Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls
18,474 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,936
Posts557,711
Members18,475
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
15 members (Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24, Theeck, Mainer, catscratch, FireIsHot, Layne, Sunil, Abaggs, homewardbound, Zep, Augie, e_stallman, FishinRod, canyoncreek), 900 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#193935 12/01/09 06:26 PM
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Chicago River, that is.

UAS Today

Chicago Sun Times

Today's Sun Times
They rotenoned a 6 mile stretch to allow the electric barrier fence to be shut down for service. My buddy delivered some barriers to where they are building a 2nd fence, he bs'd with one of the guys for a bit. He said that the new fence takes ac to dc, and it puts enough current into the water to give a 2 volt per square inch shock to whateve is in the water. There are "NO FISHING, SWIMMING OR BOATING" signs on the river.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
He said that the new fence takes ac to dc, and it puts enough current into the water to give a 2 volt per square inch shock to whateve is in the water. There are "NO FISHING, SWIMMING OR BOATING" signs on the river.

Sounds like a new place for the mob or gangs to dump bodies.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
In an attempt to kill asian carp, we kill everything.

Just seems like a strange concept to me.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Why not allow commercial netting of these fish maybe even with subsidies and encourage using them for fish meal and fish oil feed products?

Seems like such an incredible waste to rotenone them and throw them in a landfill....

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy
Why not allow commercial netting of these fish maybe even with subsidies and encourage using them for fish meal and fish oil feed products?

Seems like such an incredible waste to rotenone them and throw them in a landfill....

The problem is if even one of these carp gets into the Great Lakes it's a disaster. Netting never gets all the fish. At least that's been my experience.

I would bet a high percentage of the fish in this river are rough fish anyway.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Agreed.

I'm thinking as more of an ongoing thing once the magic electro fence is turned back on though. Thin the numbers as much as possible BEFORE they get to the fence and maybe make a small industry out of it to boot. It seems that you could develop a pretty solid method of harvesting considering their reaction to electric current that would avoid a lot of other "good" fish in the process.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My take on it is that they killed the river so they could work on the one and only fence that's up and running. They are working on building a 2nd fence, that's where my buddy dropped off the barricades. They found asian carp DNA in the river above the working fence, since they took samples in June or July, and it took 'till a few weeks ago to get the results back, what has happened in the meantime? I wonder what they found the DNA on (or in)?

Could the DNA been carried upriver by any of the boats that went thru the electric fence?

Too bad they couldn't make a permanent barrier to fish, and have all the fish go thru a fish ladder system that would somehow separate the bad fish from the good fish, either manually or by other means. Unfortunately, I think this is a battle that can't be won.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
As they said in Jaws when first seeing the shark - you better get a bigger boat. They should use every method they have if they expect to succeed.

Last edited by ewest; 12/01/09 07:58 PM.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Chicago River, that is.

At least now it can vote.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
At least now it can vote.

What do you mean "now"? It always was good for at least 1 vote, maybe more depending how far behind Daley was!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy
Agreed.

I'm thinking as more of an ongoing thing once the magic electro fence is turned back on though. Thin the numbers as much as possible BEFORE they get to the fence and maybe make a small industry out of it to boot. It seems that you could develop a pretty solid method of harvesting considering their reaction to electric current that would avoid a lot of other "good" fish in the process.

Yeah but many of the urban rivers up here have mostly rough fish in them and the rough fish are probably loaded with contaminants as they are bottom feeders. Furthermore most of our sewage plants up here receive storm drain water. That is, when it rains a lot the sewage treatment plant get deluged with water so the plants open their gates completely to the river. You couldn't pay me to eat fish out of most of our rivers in this part of the country. Sadly many of them go chocolate brown when it rains heavily too.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/01/09 10:27 PM.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
When I posted earlier the article on this reported by USA Today. See this thread for their article: http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=193903#Post193903

This barrier is only going to be a temp solution, for a permanent solution they need to cave in part of the canal between Lake Michigan and the river and this problem is no more from this angle. The canal was used to clean up the Great Lakes from sewage runoff of Chicago and to make the water run away from Lake Michigan. It has served its purpose and no longer needs to be connected.

Can we get bumper stickers made up that says: Save The Great Lakes From Invasive Asian Specimens...Vote To Collapse The Canal

On second thought we might need to reword that! \:\)

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Hmmmmm boy I could throw an analogy on top of this one......
Bottom line I see is that change is inevitable and what you do about it can mean many things.
Sure the fishing in the great lakes may go down the tubes.
A multibillion dollar industry. But what will letting these fish take over do ? As with every change it's just fear of the unknown.
In several thousand years the great lakes will be only puddles any way!

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ceadmin
When I posted earlier the article on this reported by USA Today. See this thread for their article: http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=193903#Post193903

This barrier is only going to be a temp solution, for a permanent solution they need to cave in part of the canal between Lake Michigan and the river and this problem is no more from this angle. The canal was used to clean up the Great Lakes from sewage runoff of Chicago and to make the water run away from Lake Michigan. It has served its purpose and no longer needs to be connected.

Can we get bumper stickers made up that says: Save The Great Lakes From Invasive Asian Specimens...Vote To Collapse The Canal

On second thought we might need to reword that! \:\)

This makes sense to me...good idea ceadmin

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I am not so sure it would be easy to shut the canal as its operation is probably controlled by State compacts between the various states and the Fed. Gov. requiring everyone’s consent. Not sure of that as to the canal but inter system water transfers from the lakes to the Miss are.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed