Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts558,003
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
8 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, phinfan, catscratch, Sunil, esshup, Cliff76169, jmartin), 1,232 guests, and 230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hang_loose and everybody here that made this happen you bring tears to me eyes. What a great bunch!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Didn't want to start a new thread, but there are plenty of dog people in this forum so I wanted to post it here and see if anyone could help. Saw this on our local Fish & Game forum.

Quote:
Dairyland greyhound racetrack in Kenosha WI. is closing Dec. 31, 2009. Up to 900 greyhounds need to be adopted or they will be euthanized. only 6 weeks to get this task done. contact JoAnne Kehoe, operations director at (312) 559-0887 or the dairyland adoption enter direct(262) 612-8256

From the sound of it, this is a real deal. The track is closing, and while WI law provides they must be placed, it also has many limitations. If the kennel cannot operate, or it is a financial burden to the owner or community, the animals may be euthanized.
Greyhounds make really awesome pets, they're mellow, laid back, GREAT with kids and families.
If you've considered a pet at all recently, do a hound a favour and give them a home, please.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Thanksgiving Mason update...

I sneaked a little turkey and stuffing in his dinner tonight. He is stretched out on a comforter in front of the TV (Texas vs Texas A&M game) sound asleep. From what I can see, his dreams are mellowing out.

My son weighed him last night and he came in at just over 80 lbs. I wish we would of weighed him the first night he arrived so I could show his progress. You can feel his rib cage less and less every day.

No fights lately. They are all getting used to each other. I cannot get him to stop scratching . He gets to scratching on different spots till he starts bleeding. When he gets up from his nap, its bathtime and medicine time again. When he hears the bath water starting now, he throws on the brakes so I have to pick him up and put him in the tub. But he has happy-feet when he gets out.

If my wife gets home early enough tonight, I'll have her put a couple more pictures of Mason on here.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!!!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sounds like he is coming along great... Thanks for the update!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hang_Loose and family are taking very good care of the Pond Boss mascot. Sounds to me like he couldn't have found a better home!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks HL !!!!

Lets not turn this marvelous thread on true human kindness into a discussion of criminal activities of PETA and their ilk like look-a-likes. The info is here on prior threads.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
thanks for the update HL! We are all looking forward to more updates and pictures! Can bathing him too much add to the irritation of the skin? What shampoo are you using? My lab had some skin problems - a special shampoo from the vet helped but it was only to be used once a week. That along with the healthy dog food that Anna sent should eventually improve his skin condition. Thanks again to you and your for all your kindness!!!! Mason had a lot to give thanks for yesterday!

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Thanks HL !!!!

Lets not turn this marvelous thread on true human kindness into a discussion of criminal activities of PETA and their ilk like look-a-likes. The info is here on prior threads.

Understood Eric. Good point.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
ewest, Was your last post directed to me? You lost me if it was.

Sue Cruz, Mason didn't get a bath last night because it got to late. The shampoo is made by PURINA. It is a moisturizing shampoo that is supposed to help moisturize dry and irritated skin. I'm probably getting carried away with the baths so I'll limit it to one a week.

I'm putting neosporin(sp?)on where he keeps scratching and bleeding at.

His ribs are disappearing more and more. I'm trying to fatten him up between the end of his rib cage and his hips. This guy has a really healthy appetite.

I'm going to call Anna tomorrow because I've still got a few questions about Mason.

I'll try to keep everyone informed...

A
Anna Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Can't wait to talk to you Mark. I've got your address and will send out some oatmeal shampoo that has absolutely no detergent or soap. It has coconut based cleansers and may help. Also, along with the PM I sent you it could be a yeast problem of the skin. Typically goes hand in hand with the other stuff I mentioned. It's where the smell comes from.

Limiting/eliminating carbohydrates helps with the yeast. Probiotics will help too and I'll get some of those out to you too.

If it's not fit for you to eat, what makes you think it's good for your dog?

AHAHM

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: hang_loose
ewest, Was your last post directed to me? You lost me if it was.

No HL, I believe it was the short discussion I was having with Cecil and Anna. I think it was deleted. Nothing to see here.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
HL my post was a request not to corrupt this outstanding thread with PETA's criminal activity. That material is on other threads if people want to look at it. No problem with what was posted just the location. This thread is to important for many here to put that in it.

The part of my post about "human kindness" applies to many of the good folks here - just consider everyone involved in Mason's story for example.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Sorry, I thought I posted something wrong and couldn't figure out what it was. Thanks..

We are going out to dinner now and then a few drinks. I'm still trying to get my wife to post the last few pictures of Mason. Maybe when we get home........

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Here's my little stinkerpot relaxing under the wife's computer desk.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here's Lucky - he was abandoned in the woods by the ponds. Picked him up at 4 mths emaciated with mange and covered with ticks and took him home. He has given us much more than we gave him.

Last edited by ewest; 11/29/09 09:00 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Nice Eric!

Mine is a little peculiar compared to other dogs I've had. We've finally figured out why she sleeps in front of the door downstairs when we go to bed. Apparently it's a guard dog mentality as she has no problem sleeping in our bed during the day!

She also barks at customers but all I have to do is say peanut butter and she will scamper upstairs with me for peanut butter. Some guard dog! Absolutely bonkers for peanut butter!

BTW this breed according to book on the breed rarely barks. Wrong! Apparently my dog didn't ready the book!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/29/09 09:50 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, she doesn't bark that much! I'll have to remember to bring something for her next time I'm over.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Mason chillin with his posse. He is getting along great with the the other males now. He is learning how to play tug of war now with play toys without fighting.

I had two pictures but they're both about the same. Anyway I'll try to keep everyone updated.

Mark and Theresa

Last edited by hang_loose; 11/29/09 08:40 PM. Reason: sp
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil, she doesn't bark that much! I'll have to remember to bring something for her next time I'm over.

Not with you Scot. But with customers she won't shut up!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/29/09 08:47 PM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Sure glad to see Mason is finding his place in his new home!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
\:\)

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Sorry no pictures this time but I promise to before the end of the year.

As of earlier tonight, Mason is weighing 86.9 lbs. So that is close to 7 lbs he has gained since arriving here.

He hates being cold. The first time I let him out when snow was on the ground, he bolted back to the house as soon as his feet touched it. He is used to it now and likes eating it. Also now since he has this extra energy, he will run around the pond once or twice just as fast as he can go.

Mason is getting along great with the other dogs now..............except the last female that came out of heat. I talked to Anna about this and she said that Pepsie (the female) was showing a "BOTH" attitude. I asked her what that meant and she said "BITCH OF THE HOUSE" attitude. That cracked me up. I told my wife about that but I was to tired to make a joke and fight all night about it.
Anyway Mason will not hardly come near her. She tore him up and I've had to drain some blood out of his ear flap(kinda like a blood blister).

Actually we are not sure if he really is a lab. He might be part but he has some "short haired" hunting dog in him.

Hope everyone had a good holiday and I'll get some pictures on here soon.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks for the update. Sounds like Mason is eating regularly and has a nice home and place to play. That is a whole lot more than he could have expected and way more than he had.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I'm looking forward to biting seeing him again next spring! \:D

Ambassador