, and you need to check with the death star operator; ibfarming disappeared in '03.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
somebody flip on the Yolk-signal

esshup #195153 12/11/09 01:52 PM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: esshup
JHAP:

I think ibfarming has disregarded your advice, and you need to check with the death star operator; ibfarming disappeared in '03.

I noticed that he only made this one post. I was hoping to save his soul before all was lost.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Brettski #195155 12/11/09 01:54 PM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Brettski

He has his own signal?

Does he have a costume as well?

Does he have a Yolk-Cave?

A Yolk-Mobile?

Is Rex the equivalent of Robin?

When Yolk and Rex are together does Rex speak like Robin as in "Holy Tilapia, Yolk Sack."

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Brettski #195156 12/11/09 02:01 PM
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
 Originally Posted By: Brettski

I'm going to give him a pass here, a perhaps misplaced humane gesture. The 6 plus year gap between post and response suggests to me that JHAP's cerebral function has been adversely affected by his recently experienced hypothermia. Like a tilapia, the cold has made him sluggish and impaired. Of course, that doesn't explain his premorbid fascination with GSF. That appears to be due to some intrinsic defect of reasoning, rather than any extrinsic influence.

Yolk Sac #195160 12/11/09 02:59 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Like a tilapia, the cold has made him sluggish and impaired.

easy prey for coons....no wonder he didn't follow the drag-tracks

Brettski #195162 12/11/09 03:02 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I can just see it.
A family of raccoons holed up in a cave with a little fire going. JHAP is hog-tied, laying in the dark corner with a GSF stuffed in his yap.
How would the 'coon-versation go...?

Brettski #195163 12/11/09 03:25 PM
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
"I don't care what momma says, THAT ain't gonna taste like chicken!"

Yolk Sac #195167 12/11/09 04:06 PM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I guess there's no end to JHAP's suffering. \:D

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Momma coon says, "paw should we core the beast and greenie before we roast im?

Papa coon reply, " If aint gonna get my knife dirty on dem varmints."

Baby coon shrieks,..............................

tune in next week for the exciting climax or 'JHAP, roasted, toasted and pitted'.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Hey IB, getting back to your question. No problem with Green Sunfish. They are just another mouthful for bass and cats. And actually, an easier mouthful due to their more elongated shape. The only downside to them is their lack of spawning as compared to bluegill. Personally, I like green sunfish but their reputation has suffered due to being maligned by the ignorant and unwashed.

Hybrid bluegill are a fish that I don't care for unless you have a small catfish pond with a feeder.

Since GSF only spawn annually, they cannot handle the heavy predation of bass to become an perpetual forage/protein base for your predators. I would drop in several hundred 5 to 6 inch bluegill to get them established while the GSF provide the groceries. BTW, with a water hole of less than one acre, culling bass, not GSF, will be your biggest problem.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 12/12/09 07:20 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I'm telling ya I don't get no respect.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I'm telling ya I don't get no respect.

Read more closely:
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Personally, I like green sunfish but their reputation has suffered due to being maligned by the ignorant and unwashed.

That's either respect or fear.

I'd guess respect.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
good suggestions by DD1 on stocking adult bluegill. Then you will get some natural hybrids.

Last edited by burgermeister; 12/12/09 04:51 PM.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Jim, I thought about that after I posted. However at 5 to 6 inches, I figure there will be enough female bluegill that are already knocked up to get some BG reproduction.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
BG promiscuous, but greenies are worser, just with a shorter erotic phase.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday