Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,987
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
10 members (Boondoggle, Snipe, catscratch, Deancutler, Bobbss, esshup, Swamp_Yankee, FishinRod, Pat Williamson, Steve Clubb), 1,181 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Quote:
...and just exactly what does all this have to do with fatheads ?
After reading some of the posts on this thread I could but won't comment. \:D

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
P
P
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
Back in the mid 60's, there was a scandal.

Fathead minnows were being delivered to farm houses in milk bottles by a rogue Kentucky milk delivery company called Jaegerwald Milk & Spice. Many did not know it, but there was a regional fish prohibition going on across Kentucky, and JM&S had deep political ties. Shortly thereafter, the rival political party gave a sanction to company, OMJE, to pose as JM&S employees, and then to drive around in JM&S trucks making deliveries. But instead of delivering fathead minnows, they were to deliver brown bullheads. Of course, OMJE was the DBA for 'Ole Mudcat Joe Enterprises.
To this very day some of the old OMJE and JM&S gang members slip in and put bullhead fry in their rivals fathead spawning ponds making it impossible to get a delivery of pure fatheads. I suggest Brettski you will need to examine each one individually to be sure. One fathead, two fathead ........

Please no more rain for a month! :|
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Once upon a time, back when it used to rain, Aah never mind; I can't top Sunils Baloney.

Brettski, I'm really starting to worry about Fatheads. Especially the predatory Dr. Jaegerwald strain. I understand that their mouth points up instead of down. Yessir, a classic case of upside down, double whammy, reverse engineering. If you proceed, Don't go near the water and strain the milk.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
The Northern sport of Milktruck Racing sprung from out of this Minnow-legging subculture. Unlike it's Southern equivalent, it never caught on, only because "MLMR" (Minnow-Legging Milktruck Racing) doesn't roll of the tongue like "NASCAR". This was a darn shame; IMHO there's no finer a sport for spectators than Milktruck Racing, except perhaps Balkan Dirt Diving.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have decided to hold off on stocking any forage base at this time. I want to wait it out thru the winter and focus on nailing perfect timing in the Spring with the correct forage base. I can manage the temptation and excitement (for now), so it seems the sensible approach gets me no closer by throwing anything in now.
We visited Liberty yesterday to show the changes to one of my pals. Strangely, it is the first visit there this year where we did no work...kinda nice .
We got about 1.75" - 2" of rain 5 days earlier; a nice dowser. The pool level came up about 8". This is an encouraging verification of our watershed = impounded water equation. We're gettin' there:

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Brettski,

That's interesting about the equation...don't know if you were serious or not ;\) ...but I track that relationship in all my ponds and it varies widely. In a large pond with a slightly less than 1 to 1 ratio (watershed to impounded water), I reliably get 2 inches of rise for every 1 inch of rain. Contrast that with another pond with a 20 to 1 ratio which raises about 8 inches for every inch of rain.

Those relationships hold very well as long as the ground contains moisture...if its dry, of course, you get absorption.

Be careful...you're the only other person I've known that talked about this ratio...you may be a pond nerd if...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Be careful...you're the only other person I've known that talked about this ratio...you may be a pond nerd if...
...you don't heed the collective advice of your PB comrades when formulating. ;\)
-
Yeah, I was serious, but surely don't hold this to be analytical nor conclusive by any stretch; more of an observation. I gotta laugh to think that this observation comes about based on precip calc's based on accu-weather figures from a recording station miles away, my neighbor's input, and the size of the puddles on the drive coming in....I haven't even put up a rain gauge yet :rolleyes: \:D . I doubt that it even qualifies for averages. Hey, remember ML...you and I are a few of the folks that actually read and applied some of those geeky equations in Pub 590. I still remember the 4 soil types.... \:\)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Hey Ski you have at least two places in the pond where it is deep enough to ice fish this winter plus enough water for good skating . You should try some snow pics and a few more non-working events. \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm linking this Food Chain Thread with the parallel Help me adopt my fish family thread .
Unless someone jerks the steering wheel sharply, it appears that the basic stocking plan is going to SMB, YP, and RES. It's mid January; I think I better get a little more serious. Can I re-ignite this thread a little now that the stocking plan is somewhat settled?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Brettski, Forget it. We know you well enough by now to know that the stocking plan is anything but settled. I figure you're about 3 days away from pumping this sucker dry and adding more structure.

BTW, have you considered some unsightly brush piles? Your present structure seems, well, kinda sterile to me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Davidson1:
Brettski, Forget it. We know you well enough by now to know that the stocking plan is anything but settled. I figure you're about 3 days away from pumping this sucker dry and adding more structure.
ROFLOL! \:D

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...I'm lookin' for the black penneyloafer shoe polish right now.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!