Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
10 members (Augie, IND1371, dg84s, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 766 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Walt, on one 1 acre pond, I am down 7 ft. On another one, I'm only down 4 ft.

That's why the old adage of anything deeper than 10 ft. is wasted just doesn't count here.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I've always been a fan of deeper ponds and I don't even live in a desert. The droughts I've lived through here, which still don't compare to what you guys see on a yearly basis, were enough for me.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Wahoo Bob
Where is New Braunfels if it is not in Texas.

An inch a day is a lot. On a hot dry windy day you can see it go

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I live in New Braunfels TX but my pond is in la salle county way south of here we even have birds that are found no other place in the usa

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Just wanted to post another update that my pond is still holding steady and doesnt appear to be seeping one bit! I'm thinking of adding some more DB-100 this winter maybe during a freeze/thaw cycle and hope maybe that will help seal the banks up a little higher. I'm at 6-7 feet right now and i'm wanting to get it to at least 8 foot if not 10! I wish the best of luck to everyone else out there trying to seal their leaky earth basins up...i know it's a pain but in the end when you have a beautiful body of water it's all worth it!!

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Wish my update was as good as belkins456. We've had some good rain and my pond level is just about 'back' at the same level where I applied the 18 gallons of the DB-100. Now I'm starting to see seepage again at the toe of the dam. I've been skeptical since the application of the DB-100 because the water level continued to drop but the seepage at the toe disappeared. I've also had fixmypond's post in the back of my mind the whole time. Seems like maybe there is something to what the one post wonder said about the DB-100 not holding the seal once the water level recedes and then returns. Or... maybe my seepage was not fixed by the DB-100 and the reduced head pressure from the lowering water level did the job. In any case, I'm going to keep watching it to see what happens next so I can come up with another plan.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Man i'm sorry to hear that cheezy! It makes me wonder if my pond was about to seal on it's own anyways and i have the DB-100 undue credit? I appear to be the only person who is having good luck with this stuff?? I do notice that my pond will seep significantly after it gets up above where it is currently sealed off. I was hoping to go back in a few weeks and put 5 gallons of DB-200 pellets out mixed with bentonite and work it into ground with rubber tire compaction from 4 wheel drive John Deere. I figure if I can't get the pond topped off this year then i'll probably never be able to considering we have a 10 inch surplus of rain for the year right now. I did notice on the Pond Doctors website they have the "new and improved" DB-110 out now which is 40 % stronger...I tell you if this stuff really is a hoax, we've made these guys a ton of money overnight with this website! I may start developing my own product DB-500 next week and give it a try on here! I'll sell it for the low low price of 30 bucks a gallon! haha

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Well, I'm going to continue to monitor it while I figure out a new plan. I don't think it is a hoax but I also don't think it is the magic juice either. Does work well as a clarifier though and I would probably have used it for that in the future if not for the price increase.

I noticed the change on the pond doctors website also. Prices went up and it is hard to tell what is a clarifier and what is a sealant although I think the product is suppose to work both ways. Also hard to see what is what as the DB-110 is referenced as the clarifier and the DB-100 the sealant. I didn't really see a new and improved...where did you read the 40% stronger?

haha...send me a sample of your DB-500 and I'll try it : )

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm sure the sudden burst of cash flow from Pond Boss helped speed along the website upgrade and credit card services they now offer. Before you had to mail a check in! I'm surprised they even talked me into that before as I'm waay too lazy for something like that! I called and talked with Doug a few days ago and that's when he explained the DB-110 formula as "new and improved". I believe he threw out the 40% better number but don't hold me to that. With the luck i've had with it i'm willing to throw another few hundred dollars at it this fall just to watch the water clear up again and hopefully raise water level another foot or two. I'll keep you posted. As for the DB-500 it may be a few weeks before I have it fully developed...basically i'm just pouring the DB-100 into my container, adding some food coloring to give you the illusion that you are getting a "new and improved formula" and relabeling it DB-500 so give me some time to create a label for it ..ha-ha!! We might as well have fun with this if nothing else! Keep in touch.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
OK, I see where you got the info. I thought I over looked it on the website. I think I will give them a call and see what they suggest. If I hear anything about having to add bentonite I'm going to move on to the next product I've been looking at (aquablok).

You should be rolling in the bucks soon. May I suggest pink dye or neon white for the color? Could see it better on the seepage side.

Last edited by cheezy1963; 10/26/09 11:27 PM.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Oh you don't have to add bentonite but I just figured why not?? I've looked at that aquablok stuff before I think ..you better get our your checkbook and be ready to add a few zeros!

It wont matter what color dye I use really because with this new revolutionary formula i'm putting together there will be no seepage to worry about!

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Revolutionary formula huh? OK, we're waiting.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I am showing my age here but am of the crowd that used black pepper to seal a leaking radiator. Maybe if we seeping pond owners would grow pepper plants on our banks and then mow them with discharge into the pond, our ponds would stop leaking. ;\)

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Sushi with a slight jalapeno flavor?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Never heard of using black pepper but hey i'll try anything! We are having 2 inch rains one after another here and i'm tired of watching water come up to the new level then slowly go back down to where it's currently sealed off! I hate to let all this good rain seep back down into the earth but i'm not sure what to do?? I may go ahead and get another 6 gallons of the DB110-or200 and see If i can get it to fill on up. It will be nice to worry about something else other than seeping pond one day. I'd like to move on to stocking and actually fishing and enjoying the pond for a change!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Black pepper will indeed seal a leaking radiator temporarily. It gets drawn into and caught in the crack, then swells.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sorta like using Oatmeal to quiet a noisy manual trans?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
While were on these random pond sealing ideas, seriously how about saw dust? I have a big lumber yard down the road and I could probably get as much of it as I want for free. How to haul it would be the question. I thought about covering the banks with it and then adding 6 gallons of the sticky DB-100 to bond it and seal it?? Just an idea...we had another 1.5 inch rain last night and my pond is way up but i'm sure will slowly seep back down to it's current sealed off level quickly. I currently also have about about 50% of the pond covered in leaves that fell during the wind yesterday that should help seal it too maybe?? I'm sure it wont help my organic load but we'll worry about that next year!

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I have no idea about saw dust but who knows....it may work. Surely there is an undiscovered substance out there that will do the job and very cheap.

belkins456, it sounds like our seepage problems are very similar. Pond fills then leaks back down. In my case, that it is about a 2ft vertical range from where it is almost full to where the seepage stops. I originally thought my problem was on the bank/dam face but now I'm not so sure. It could possibly be the preasure on inside toe of the dam which forces the water under the dam. Just more to think about.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
My concern with saw dust would be it floating and then the db100 or 110 (whichever is available) would make a mess of it. Perhaps a test in a bucket to see if the sawdust would sink in time for the db to still be active with it. Is the db110 the stuff that is supposed to be 40% more effective? When i got db100 from Doug at Pond Drs, he said they were still testing it for not hurting fish. Can i assume it is safe with fish now?

My DB report - jury still out. it has rained so much it is hard to tell, but it still looks like my pond loses about an inch a week and i am still unable to tell if that is evap. we have not owned it long enough to have a reference on the loss. plus it was so dry last fall, there is no comparison to the level then versus now. My deputy pond level monitor (wife) still contends we have helped the seepage. i continue to say time will tell. thanks to all reporters of db product progress. Rick

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Age showing again but saw dust was what we put in whining differentials to not fix them but quiet them.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I think it may make a mess initially but gravity always has it's way with objects. In a week or so it would find it's way down to the bottom and hopefully plug up some leaks?? Farmer rick i'm like you...we have had soo much rain that it's difficult to monitor. I do notice a quick loss though once it gets above the current level. I'll keep fingers crossed and see what happens over the winter! I've heard of putting saw dust in transmissions to keep them from slipping! If it will fix a transmission surely It will fix a leaky pond? ha

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Belkins..I live in Edmonson county,not far from you. Was wondering if you would be willing to help me stop my leak. New pond, but leaking pretty good.No visible leak behind dam. Maybe we could shoot both ponds with DB110.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Hey there BeespringKY. Wow you really are close by! Thats just right around the road! What kind of help are you needing exactly? How new is this pond?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Pond built in july. About 1/4 acre. It will get to about third full and then drop to a quarter full pretty fast.Within a week.Hoping DB-110 may be the answer..Saw your posts on the trash pump setup and thought maybe we could work together and solve my problem, and saw were you wanted to add more to your pond. I would just like to have your previous experience as I want to have as much success as possible.

Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday