Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,132
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
12 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, FishinRod, jpsdad, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689), 957 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you're referring to the opening being at least 3x the pellet size as the problem, then no, that isn't the problem because the AM 600 pellets are roughly 1/4" diameter.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
Would the spin plate be too close to the hopper?

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
I have been racking my brains out to come up with some of the tricks we have used in the past to get material moving in a silo/hopper, and to do it cheaply and easily. From the sound of what the guys are saying, the opening is more then enough to discount particule binding/lodging in the opening. But, it's happening, so considerations are:
Moisture (As Greg says) and possibly exotheric (spelling is terrible, but basicaly, builds up heat): Since this material is hydroscopic, it's going to attract moisture, like lime does. Moisture is going to expand the particule and really increase the surface tension. This allows the material to actually hold it's self up.
Wall friction: When we work with difficult to move material, we do two things, (1) line the hopper walls with Stainless Steel, (2) Provide minimum 60 degree slope to the come. These two things effectivily prevent the material from sticking to hopper walls, along with the steep slope, prevents bridging.
We use vibrators and air cannons to also help us when necessary.
Corrictive actions for moisture are to make sure that internal temperature of hopper is the same as outside temperature. Make sure you have air circulation in the hopper, that is critical. Drill holes (which is what I did on my little moultries) in the underside. If this material is somewhat exotheric, heat will build up, and the cool outside temperature will create moisture in the hopper. You'll never get the material out if that happens. Ok, I'm done for a while.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think your suggestions are valid. On my ADF75, portions of the lower part of the hopper are coated with a tarry like substance, which I think they use for rustproofing and as a sealer. The actual bottom of the hopper is flat, the sides don't end at the opening. If I can, I'll take pics of inside the ADF75. (don't know what the roads will be like tomorrow - the unit is 2 miles away)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Possible, but probably not. Would be a good test to see though. I would try to lower the spin plate while a jam was occuring. This may be simplier said then done though. If the material starts to flow, then you would know that the hopper and material are just not setup/designed correctly and right on the edge of plugging. If it did flow, you would more then likely see ratholing, where the material flows only from the middle of the pile and the sides fold in. This is the age old issue of first in, last out. This would indicate the hopper walls are to resistive (carbon steel vereses stainless steel) to material flow, along with shallow walls, not enough slope.

W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
The bottom line for me is I own two Aqua Pro feeders and both constantly jam. I can deal with replacing timers, which I've done on three occasions, but the jams are tough to deal with. Its disheartening to visit the pond after a week away to find the feeders have been jammed all week.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I understand the frustration. The change in timers fixed my problems. Call Feederman with AP and ask. The times I used 600 the jam appeared to be caused by the feed being to big (just the wrong size) and getting caught between the bottom of the spinner (thrower)and the port opening. When the wheel jams the opening (wheel area aka port aka the openig on the front of the feeder) fills with food and the wheel will no longer turn. A classic mechanical jam and not a motor , opening size , hopper or timer problem.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: WSimanovich
The bottom line for me is I own two Aqua Pro feeders and both constantly jam. I can deal with replacing timers, which I've done on three occasions, but the jams are tough to deal with. Its disheartening to visit the pond after a week away to find the feeders have been jammed all week.

Mine's been down for 3-4 months. When I call AquaPro, he refers me to the retailer, NaturalOutdoors. When I call the NaturalOutdoors, they refers me to AquPro! I'm going back to hand feeding. It's not as regular, but far more reliable in the long run!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Well that doesn't sound like a good example of customer service. Sorry to hear about your feeder issues Bobad.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: kenAbbott
Possible, but probably not. Would be a good test to see though. I would try to lower the spin plate while a jam was occuring. This may be simplier said then done though. If the material starts to flow, then you would know that the hopper and material are just not setup/designed correctly and right on the edge of plugging. If it did flow, you would more then likely see ratholing, where the material flows only from the middle of the pile and the sides fold in. This is the age old issue of first in, last out. This would indicate the hopper walls are to resistive (carbon steel vereses stainless steel) to material flow, along with shallow walls, not enough slope.

I'd like to get a clarification from some of the people that are having jamming problems. Is the blockage stemming from feed not coming out of the hopper, or actually plugging somewhere further past that? What feed is causing the problem? I do notice the "ratholing" problem that Ken explains in his previous post, and I have had a plugging problem with generic food not flowing out of the hopper (pellet size too big and bridging the hole). The flip side is I've had too much food coming out at once even on the lowest setting (AquaMax 500) and Greg Grimes sent me some block-off plates. Those reduced the hole in the bottom of the hopper so I could feed a reasonable amount of AM 500 instead of 2#-3# at a time. IIRC, I enlarged the hole in the block-off plate to 7/8" and that seems to be a good size for the AM 500 for my application.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Well, to me, it's obviously the feed manufacturers fault. They should make the feed round instead of cube shaped(at least my larger feed is cube shaped.)

Seriously, I agree with Ewest's example, but not with the accessment that the feed is too big. The vertical impeller blades pass too far away from the feed tube housing, thus different sized feeds jam between the plastic and the metal spinner, dependent upon how the individual particles are oriented upon close proximity and contact with the spinner. There will never be a fix with all the customer service in the world; only be redesign.
Trying to mix your own sizes, ie, 3/16 and 1/4 is the worst thing you can try to do. (still trying to save up for TH, donations accepted.

Last edited by burgermeister; 12/20/09 02:16 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
You guys continue to make my hand feeding seem good, tendonitis and all.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
And if you continue experiencing food jamming while hand feeding, may I suggest two "Advil" to assist.

I subscribe!
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
In the words of (of wait no politics mentioned here).
'If you put lipstick on a pig it is still a pig."

To quote my earlier post: (FEEDERS)

Has anyone else noticed that virtually every post on this subject gets into the many, many problems people have with virtually every feeder except the Cadillac and the Lexus.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Bing #196120 12/20/09 07:26 PM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I personally don't understand why the Cadillac and Lexus companies (Sweeney and Texas Hunter, ahem) don't make a feeder just a little closer to the price range of the cheapos. Look at how many more people bought Beamers and Mercedes once those companies came out with downsized, cheaper (relatively) models.

I think if either company referenced above came out with a standing directional feeder in the $300 price range, Aquapro, Moultrie, OnTime, etc. would go out of business within a year. At the very least, I think Sweeney or TH would make a lot of money. (And a lot of us that can't afford them now would have better, more reliable feeders.)

I bought a Moultrie Feedcaster recently, their top-of-the-line, and it will throw 600, but it also throws most of the food within a few feet of the bank. As in easy bank range for any kingfisher that should come along (and there are plenty around these ponds). If either of the quality companies made a standing feeder in this price range I'd never look at another Moultrie or Aquapro.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
My experience with fish feeders goes like this: You get what you pay for. I dealt with 4 different manufacturers before I settled with Texas Hunter, and with Texas Hunter I intend to stay. I've also had pretty good luck with Sweeney. Since time is money, having to spend time helping clients deal with rediculous problems over the telephone simply eats away at my profit from the original sale.

Before long, it's not worth it....better off to feed by hand if possible in many cases if you can't afford a quality feeder.

It's ALL about the fish!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Bobad, seems if you took the ap feeder back to where you bought it, with a little passionate persuasion you could get your money back. If they think you are not leaving until you get your money back maybe they will understand the problem is with there product and not you. I had the same problem and I persuaded memphis net and twine to credit my card and the same day bought a tx hunter. It cost me 230.00 more than the ap feeder but I haven't had a minutes problem with the tx hunter. GET YOUR MONEY BACK!!! ITS YOUR MONEY AND THEIR SORRY PRODUCT. DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER. If that is possible. Mike

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: overtonfisheries
My experience with fish feeders goes like this: You get what you pay for. I dealt with 4 different manufacturers before I settled with Texas Hunter, and with Texas Hunter I intend to stay. I've also had pretty good luck with Sweeney. Since time is money, having to spend time helping clients deal with rediculous problems over the telephone simply eats away at my profit from the original sale.

Before long, it's not worth it....better off to feed by hand if possible in many cases if you can't afford a quality feeder.

And that pretty much sums it up perfectly. Nicely done, Todd.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
Being stuck with an AquaPro feeder doesn't necessarily imply one can't afford a quality feeder. When someone buys a fish feeder, such as the one marketed and distributed by AquaPro, one would think it would feed fish. In the case of the AP feeders, this is not necessarily true. Their marketing leads one to believe this feeder will reliably broadcast food. As I can attest; it does not.
I’m not an industrial engineer, nor do I care to dismantle and redesign a feeder in order to accommodate different varieties of food. My efforts end when the batteries are charged, food is poured into the hopper and the feeder is pointed in the right direction. In this regard the AquaPro feeder is a big zero. I’ll chalk this one up to a lesson learned and look to upgrade. In the meantime, AquaPro has one seriously disgruntled customer.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Well said WSimanovich.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
More than one...

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I couldn't find any threads on the Texas Hunter FT100. I understand that it's not a large, true directional or a free standing feeder but for the money, could you make it work at your pond? Or, are all hanging feeders capable of reliable feeding? Would a wide arced shield attached to two bottom post/legs (on the side you don't want the food to be hurled) help deflect the food over a larger area. TH's directional attachment closes 3 sides and is opened at the bottom so, that food falls straight down. FT100

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
That TH machine looks like just a simple scatter feeder; 1 motor turning a spinning plate.
The thing that sets the expensive TH fish feeders apart is that it has a powerful motor turning a centrifugal blower which actuallly blows the pellets out.
That's where the other companies are missing the boat. If they can produce and sell similar devices as the FT100 for much less, then they can make a similar design as the top end TH and sell it at similar or more margins, regain a good reputation and not have so many pissed off ex customers.
Simply put, TH is making a killing due to having the only one of it's kind.

Last edited by burgermeister; 12/22/09 06:34 PM.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
basf50- short answer NO. It is not desigend to throw food out in that manner and fish food gums up vs. corn it is desigend for.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I need to correct the model number.... it's a TF100. IMO I would rather make this TH unit work, oppose to an AP considering the feedback of their product(s).

Merry Christmas all!

Last edited by basf50; 12/25/09 08:07 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday